Never sold 0 milage dealership 2016 tdi's. Anybody trying to buy one?

tdi_sport

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd tdi sport (limited edition) platinum grey and a 1996 dodge cummins diesel 4x4 5sp lots of mods and a 335d stock for now.
There are a few never sold tdi's sitting in quarantine. Is anybody trying to buy one? What are your respective dealerships saying in regards to models and trims and prices?

The purpose of this thread is to help members establish a base of knowledge in order to negotiate the most reasonable and forseeable puchase price.

Last edited:

Dr Chill

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 A8L TDI
As you stated, remaining 2015 and 2016 3.0 cars will not be released for sale until an approved fix is available. Pricing is still undetermined. I have dibs on a 2016 A8L at my dealership, obviously depends on pricing. I'm a buyer at 30% under MSRP.

Last edited:

tdi_sport

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd tdi sport (limited edition) platinum grey and a 1996 dodge cummins diesel 4x4 5sp lots of mods and a 335d stock for now.
As you stated, remaining 2015 and 2016 3.0 cars will not be released for sale until an approved fix is available. Pricing is still undetermined. I have dibs on a 2016 A8L at my dealership, obviously depends on pricing. I'm a buyer at 30% under MSRP.
Thats lovely. My name is on an a7 tecknic. If 30% under is the norm then im pleased because its the discount ive been offered.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I would imagine they will be inline with what was done in the US. $5k off a financed car and $8500 off a leased car. From full MSRP on the cars of course. Availability is dropping for these cars as well, so get them while you can.

90S

TDI
2016 Q5 TDI
Trying to buy 2016 Q5 3.0L TDI

There are a few never sold tdi's sitting in quarantine. Is anybody trying to buy one? What are your respective dealerships saying in regards to models and trims and prices?
The purpose of this thread is to help members establish a base of knowledge in order to negotiate the most reasonable and forseeable puchase price.
I have put a deposit on a 2016 Q5 3.0 TDI. Dealership put 6,500 miles on it but cannot sell it to a customer (me) yet. Claims that it is owned by Audi and not yet released for sale.
Here is my question:
Looking at Autotrader there are well over one hundred 2016 Q5 3.0L TDI's for sale. Most of them new, without any miles. How can those dealers (supposedly) sell them? When there is no 2016 3.0 TDI fix yet...

tenacious84

TDI
'13 Passat SEL
They can't, try actually calling one and they'll say it's not available

Dr Chill

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 A8L TDI
I would imagine they will be inline with what was done in the US. $5k off a financed car and $8500 off a leased car. From full MSRP on the cars of course. Availability is dropping for these cars as well, so get them while you can.
Discounts will be greater on the 3.0 cars but percentage-wise similar to that discount I suspect. People who buy 60-90k cars don't care as much about gas mileage and would never buy one of these for less than $20-30000 off.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

tdi_sport

Veteran Member
TDI
You are right. I called a dealer in Seattle. They can't sell them (the Q5 3.0 TDI)!
Funny. 3 hours north in Richmond every diesel audi was marketed and sold ($1000 deposit only pending the decision on the fix). I wanted a fully equipped q7. But they were long gone when i walked in the door.

tdi_sport

Veteran Member
TDI
4  Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) consumption - DEF (also known as AdBlue®) consumption for your vehicle may change. Model Year 2015 vehicles may experience an increase of 40% on average, while Model Year 2016 vehicles may on average experience a decrease. The exact amount of the change will vary depending on driving style and other factors. This means some drivers will need to refill the DEF tank more frequently

The 2016 may experience a decrease of def fluid use by how much? It doesnt read well.

40% less def consumption on average? Or an increase of def usage by less than 40%?

What is the difference between the 2015 and 2016 model years?

tenacious84

TDI
'13 Passat SEL
Funny. 3 hours north in Richmond every diesel audi was marketed and sold ($1000 deposit only pending the decision on the fix). I wanted a fully equipped q7. But they were long gone when i walked in the door.
Saying they are sold is significantly misleading. There is a big difference between sitting on the lot with a "sold" sticker and actually driving off the lot.

I have no idea if they are available yet for delivery or not.

tdi_sport

Veteran Member
TDI
Saying they are sold is significantly misleading. There is a big difference between sitting on the lot with a "sold" sticker and actually driving off the lot.
I have no idea if they are available yet for delivery or not.
Not available. Not sold either. You do have a point. But the dealership tells me all their 2016 tdi’s have deposits on them.

I do have to admit all the other dealerships in my city did not go that route. Richmond Audi did.

Tiareg

TDI
2016???
I have a deposit on a 2016 Black on Black Touareg Lux here in the Northern Virginia area. Dealer has no clue as to when they will be released for sale....

Price wise, I have no idea how they will price this car, and I'm only likely to pull the trigger if I can get a great deal....though demand is high, which may not work in my favor. I called a few dealers and most have 2-3 deposits on each car they have on the lot...thats right, multiple deposits on a car so its a wait list.

2017 Touareg Wolfsburg Edition are going for just about $10K off MSRP in my area, so in the mid $40K's....which from a features and specs perspective its pretty close to the Lux trim if I read the specs right. So I would guess that at a minimum, they would offer same discount on TDI Lux ($10K off 2016 $60K MRSP sticker), but that does not take into account thats its a year older car (2016 vs 2017)...at $50K, I'm not sure I'm a buyer.....

fastalan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
The government probably won't let VW/Audi start selling the buy back portion or any 2016 models (if any), until a very big percentage of on road TDIs are either bought back or emission fixed. We are probably looking beyond late 2018 to early 2019. Really, by that time, more EV, more plug-in models, perhaps even improved ICE cars with 48V system would be available making TDI a less competitive product.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
The government probably won't let VW/Audi start selling the buy back portion or any 2016 models (if any), until a very big percentage of on road TDIs are either bought back or emission fixed. We are probably looking beyond late 2018 to early 2019. Really, by that time, more EV, more plug-in models, perhaps even improved ICE cars with 48V system would be available making TDI a less competitive product.
Is this speculation or have you seen this in writing?

