1991 EcoDiesel??

EndlessAdventure

TDI
2012 Jetta
Good Deal??? Thoughts? Is the price good? Seems like a good deal.
1991 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg Eccodiesel, 5 speed 4 cylinder Turbo 1.6 motor, cloth interior, manual windows, tinted glass, Montegi 15 inch wheels, air condition, manual moonroof, Thule roof rack with clamp style bicycle rail, euro tail lights, 196k miles, there were only 750 of this cars made in 1991 so they will be very collectible.
Car runs and drives great, it's been a garage queen for the last 2 years, has all original paint so it has mild rust on the rear fenders, trunk lid and other small spots around the car, I've taking it to car shows an VW club gatherings and always get complements on how nice and well cared the car is, I may consider trading for a 1500cc or bigger cruising motorcycle, I would prefer a Honda Goldwing or something similar, I have a free and clear title in hand, you can drive this car anywhere, very reliable and great mileage about 38-40 miles per gallon.
Here is some work that has been done to the car.
Brand new heater core
Brand new radiator, thermostat and recent Flushed.
Wheels and tires have about 7k miles on them.
Oil and filter changed in the last 2 months.
Most hoses on cooling system have been changed.
Nice stereo, subs and amp not yet plugged in but will go with the car.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
As much as this is a somewhat rare car the AVX transmission makes this model particularly bad for mpg.

I would have to see it in person, also there's no mention of price and what color this one is. Lots of work done but why is this person selling and for how much?

It's going to be a big change going from TDI to IDI diesel.

Steve

EDIT: I found the advert on CL, the car looks very nice, someone spent a lot of money on the exterior, and it is clean. The engine also looks unmolested although there is something weird going on with the upper radiator hose.

Depending on what it looks like underneath the car I'd say it's expensive for an ecodiesel despite only so few having been produced, then again the condition is pretty nice. I do wish that the stripes could be removed, maybe they're just decals?

Steve

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I bet it's green. Aren't all of them?

If it's not rusted (check rockers, around the doors, strut towers) it may have some value. But it's a slow, loud car that gets so-so FE if you drive it at modern speeds. And MKII interiors are the second crappiest in VW history, with MKIs being the worst. They just fall apart.

If you're willing to give it a shot and don't care about getting your money out of it then it may be fun. I still love the way they sound.

If it has A/C the compressor bracket is like gold. And usually broken.

I've arrived at the conclusion that a MKIV is the oldest VW you should own. Everything else drives like an old car, parts are hard to find, and they're showing their age, big time. But if you like it...

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3

Here's the car he's talking about. It's awfully nice looking exterior and what I said above too, but it will be very slow by modern standards as IBW said and the trans makes the engine work harder than it should because it's not really geared for FE.

That said I still like them even though they're slugs.

I might agree with IBW about the Mk4 if I could stand having one. The Mk4 just got so plump compared to the Mk3 and in all honesty the real big gains of electronic controls were achieved with the Mk3 (B4 too) so that's probably where I'll stay for now and maybe forever..lol.

Steve

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Wow, that looks to be in pretty good shape. Personally, I wouldn't want to meet the d-bag that thinks that eagle decal is cool.

Last edited:

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
03 jsw TDI, audi 90 AHU swap
I daily drove a mk2 ecodiesel for 100k miles 4 years ago. Not a bad car. My commute is about 30-60mph and I got great mpg with it. About 48. I drove it across the country with no issues. I think it got like 42 on the highway because of the high revs. I turned the pump up some, it wasnt a slow car, but not a speed demon either. It used a fair amount of oil, and smoked a fair amount. Mine always started, even on the coldest days.
I sort of agree with above poster about the mk4 being the oldest VW one should own for daily reasons. I switched to a beat up mk4 wagon, and that has been a way better car. The mk2 served me very well, and owed me NOTHING, but the mk4 is just a better car all around by a long shot. Mk2 is probably cooler, but I'm cool enough, that I dont need a cold car :D

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I put well over 400k miles on my 1991 Jetta, and nothing in the interior "fell apart" :rolleyes:. Never had a door panel off. The headliner outlasted my 2000 by about a decade, as did the HVAC case. The driver's seat foam is a bit spent, but the seat covers are still in good shape, as are the door panels, seat belts, window cranks, switches, vents.... heck even the sunroof still works perfect. Oh, and the paint was better too.

That said, I would not dare think of driving it daily any longer, and parts have gotten difficult to find. It is more of a cool old collector car now to me. This is not something I would consider as something I would have to depend on every day.

But the old girl did get my wife and me around all over the place for a long time. It never failed to start, never broke down, and was a super reliable car in its day. It finally broke a piston ring at around 437k miles, and sadly I have not yet got it all back together but hopefully soon. It will be my Sunday driver. :)

Last edited: