Suggestions for broken-down, low-mileage 1999 TDI

TDI1999

TDI
Hello, all -

I'm the son of someone in Southern Ontario who owns a 1999 TDI with relatively low mileage (126,000 KM). My mum can't drive the car anymore, due to her illness, and although it's been useful for myself and the caregivers to have around for errands and ferrying her to the doctor, we're now at a point where the car needs significant work just to be road-worthy: probably new front struts, definitely new front shocks (according to the local Canadian Tire, about $1800 worth of work).

The engine is still in great shape; the body is in the shape you'd expect of a VW that has lived in Southern Ontario winters for 18 years: ugly, but still in one piece. My question for the experts is: what to do with this fading beauty? We'd like to give the parts that still work continued life, but are reluctant to put nearly $2K into a car with less than half that much in "blue book value." Is there a market for this car for parts? Or should it just be donated to charity as-is?

Thank you for any help you can offer.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
I'm no expert, but if the car is still in good shape, the body isn't falling apart and it only needs new struts and/or shocks, I would find a reliable vw mechanic in your area and get it fixed for much, much less. Whatever you do, never take your car to Canadian tire, regardless of make, or the dealership

Also, just food for thought, I would think a low mileage ALH engine like yours can fetch quite a bit of cash, so even if you decide to get rid of the car, just don't throw it all away to the scrapper

Last edited:

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
Agreed. Take it to someone who knows these cars and get a second opinion. Front struts and front shocks are one in the same. Maybe the car has a broken front spring too? Either way with two front springs and two shocks, this shouldn't cost $1800 or anywhere near it.

One thing worth asking with such low KMs has the timing belt ever been exchanged due to its age?

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
^ this. It would be a shame if a low mileage example like yours was felled due to an old snapped belt.

If you are mechanically inclined, I would do the work yourself.

That said, If you are not, you would have to pay for labour to bring the car up to snuff, and that can get expensive.

What other options does the car have? what colours in/out?

Any other major issues?

My guess is that it will also need other major updates like control arm bushings, rear beam bushings, ball joints and such as well.

As above, get someone who knows these cars to have a look and give you a second estimate to compare to the one you got from CanTire.

TOPH R

Veteran Member
TDI
Stupid GMC 2500HD non diesel :(
Call one of the used vw parts recyclers and get some pre assembled oem strut and spring assemblies for about 50 bux each.
Canadian tire should NOT work on vw's.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
One thing to check: does the word "Total" appear in the odometer?

If not, it's already rolled over 300K km once and is actually a 426K km MK3. :)

Only mention this 'cause it's a common Kijiji ad "rare low mileage 1999 Jetta" misconception.

Of course mileage is just a number, but if it really has 426K on it you may feel a little differently about what repairs it's likely going to need in the future.

Or not. :) :)

TDI1999

TDI
Thanks, more

Hello, all who have responded –

Thanks very much for these extremely helpful thoughts: you've certainly given me second thoughts about putting this car out to pasture so quickly.

In answer to a couple of the further questions here: yes, at least one of the front springs is definitely broken, on top of the work diagnosed on the struts: I can hear the spring clanking when I turn the car. The mileage is actual, not rolled-over: my mum was diagnosed with Parkinson's around the time she bought the car, and drove it sparingly until she couldn't drive it any more. And the outside color is silver; black on the inside: the most supportive seats I've ever sat in in any car, even though the driver's seat now won't release and lift forward to let someone into the back seat on that side (it's a 2-door), making it even more of a challenge to make daily use of.

I will certainly look for a local alternative to Canadian Tire; if anyone has any suggestions for a good VW mechanic in the Golden Horseshoe (esp. Hamilton/Burlington), those would be very gratefully received.

Thanks again!

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
2 door? Must be a Golf? Quite rare and well worth fixing up, or selling as is to an enthusiast. Fixing the front suspension is not very difficult for someone with moderate handyman skills and parts are not expensive at all.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I'm already putting stuff off on the Passat in favour of replacing the shingles on my roof. I have no time.

Although I've had a 99.5 before... :D