check yer hoses!

stayalert

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 golf black

Here's a photo of the vac. hose between my brake booster and vac pump.....notice the nice spilt. Subtle but evident source of vac. leak.....Rob M Concord, MA PS when troubleshooting be sure and reconnect the hose to the booster. The brakes are a tad different without the vac. booster end of the hose connected.....Also the nipple on that plastic piece is fragile so...lets be careful in there....Rob M

DeafBug

Gone but Never Forgotten: Requiescat In Pace
TDI
2001 NB
I see that way more than it should be. That is the first thing I check if someone complains about the brakes when I do a timing belt as you have to remove the vacuum pump.

Lots of people just tape it real good, others get a decent hose and replace it. If I remember correctly, the replacement part which is not just the hose is about $50.

G

gboss

i have an extra one of those vacuum pump hoses if someone needs it. I'll sell it cheaper than the impex price to get rid of it

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
The 2004's vaccum hose is not longer the rubber with cloth reinforcement. I don't know what the new stuff is, but it looks alot better than the old stuff.

L

G

gboss

i have an extra one of those vacuum pump hoses if someone needs it. I'll sell it cheaper than the impex price to get rid of it
By the way, the reason I have it is because I ordered it from Impex with a part number from here, not realizing that it was the wrong part number.

stayalert

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 golf black
Criminy.....I looked at the other end of my hose (a tthe vac booster end....Really split....BUT, I came up with a cheap ($1.99 US) repair that seems to have worked....3/4" heat shrink tubing....

stayalert

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 golf black
I had to repair both ends of the hose and used 1/2 of the $1.99 worth of heat shrink tubing....Here's what one repaired end looks like....So far so good....
Rob M Concord, MA

lrpavlo

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Sportwagen DSG, 02 NB Auto
2 part epoxy glue that I really gooped on the split and let it flow around has worked for 2 years!

tdi369

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 golf white
stayalert: i have the same problem with mine. only at the valve. unless you put some glue before you put the heat shrink over the hose there will be still some leak in your system.