Imported TDI's and 'dieselgate'

jtowndub

Re-importing costs $0.

If you import a US car to Canada and then return that car back to the US, you don't have to pay any duty whatsoever, as long as the original NHTSA/DOT and EPA labels are still affixed. You just drive the car across the border and re-register it in your state using the HS-7 form (check box 2A).

My second car is an Audi RS4 that was originally sold in the US, imported to Canada, and then I bought it in Saskatchewan and re-imported it to the US last year. No cost and very straightforward.
Fourplay, I'm in the same situation as you were with your RS4, but with my TDI. Original US vehicle, imported to Canada, I purchased and am now considering re-importing to the US. Can we walk me through the exact process you had to follow to import? No stop at CBP with import paperwork? Just head to your local DMV and fill out HS-7?

For others, has anyone been successful in re-importing a US TDI back into the country and then achieving buyback?

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
For others, has anyone been successful in re-importing a US TDI back into the country and then achieving buyback?
Believe your car needed to be registered in the US between the date the scandal broke and the date the pre-approved settlement was announced (September 18 2015 and June 28 2016) in order to qualify.

Vlad

TDI
Jetta
Anyone have any updates regarding TDIs bought in the US and imported to Canada. Like some other unfortunate expats, I am stuck in a limbo state and trying to get any answer is impossible. Usually end up talking to a "Supervisor Donna" from South Carolina who will look into it and get back to me. So far, nothing ...

tdigirl_ontario

TDI
Jetta Sportwagen 2010
Just a quick update....I completed a successful buyback this afternoon on Canadian-registered US-bought VW. It was pretty straightforward to reimport car to US and seems like I had a pretty similar experience to most people on the forum reporting a quick buyback appt.

Not sure how it would work if you never registered car in US before importing it to Canada or how you would reimport car to US if you don't have a permanent US address. The officer at border was super helpful and had performed his own buyback a few weeks prior so he knew about what I was trying to do, etc. I think that definitely helped me get things quick processed.

I know there aren't that many in Canada with this type of situation, but if there are, upload everything to website (old US title/registration, current title, etc). For me it worked out and my car was not registered in the US during the dates the scandal broke out/settlement. When I called about this, way back when they first opened the portal online, the claims help line assured me it was fine and just to upload everything.

Last edited:

cooke6

TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan
Well that's good news, and good that you got your deserved restitution.

However, this "zero cost" re-import/registration is utter bull**** for someone like myself, who lives on the east coast of NL. I would have to invest considerable time and money to make the multi-day trek to take the thing across the island, make a ferry crossing to NS, then proceed through to the ME/NB border. Who pays for all that, including possible time off work and the flight back home? Me? I think not.

norcorider

TDI
2013 Passat TDI (Buyback completed Dec 21st)
Just a quick update....I completed a successful buyback this afternoon on Canadian-registered US-bought VW. It was pretty straightforward to reimport car to US and seems like I had a pretty similar experience to most people on the forum reporting a quick buyback appt.

Not sure how it would work if you never registered car in US before importing it to Canada or how you would reimport car to US if you don't have a permanent US address. The officer at border was super helpful and had performed his own buyback a few weeks prior so he knew about what I was trying to do, etc. I think that definitely helped me get things quick processed.

I know there aren't that many in Canada with this type of situation, but if there are, upload everything to website (old US title/registration, current title, etc). For me it worked out and my car was not registered in the US during the dates the scandal broke out/settlement. When I called about this, way back when they first opened the portal online, the claims help line assured me it was fine and just to upload everything.
Thank you for the update. It's an interesting development. Did you have to register your vehicle in a US state before buyback appointment?
Can anyone who imported it from US to Canada , reimport back to US?

turbowhistle

TDI
2011 JSW Pano White Corn Silk Beige 6MT
Last edited:

cooke6

TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan
I’m glad you asked. We are in the process of resolving this issue with VW so that such owners no longer fall between the cracks of the U.S. and Canadian settlements. Please contact us at info@vwclasscounsel.com or (800) 948-2181 with your status beginning next week and we can give you more specific information.
http://jalopnik.com/ask-the-lead-dieselgate-plaintiffs-lawyer-anything-abou-1793506282
Interesting, thanks for providing this.
I contacted the canadian law firm others had mentioned the other day and they got back to me and took my info, confirming they were dealing with it. I also asked whether they were involved in discussions with VWoA and was told no. Seems to me they need to sort out who is responsible and treat everyone the same - having some go through US and some through Canada and getting very different settlement amounts is less than ideal.

Reactorface

TDI
2015 Audi Q5 Technik
potential good news from Quebec hearing

this was copied from the Dieselgate, The Canadian Edition thread

So this summary from someone on the Facebook group of what happened in court in Quebec just came in (its a long post): take from it what you will.