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Golf SEL Sportwagen, 2005 Jetta TDI, John Deere 355D
I was told today that my dealer had the go ahead to sales prep their new 15 and 16 tdi touaregs. I'm told there is dealer cash of 15% off msrp for a 16, 20% off msrp for a 15, and 25% off msrp for a 14 (yes, there are zero mile 14s out there).

Last edited:

Tiareg

TDI
2016???
I was contacted by my sales rep as well today....he thought we would be able to test drive the car towards the end of the week.

I'm really struggling with the pricing.....15% off pricing as suggested by Locoelectrician in the post above is accurate, that is crazy IMHO. New 2017's are going for close to 20% off here in DC Metro area.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I think they'll sell the vehicles. People said the same thing about the leftover '15 2.0L TDIs, and they nearly all have sold. Bought back cars were initially more expensive than the new leftovers, although it appears now that prices are dropping. If you want a new Touareg, you're probably going to be willing to pay for it, VW thinks. And I bet they're right. I don't think there are many out there that don't already have deposits on them.

Tiareg

TDI
2016???
Re: deposits I think you're right. One dealer close to me claims to have 3 deposits for each car they have on the lot. I also think there are probably more than just a few speculators out there who put down a deposit hoping for a good deal......

The questions is, if a 2016 TDI Lux is going for the same price as a 2017 Executive (non diesel), which do you choose??? From a Blue Book value (as in if something happens to the car the day after you purchase it) I gotta think the '17 has more value, the '16 already is a 2 year old car from an insurance perspective....

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
I think they'll sell the vehicles. People said the same thing about the leftover '15 2.0L TDIs, and they nearly all have sold. Bought back cars were initially more expensive than the new leftovers, although it appears now that prices are dropping. If you want a new Touareg, you're probably going to be willing to pay for it, VW thinks. And I bet they're right. I don't think there are many out there that don't already have deposits on them.
The deposits were all placed before pricing was announced.

Are people really looking to spend $55K to buy a 2016 Touareg that could have been built in August or September of 2015 and been sitting idle since?

If this is the case, the speculators should have no problem moving low mileage 13-16 MY Touaregs.

tdi_sport

Veteran Member
TDI
The deposits were all placed before pricing was announced.
Are people really looking to spend $55K to buy a 2016 Touareg that could have been built in August or September of 2015 and been sitting idle since?
If this is the case, the speculators should have no problem moving low mileage 13-16 MY Touaregs.
I feel that the warrenty as well as the discount (near 30% around my parts) thats being discussed should make it a nice buy.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Tough thing is 'Regs never flew off the lots in the first place.

At 30% off a 55k ride compared to an Alltrack or Tig, you're at spitting distance between the two.

saggii

Veteran Member
TDI
No longer - Jetta(s), A6
I don't think anyone is offering a 30% discount right of the bat. Even if they do, I'm not interested in updated 2016 Q7 at $50k ( $70k MSRP give or take) price point.
At $40k OTD - sure, I'm in.
I don't see any 2016 Q7 TDI inventory though, probably very limited inventory.

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
I don't think anyone is offering a 30% discount right of the bat. Even if they do, I'm not interested in updated 2016 Q7 at $50k ( $70k MSRP give or take) price point.
At $40k OTD - sure, I'm in.
I don't see any 2016 Q7 TDI inventory though, probably very limited inventory.[/QUOT

No Q7 TDI for model year 2016. The newest was 2015.

911c4fan

TDI
2014 A6, 2016 A7, 2014A8L, 2014Q5, 2016Q5, 2013 Q7, 2014Q7, 2014Q7, 2013Q7, 2015 Q5, 2016 Q5 Prestige S line
I heard same about approval from Audi, but no numbers in the letter. Thus far, its just low financing options.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
I feel that the warrenty as well as the discount (near 30% around my parts) thats being discussed should make it a nice buy.
Show me a 30% offer please.

Tough thing is 'Regs never flew off the lots in the first place.

At 30% off a 55k ride compared to an Alltrack or Tig, you're at spitting distance between the two.
Bam, how many Tregs did VW sell a year?

I heard same about approval from Audi, but no numbers in the letter. Thus far, its just low financing options.
Which brings up the question about financing a three MY old car. Only Audi or VW I assume.

Jengel451

TDI
potential
Just got the call as well. Funny thing is, they want me to come in today or tomorrow to talk about numbers. Without knowing what VW is going to offer?

Based on that, it tells me they want these things off the lot ASAP. Not a bad position to be in as a buyer.

EDIT, I know on the 4 cyl cars, they only offered a 2 year lease, but with an $8500 cash incentive. I'd be willing to guess the incentive would be more than that on a vehicle worth twice as much. We will find out though.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Bam, how many Tregs did VW sell a year?

Let me take my shoes off and I'll be able to count them all. USA won't buy premium euro VWs, they want cheap econo VW offering, it only took VWoA 10 years to kinda figure that out after the epic fail of the phaeton in the US.

Now they should offer their stripper caddy to compete with all the small runabout panel vans people have started moving towards. They have zero to offer the trades.