2015 Passat tail light reflector's ???

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
I'm just wondering if this is common on all the 2011 to 2015 Passat tail lights.

Just noticed when I was changing out a couple of flickering LED bulbs I had installed a year ago for new ones that I could not see a " mirrored reflector " inside the housing in back of the bulbs. Or is it that I just can't see it?

The Jetta I had, did have mirrored reflectors for the bulbs, I'm sure.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
They should be in there somewhere, although on the 2016+ they put them in the bumper

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
They should be in there somewhere, although on the 2016+ they put them in the bumper
bumper ????????

I was considering buying the Chinese LED tail light sets and I pulled the tail light on my 2015 Passat to check something. I had a very good close look and did see some fairly small kind of (NOT) mirror like silvery stuff.

After reading up here on TDI club and others I dropped my interest in the Chinese tail lights. TOOO MUCKING FUCH trouble to adapt ! They claim just some wiring changes, but this really requires much more than some wiring changes.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
jrm was referring to the actual red-lens reflector in the bumper of the newer NMS, NOT the reflective silvered cup behind the bulb you're referring to.

One of the weaknesses of the NMS Passat is the dreadfully weak light produced by the brake lights, the flaw being the red lens itself not allowing enough light through. If the housing has a light coating of dirt, and direct sunlight, it's barely visible.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I'll just say that the OE Chinese LED tail lights are awesome. Brake light visibility is significantly improved in all driving conditions.
It was absolutely worth the time and effort that we put into installing them. :)

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'll just say that the OE Chinese LED tail lights are awesome. Brake light visibility is significantly improved in all driving conditions.
It was absolutely worth the time and effort that we put into installing them. :)
Have you guys added any more new and current info to the old thread about this adaptation ?
Thx

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Have you guys added any more new and current info to the old thread about this adaptation ?
Thx
I don't think there's anything else to add, although I should probably go through the old thread and make sure there isn't anything else that we missed.

To make the Chinese LED lights function properly, you need a Curt trailer lighting controller, need to run a 12 volt power source to the rear of the car, and need to add some additional wiring to essentially clone the inner lights to the outer lights (otherwise it doesn't look right). The most difficult part of the job is removing portions of the interior to run the 12 volt line to the back of the car. The whole job can be done in a weekend by someone with reasonable mechanical and electrical aptitude.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I don't think there's anything else to add, although I should probably go through the old thread and make sure there isn't anything else that we missed.
To make the Chinese LED lights function properly, you need a Curt trailer lighting controller, need to run a 12 volt power source to the rear of the car, and need to add some additional wiring to essentially clone the inner lights to the outer lights (otherwise it doesn't look right). The most difficult part of the job is removing portions of the interior to run the 12 volt line to the back of the car. The whole job can be done in a weekend by someone with reasonable mechanical and electrical aptitude.
The Curt controller, I assume it is a powered controller since you say you had to run a 12 volt line to the rear. Would that require one controller for each side?
I'll have to see if I can find the old thread to see if it shows how the controller is utilized. Do you tell in that link how the 12 volt was run to the rear? I needed 12 volts in the trunk of my former Jetta and I ran the wiring under the door sills right from the battery.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=352634

That thread has most of the information that you need. You only need a single Curt model 56201 controller to control the lights. We ran the 12 volt along the door sill on the passenger's side of the car, which required removing the front passenger's seat to gain adequate access. Seat removal is pretty straight-forward... a few bolts and a wiring connectors.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Sorry, one more question. Did you use this too? Requires CURT powered converter wiring kit #55151 Or by not using it is that the reason you ran a 12 volt line to the trunk ?
Thx

PS: I saved your link so I can peruse it at leisure later.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
We did not use that kit. Instead, we ran our own wiring from the fuse block back to the controller. Now that I think about it, I think we ran the power line down the driver's side of the car, since that's the side that the fuse block is on, as well as where the Curt controller is mounted (in the trunk).

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
We did not use that kit. Instead, we ran our own wiring from the fuse block back to the controller. Now that I think about it, I think we ran the power line down the driver's side of the car, since that's the side that the fuse block is on, as well as where the Curt controller is mounted (in the trunk).
Thanks for your info and help.
Because of that I just ordered a set of tail lights off eBay for US $ 365.55 ( Cdn $ 493.00 ) shipped.

Also ordered a 56201 from Tdot in Canada for US $ 96.00 (Cdn $ 125.00) shipped. Less expensive than buying from a US seller and paying sometimes very expensive shipping. ALL the FREE SHIPPING only applies to the USA !

So it looks like I'll be a busy fellow when it all arrives.

Now I'm thinking of LED DRL projector Headlights using a D2S bulb.:rolleyes:
A consolation is that in actuality VW is paying for this with the money I'm getting from them,

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ordered the tail lights on June 29th for US$ 361.66 and free shipping, just arrived today July 7th. Seller "sunnyhid" on eBay has one left as of today
Very fast delivery. Had to pay Cdn $ 32.00 (US$22.00) duty.

Now I'll have to get into the thread and copy and print what I need to know to hook them up.

Tried to test them and find something curious, I can get the back-up light, the yellow turn signal to come on but unable to just get the bullet tail light. Bullet tail light only in the outer lights

Maybe I'll find it in the thread. Two different pins give me what I would call full brake lights.

The inner light has 3 pins and I get

# 1 = tail light
# 2 = Brake light
# 3 = Ground

The outer lights have 6 pins. Not too sure which is ground.

I think it will be a while until I'll be able to install these lights.

Last edited:

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Review the thread. I mapped all the pins out in the first post. -J
I even printed out your hand drawn schematic. Unfortunately your lights and mine seem to be different.

My outer lights are 6 pins as are yours. But the inner lights are 3 pin only.
Using a 12 volt test battery I can get a setup for the inner lights.

My inner lights
Pin 3 is ground, pin 2 is brake and maybe turn signal, pin 3 is the bullet tail light.
Your inner lights have 4 pins.

I'll send you a PM since there are several explanations I would ask of you with regards to the schematic.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
The 4th pin is for the rear fog light.

The outer "ring" portion of the light is for the running light (reduced duty cycle) and brake / turn (full power). The "bullet" light should only be powered with full power.

-J