Quebec (Montreal) Court Observations:
- Court location was moved three times, court security was tight, full body scan
- Began at 10 a.m., instead of its usual 9:30. Court was carried out in French, translators and interpreters were not made available by the court. Judge didn't seem to care if you couldn't understand French initially.
- Plaintiff counsel began, class member plaintiff wasn't there, Sabrina Lombardi was present in court.
- Plaintiff counsel spoke for nearly 2 1/2 hours, first break mid-way through
- Plaintiff counsel revealed the night previous, he received a 'miraculous' email that somehow after all this time since the US settlement, that the US VINs registered in Canada between September 2015 and April 2017 would be considered as part of this settlement. Probably seeing as there were numerous objections filed that called into questions VIN ownership from the US or Canadian vehicles in the US.
- Plaintiff counsel rejected Bosch settlement that happened in the US
- Plaintiff counsel indicated Very Clean, Clean, Average, Rough and Very Rough categories to explain the CBB valuations. The judge was confused, required clarification, as that was based on US methodology, everyone here knows they have Wholesale - Low, Wholesale High, Retail and MSRP.
- Valuations expert wasn't present in court
- Basically the Plaintiff counsel tried to fight every objection to have this settlement approved on behalf of the defence counsel. There were numerous other objections, all paper based, that they submitted, but did nothing to fight on behalf of the absent class members. He even introduced case law on behalf of breast implant class members who previously were awarded monies, the fact that they got something for their troubles, was better than nothing type of argument (weak).
- Broke for lunch at 12:30, for an hour and a half, because defence counsel couldn't have presented their case in the allotted time.
- Resumed at 2:00, defence counsel spoke for 13 minutes, because his job was already done for him by the Plaintiff's counsel, to argue in favor of approving the settlement. The Toronto lawyer next week was seated with the defence counsel, although she didn't speak in front of the judge. She did complain that lunch was an hour and a half, because in Toronto, it's different. The Plaintiff's counsel corrected her, when they indicated that Montreal normally starts at 9:30, where Toronto usually starts at 10:00 for class motions.
- First objections were heard, Filipe Brault (sp) is the one primarily responsible for getting all the US VINs entered into record, good on him, I asked if he was apart of this facebook group, he is not. Good guy though. He was interviewed by the Montreal Journal reporter outside during the break.
- A few more objections were read, Plaintiff counsel had the opportunity to respond, then defence counsel. Again in collusion of one another.
- So the CBB faulty vehicle estimator was never apart of the initial agreement, it was done simply as convenience for the class members.
- The FAQs released 9 days prior to the objection/opt out deadline was more than sufficient time, and the original long notice was the only FAQs that we were entitled to.
- The difference between Western and Eastern Canada varies because of the salt that is used more in the East, as compared to beautiful BC and Alberta where they don't use salt and harsh conditions. Although Plaintiff's counsel did not respond to NWT and Nunavut being apart of the equation/valuation.
- 2015 owners should not fear in having their vehicles recalled up until April 28 because even if they have the first stage of the fix, they would be eligible for the buyback (I'd be more than happy for a 2015 owner to clarify this statement made by counsel, as to their own interpretation)
- Counsel then conferred, another break, they got together again, worked out the terms of the new verbiage that is now apart of the revised settlement to include all those Canadian members who had their US vehicle registered in their Canadian province between September 2015 and I believe June 2017.
- Plaintiff's counsel thanked everyone who appeared, submitted their objection and gave a nice speech of how they appeared on behalf of the class, fighting for the class and the best interest of all the class to receive some wholesale monetary award, that compiled with the damages payment, is 100% above and beyond the retail value of every vehicle as of September 2015.

***Update**** If you have an objection, try to appear in person, or at least have someone designated appointed on your behalf to argue on March 31st in front of the Toronto Judge. It goes a lot further, clearly the Plaintiff's counsel will not argue on your behalf, they actually tried to dispel all of the objections, even indicating that the low number of objections does not constitute this being rejected at all. They were then handed to the Judge, they were not read in court, she then left court at 4:30. No settlement was reached as indicated, and there is an update that Defence Counsel must provide to her within a week's time.

Reactorface

TDI
2015 Audi Q5 Technik
some good news for some of us

this snippet was copied from the Dieselgate, The Canadian Edition thread

So this summary from someone on the Facebook group of what happened in court in Ontario just came in (its a long post): take from it what you will.

- USA Excluded – Revised Certification Record – Defence Counsel indicate that Canadian VIN Registration that are now in the USA will be included under the terms and conditions of the Canadian Settlement, USA VIN Registration that are now in Canada will be included under the terms and conditions of the USA Settlement (All of this is still subject to approval in the South), it couldn’t be widely shared until the next few weeks according to counsel.

turbowhistle

TDI
Response from Plaintiff's Class Counsel

Currently there is no settlement agreement that covers your situation, but we expect there to be a resolution to this issue shortly. Thank you for providing your contact information and VIN, you will receive notice once a settlement agreement has been reached.

Regards,
Alex
VW “Clean Diesel” MDL No. 2672 | Plaintiffs Steering Committee
info@vwclasscounsel.com

PutItInH

TDI
2010 JSW (US Spec) MT
this snippet was copied from the Dieselgate, The Canadian Edition thread
So this summary from someone on the Facebook group of what happened in court in Ontario just came in (its a long post): take from it what you will.

