08 Grand Cherokee CRD fuel tank leaking

atifvw

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI, 2015 Golf Wagon TDI. 2008 Grand Cherokee Diesel
Any one know a good reasonable price to re-furbish fuel tanks??? Dealer price $2000 installed. ***!

History:

Looks like this is a known issue with these, skid plate under the tank retains water and salt that eats up the tank starts leaking 6+ years old. I bought mine for $5000 + tax. Limited fully loaded with HIDs 275k kms, someone traded it in at Newmarket Honda, folks at Honda had it listed for $7900 as is, it had check engine light on etc I checked the codes that pointed to turbo actuator waste gate stuck etc. Told them it needs a new turbo with bunch of other issues will need lots of money to fix offered 5000 and they took it. I drove it from newmarket to my mechanic, drove fine so I knew turbo was ok it was the actuator. But you can't buy the actuator as a replacement part, most mechanics including mine say you need a new turbo BUT you don't a simple Kijjiji search led me to this guy in Mississauga not too far from home who rebuilds dead actuators for $200, half an hour labor and 200....all back to normal.

The engine is a Mercedes Benz OM642 used in a lot of different vehicles, Sprinter vans, ML 320/350, E320/350, GL 320/350 Bluetecs, Dodge vans, frieghtliner cargo vans etc.

Based on the issues I see with SCR based diesels, I wanted to get something old school that I could customize get more power out of for cheap so this ended up being the best option. The tank leaking is going to put the project on hold so appreciate if anyone can share how to resolve the leak for cheap.

Johhny04

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi
My brother had one of these before trading it in. His tank was starting to leak too. I found a scrap yard in Florida selling one for $250 in good condition. There is a website which searches parts for you in Canada or North America wide. I've forgotten the link. Wingnut has posted it before on someone else's inquiry.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Go to www.car-parts.com lists all the wrecking yards in North America and their inventories.

Resealing the tank is not going to stop the tank from rusting. Just lines/seals it with epoxy. The lifetime warranty is a clever trick. If a vehicle has a rusted out gas tank, the rest of it is not that far away and unlikely that it will be on the road more than a few years. Does the warranty cover the labour if the tank starts to leak again? Usually doesn't.

I would get a good used tank from below the rust belt and install it.

Last edited:

atifvw

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI, 2015 Golf Wagon TDI. 2008 Grand Cherokee Diesel
Thanks all for the input. Just wanted to update everyone. I will not post the numbers quoted by recommended vendors of prices found for used ones via the links mentioned in previous posts. I will however share my finding this place on Meyerside drive off of dixie and 401. They charged $400 to re-fabricate rusted metal with new metal welded and sealed and sprayed some kind of poly urethane material so it doesn't rust as quick.

And yes imo000 I don't believe in life time warranties, from the looks of it I think I'll get around 3 years out of it, which is the objective at this time.