Conundrum: Clutch

ratkc135

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI, 2015 Passat
I'm looking for some advice.

Another thread I told the issue of a clutch issue. The pedal stayed on the floor. Later (once I got to driveway) I was able to pull it back up with hand...and actuated it 20 times with no issues.

2002 Jetta with 168K.

I drove to shop today with no issues. The shop thinks perhaps it was air in the system as they find no issues/leaks at slave or master cylinder or the hydraulic line. So the shop took the liberty without asking me (as I was contemplating just replacing the whole system (cylinders and line) while they were in there) to not have to pay diagnostic labor and get nothing out of it.

So a while ago...they tell me they did a diagnostic and basically flushed and bled the system.

Do any of you have experience/knowledge on typical life of the master and slave cylinders? Should I just replace them now or roll the dice and drive to failure? No idea if these parts should last another 100K or if they have already exceeded their normal life span.

So since the shop messed up...I can basically get the car no charge and get the flush/bleed for free. Or I can have them dig into and replace any combination of the master, slave or line between them.

Last edited:

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Those bits generally last a long time, but like anything they can go bad.
If the car performs properly, I'd just drive away.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
Prior to having problems, how often did you replace the hydraulic fluid in the clutch and brake system?

It's supposed to be changed every two years, and if you do so, the parts should last a long time.

ratkc135

Veteran Member
TDI
I just bought the car 3 months ago...so unfortunately I have no clue how often (if at all) the clutch (or brakes for that matter) hydraulic fluid was changed.

I've already done the brakes (new rotors/pads) and flushed that fluid.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
the pivot ball could have punched through the clutch fork, this would explain the initial "stuck on the floor" symptom followed by seemingly normal operation because the hydraulics are self adjusting... if so, the pressure plate rivets will start to nibble at the clutch arm... you can check for little flecks of metal sticking to the bottom of the inspection plug to confirm this

ratkc135

Veteran Member
TDI
the pivot ball could have punched through the clutch fork, this would explain the initial "stuck on the floor" symptom followed by seemingly normal operation because the hydraulics are self adjusting... if so, the pressure plate rivets will start to nibble at the clutch arm... you can check for little flecks of metal sticking to the bottom of the inspection plug to confirm this
To make sure I understand this: I assume you mean when you would drain the transmission fluid; that drain plug is magnetic and it there was something going on in there that bits of metal would be on there?

I had the local VW dealer do some other work; and while it was on the lift (after I just bought the car); about 700 miles ago; I had them put in my amsoil trans fluid...I would think they would have saw/noticed metal particles on the plug...but I'll ask them.

I guess they could look again (as car is with them currently)...they could (I would think) drain new fluid into clean container (so as to not waste perfectly good fluid) to check drain plug...and then if nothing is seen put that same fluid back in....

ratkc135

Veteran Member
TDI
after the help of google....I've come to conclusion that is NOT what you meant...lol. Apparently there is an inspection "hole" with a plug in it...to inspect pressure plate, etc.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
after the help of google....I've come to conclusion that is NOT what you meant...lol. Apparently there is an inspection "hole" with a plug in it...to inspect pressure plate, etc.
That's what I thought he was saying.
It might not be a hole, but a small plate that comes off to see inside the clutch area.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
NOT the oil drain plug or a plate... it's the rubber plug on top of the trans that lets you see the flywheel timing mark, no tools required to remove
Ahh, I was thinking on the wrong side of the trans.
Isn't there a small plate on the bottom between the oil pan and the trans?
Never had reason to pull my trans out so I'm not sure.
If so check for shrapnel in there?

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
watching closely as i had this problem just this evening. will follow everything directed and see what the issue may be.

leaving a stop, car functioned as normal but i knew the pedal did not spring back.
i reached down, while in gear and moving forward, i pulled it away from its resting location and all was fine all the way home. afew stops and not an issue what so ever.
dont want to steal the thread, but for me i have a southbend stage two endurance clutch; so i assume it isnt clutch related, maybe hydraulic for me..... :(

ratkc135

Veteran Member
TDI
I replaced master and slave cylinders. Been fine since. Perhaps not necessary; but my wife was going to drive it following me from Seattle to Iowa...so I didn't want to chance it.