Backup Camera

blakeb

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
I have a 2003 jetta tdi 5 speed and my next project I was thinking about tackling was installing a backup camera and I was just wondering if anyone has done this to their mk4 and have any pointers.

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
FOR SALE, 2002 Jetta GLS, 5 speed
i have one. also have a rear and front dvr camera.
my suggestions:
forget the rear view mirror screen units. glare makes it hard to see. use hard wire.
don't get the wireless transmitter. bad video(static).
get a stand alone screen. i have a 3" mounted on the steering column.
wired mine to the wire on the back up light in the trunk. pass it through the back seat, hide wires in the door sill. power for the screen in connected to a switched fuse.

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
FOR SALE, 2002 Jetta GLS, 5 speed
that would work. thought about one of those myself.
only wires are power, vid out and trigger. monitor just needs vid in from camera besides power.

lapse

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI, 2003 Golf TDI
I have an AudioSources in my 2003 Jetta. The RVC has been sitting unwired since the fall.. I'll be putting it in when it warms up a bit more. I dry-fitted a bunch of wiring, so hopefully I remember what it all does!

lapse

Veteran Member
TDI
I directly emailed them and ordered it. $400 US flat delivered to Canada.

It took a couple of months to get some firmware bugs sorted out. It should also be noted that my iPhone 5 doesn't play music very well over Bluetooth with it. A2DP voice calls work fine however. I hardwired an old iPod Classic for my tunes instead.

lapse

Veteran Member
TDI
There is a loom of cables that you run to your glovebox or wherever and one of them is USB. I don't use it so I'm not sure if it's full powered, or if it mounts mass storage devices. You'll need to email and ask.

AntonLargiader

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Jetta, '03 Jetta wagon
Bumping an older thread; I'm considering installing the Alpine iLX-007 with backup camera in my wagon. Has anyone run the camera wires out of a wagon tailgate?

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Seems like a good idea to bump a thread every couple of years:D

Planning on installing a backup camera in my Golf. It's the kind that has a mount that attaches to the license plate.

Is there a viable path for routing the wires from the trunk area out to (outside of) the bumper?

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I already have a camera (and am waiting on the HU). I'm just wanting to know how one routes wires to reach the license plate/outer bumper.

VE1.9

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLX 5spd
I already have a camera (and am waiting on the HU). I'm just wanting to know how one routes wires to reach the license plate/outer bumper.
I installed one on my R32 last year. The wiring exits the car through a grommet at the driver side near the rear sunroof drain exit. It is also clipped into the bumper cover. You will have to remove the carpet piece on that side of the trunk and then you will see where the wiring goes out. I took a few pics, I can post those later today.

VE1.9

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLX 5spd
Here you can see exactly where the wiring exits the car. I ran my wires through the grommet, along with the existing wiring for a clean installation.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
AWESOME! Thank you!

Does one need to pull the bumper, or was the bumper pulled for some other reason?

VE1.9

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLX 5spd
I had to remove the bumper to get access to the wiring. Otherwise the rebar gets in the way. It's not too difficult to remove the Golf bumper anyway.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So, for a power source one just taps off the backup light circuit at the rear?

Also, curious, does anyone have their backup camera switched so that they can turn it on whenever, not only while just in reverse? Just trying to think of how I might want to use this; would prefer to do this just once. Maybe run an extra wire that I could later, if I felt like I wanted to, hook up to a switch (have one blank in the dash, perhaps get another rear window switch?).

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
My audio head unit can be told to display the backup camera irrespective of the "trigger" being on (reverse), but I've found it to not really be useful.....

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
If you take power from the backup lights it will not work on demand other then in reverse.
My Kenwood has a power feed to the camera so I believe it will work from the touch panel as Genesis indicated.
Will use the camera in the Tiguan when I'm ready to swap it over.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Currently running video cable and an extra wire to the rear. All are at the driver's rear in the trunk waiting on me to pull the bumper. In the meantime...

As previously noted, I'm wanting to have a switch on the dash that would allow me to toggle on the rear camera whenever I like, have it display on the HU. In essence the switch would act just as though I've shifted into reverse (standard HU install w/reverse camera).

Parts I'd need:
- SPDT relay switch (5 pin Bosch style)
- On/Off SPST (push button switch- like a standard dash Hazard light switch)
- Couple of diodes (3 amp ea?)

Input/triggers to the SPDT (pin 86) would be:
1) Reverse wire (need to figure out where to tap);
2) On/Of switch (12v from switched ignition).

The SPDT input trigger wires, reverse wire and On/Off switch, would contain diodes on their ends before tying on to pin 86. This to keep from backfeeding each input.

SPDT is powered from terminal 75x (under dash), switched ignition power.

SPDT output goes to HU trigger wire AND the extra wire I ran back to the camera (which is camera power; camera is grounded at rear of vehicle).

Does this sound like it would do the job?

Blacktree

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta 5-spd
I'm not sure why you're using a SPDT relay in that configuration? A SPST relay with the two inputs connected to the coil (using diodes for back-feed protection) should to the trick.

Another way to do it would be to use just a SPDT relay (no diodes necessary). Connect the reverse wire to the NC pin (87a), and the power feed from the 75X terminal to the NO pin (87). The common pin (30) goes out to the camera. And your manual switch goes to the coil (86 or 85). With this setup, power from the reverse light circuit will go directly to the camera when the switch is off. Turning the switch on interrupts the reverse light input and powers the camera from the 75X terminal instead.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
OK, and then from the output side of the diodes I could also add on the power wire back to the camera?

Where can I pick up the reverse wire at the dash area? (and while on the hunt for available wires at the dash, anyone know where I can pick up a parking brake wire?)