- USA Excluded – Revised Certification Record – Defence Counsel indicate that Canadian VIN Registration that are now in the USA will be included under the terms and conditions of the Canadian Settlement, USA VIN Registration that are now in Canada will be included under the terms and conditions of the USA Settlement (All of this is still subject to approval in the South), it couldn’t be widely shared until the next few weeks according to counsel.
It looks like it has gone live....call the US Settlement hotline at 18449825246, choose option "8". Apparently a 'special team' has been created to handle our claims.

Reactorface

TDI
2015 Audi Q5 Technik
don't get too trigger happy

It looks like it has gone live....call the US Settlement hotline at 18449825246, choose option "8". Apparently a 'special team' has been created to handle our claims.
just got off the phone, after being put on hold and dropped twice by two different members of the aforementioned "special team" neither one had a clue what i was talking about. one took my vin # and said they would contact me when they knew more, when i asked how they were going to contact me they replied "i don't know....". what a gong show!!! :confused::confused:

Airbus320

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
I'm in the same boat U.S. Purchased in 2012 and registered here since Oct 2012. I live close to the buffalo boarder and will try giving VWofUSA a shout again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tq5006

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
Update

Called 1-800 and chose option 8. They asked me permission to delete my current file and to re-register. My current file as marked ineligible. With the latest news looks like it may be turning for the better.

Re-registered, now will wait and see.

If you have not already, call the 1-800 and chose option 8.

norcorider

TDI
Good news! We are now eligible for settlement in US. Check out FAQ section on vwcourtsettlement.com
It does say we need to visit us dealership to settle our claim.

"Volkswagen has expanded the scope of the Settlement Program to include vehicles that were purchased in the U.S. but were ineligible to participate in the Settlement because the vehicles were registered in Canada rather than the United States between September 18, 2015 and June 28, 2016.
To participate in the Settlement Program, you may submit a claim to Volkswagen by registering in the Online Claims Portal or mailing or faxing a Paper Claims Form. As part of the claims process, you will be required to submit certain documents in order for Volkswagen to determine whether you are eligible to participate in the Settlement Program.
If you are deemed eligible to participate in the Settlement Program, you may choose between having Volkswagen buy back your vehicle or receiving an emissions modification on your vehicle with an extended emissions warranty. Regardless of the remedy that you choose, you will need to visit a Volkswagen or Audi Dealer in the U.S. to complete your remedy
"

cooke6

TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan
Well how bitter sweet...2,000km drive including a ferry and plane ticket to get back home. How do they figure that this is a reasonable solution??

turbowhistle

TDI
Back in business

I called 1-844-982-5246 Option 8 as well (just press 8 do not press 1 for the 2.0 settlement). They took my original claim number and verified my information. It has been escalated with an expected response time of 3 to 7 business days.

turbowhistle

TDI
If it's any consolation the US settlements (when factoring in the current exchange rate) seem to be 30 to 40% better than the Canadian settlements.

cooke6

TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan
Yes I'm well aware of all that.

I just phoned and was told that the requirement for returning to a US dealer is not actually finalized, despite what the FAQ says. They are still working on that end of things.

Also not sure why yours was "escalated" with an associated response time. I got my claim looked over and was told to proceed with uploading my documents which would then go into review with a ~2-3 week turnaround for them to send a finalized offer.

norcorider

TDI
I just called and was told that someone will contact me back in few weeks for the next steps.

cooke6

TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan
I put my original US registered address down. You could also try the dealership address or the border crossing address, I got the impression from the person I was speaking to that it didn't matter much. Best thing might be to call and ask.

turbowhistle

TDI
I entered my full Canadian address and then chose a US state to finish the form. I did the same for the goodwill package application. All the physical mail showed up at my door.

norcorider

TDI
Folks , vwoa online claims portal site is updated. Now we can enter Canadian addresses for both vehicle registration and mailing address.

Airbus320

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Folks , vwoa online claims portal site is updated. Now we can enter Canadian addresses for both vehicle registration and mailing address.

For those that submitted a claim before they changed the format to allow a Canadian address you can also edit it but only the mailing Address not the registration address for whatever reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andrewface

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
My Jetta was originally purchased in the USA and then imported to Canada sometime before I purchased it used in Sept 2014. It has been registered in my name in Canada ever since. Just so I understand correctly - does this mean I should file a claim on the US site?

Thanks.

Reactorface

TDI
2015 Audi Q5 Technik
My Jetta was originally purchased in the USA and then imported to Canada sometime before I purchased it used in Sept 2014. It has been registered in my name in Canada ever since. Just so I understand correctly - does this mean I should file a claim on the US site?

Thanks.
Yes, that is correct.

norcorider

TDI
FYI, do not enter vehicle registration address as Canadian address. Keep it as US and mailing address as Canadian. The portal craps out if both addresses are Canadian.
I was told to do so after multiple calls to customer care. I am able to proceed now.