2010 JSW Report After "Fix" - No Power Loss

shwagon

TDI
2010 JSW TDI
2010 JSW Report After "Fix" - No Power or MPG Loss

Picked up my "Fixed" 10' JSW TDi DSG from the dealer yesterday and wanted to report the differences I'm seeing so far:

• Repair Time: Dropped it off in the Morning, picked it up in the afternoon.
  • No Power Loss - Car will still spin the tires coming off a Stoplight. No other performance decrease detected throughout the power band.
  • No significant MPG loss, yet... - Saw low 40's last night with a quick run to town. My control group is my daily 136 mile highway commute. I was running late today so my control of 42-45 average mpg was ruined by a 10-15 mph increase from my standard highway speeds. I was still able to achieve 38-39 mpg which is normal when compared to other trips at these speeds.
  • Transmission Shift Points (DSG): As stated, I do 136 miles per day. One section of this is a four-lane through rolling hills. I can typically make it up these hills without the car shifting into 5th. This morning i noticed that the car regularly shifted into 5th (and sometimes 4th) on these hills. I'm hoping this is just the adaptations not quite set to my driving yet...
  • Odd things - When I picked up the car from the dealer, it seemed to run in a ReGen mode (raised idle, coolant fan on high) the entire way home (30min drive); this went away after next start up later that evening.

I will report anything else that comes up and will try to post my RO from the dealer to show what was performed on my car.

Quick question - I opted for the check payout from VW (I was changing banks at the time of the claim), does anyone have an estimated wait time before I should start looking for it in the mail (my claim already shows closed on the VW Claims Portal)?

Let me know if you have any questions!

Last edited:

BarnyardsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf w/DSG, Malone Stage 2 (all emissions intact), HID's, Sunroof, Dynaudio, NAV
Hi shwagon,

How is your battery health? Mine died the day after I got my car back from the dealer? All other things you mention are consistent with my experience thus far.

Unfortunately I cant offer any estimate on the check route. I did the electronic fund transfer. Submitted on 8/23/2017 and had the money pending deposit this morning.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
shwagon, please provide an update as you get a few of your 136 mile daily commutes under your belt (regarding performance/mileage effects). Also advise if the rolling hills/shifts on the DSG are gradually changing back to what you were previously used to, or if the downshifts have become a new norm for your commute.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Hi shwagon,

How is your battery health? Mine died the day after I got my car back from the dealer? All other things you mention are consistent with my experience thus far.

Unfortunately I cant offer any estimate on the check route. I did the electronic fund transfer. Submitted on 8/23/2017 and had the money pending deposit this morning.
Battery probably got drained because they left the driver's door open the whole time they were working on it.

shwagon

TDI
2010 JSW TDI
600+ miles on the clock and MPG's are pretty much normal (combined 41.2 calculated from fill up). The strange ReGen (extended) did not come back and the performance is still the same (strong).

FedEx had the check to my door within three business days (signature required if anyone is wondering).

Hi shwagon,

Battery health is fine. If its any consolation, my original battery died a couple months ago so its possible their service life is 6-7 years.

shwagon, please provide an update as you get a few of your 136 mile daily commutes under your belt (regarding performance/mileage effects). Also advise if the rolling hills/shifts on the DSG are gradually changing back to what you were previously used to, or if the downshifts have become a new norm for your commute.
Transmission shifting "issue" did not go away or improve. It is now annoying as 20+ miles of my commute are these "rolling hills". My temporary fix (I may contact Malone to see if their trans tune will fix this) is selecting and keeping it in 6th gear in the "manual" mode for this part of the drive. The car does not seem to strain when kept in 6th so I don't know why the ECU thinks its necessary to drop it into 4th when climbing a hill...

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
maybe it shifting into a lower (higher numerically) gear may improve mpg's..( getting into the better power bandwidth)at least it would with a gasser! no bogging down

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
It might downshift more often to keep the emissions crap happier.

piper109

Veteran Member
I would be interested to know the dealer that did the work. I'm looking at having my 2012 jsw fixed but I live in the mountains about 2 hours drive from several vw dealers including Greensboro. In 5 years I have never been to a dealer since my last warranty oil change.
Too far away so I do my own oil changes etc. Thanks.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Wouldn't Hickory be closer?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I get all my work down at VW South in Charlotte. It's about 10 miles from the house and they always offer a shuttle back to work.

I've read some negative comments on Flow in Greensboro but nothing that I can remember about Hickory.

D-Cup

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition, 2003 Jetta GLS, 2000 Jetta GLS, 2012 JSW
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but hoping someone could give some insight.
I submitted all my paperwork etc for my claim, and now the VW settlement site is telling me that there is not yet a fix for my car (2010 Jetta tdi manual), yet I keep reading about others getting their 2010 TDIs fixed.
Is there no fix for 2010 manuals? Just DSGs?

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but hoping someone could give some insight.
I submitted all my paperwork etc for my claim, and now the VW settlement site is telling me that there is not yet a fix for my car (2010 Jetta tdi manual), yet I keep reading about others getting their 2010 TDIs fixed.
Is there no fix for 2010 manuals? Just DSGs?
should be no problem...others with a manual have done it...there has been a fix for your car for a couple of months now..wow...don't know??

Last edited:

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
.. had a appointment to fix my 2011 jetta manual ..I rescheduled for another time...holding off for a while

Last edited:

D-Cup

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition, 2003 Jetta GLS, 2000 Jetta GLS, 2012 JSW
Thanks. I'll call the number and ask ***.
Ok, back on topic...
Glad to hear folks are getting similar mpg on their regular commutes.
A long haul like that daily really helps the rest of us get a better idea of what to expect in terms of real-world mpg.
When I unplugged my intake flap motor/sensor I took a hit at 36mpg on the first tank. Next tank I adjusted my shift points (ex. doing 45 in 4th rather than 5th) and it popped up to 44mpg.
Perhaps I may have to "re-learn" where the engine is most happy after the fix.

Eliminator SS

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen
You are having much better luck than I have had. My transmission slams into first when downshifting and my mpgs, which were already bad in comparison to what you guys get, dropped another 6mpg from 36-37mpg to 30-31mpg. I have taken the car back for the transmission shifting issue and all I got out of this recheck is a $400 bop for a faulty recirculation motor.