500,000 miles on a 1.8T Jetta!

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Because they had removed and disassembled the engine and the owner was probably ready for a new car at that point?

I suppose they could have put it all back together and sold it for practically nothing, but at that point it's probably worth more in parts/scrap.

Pretty impressive for a 1.8T with an automatic transmission. I wonder if it was the original trans or if it has been replaced along the way.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I wonder how long the MIL was on? :p

That is pretty good for that engine. What I would be wondering is if the timing chain and phaser were original. That seems to be the weakest link on that engine, but can be replaced without too much drama. Even cars that get perfect service still seem to have that need attention eventually.

Used Castrol Syntec, too. Same stuff I have used on my cars for years. :D

Last edited:

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
THose *******s Kevorkianed the car, that pisses me off. :mad: Why not drive it until it pukes?

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
If that was mostly highway miles, I can see how it made it to half a million miles.

This is probably why the car was retired: VW probably paid him enough to get a new car and VW gets to use his car for promotinal testament to longevity, so both win.

--Nate

oilhammer

TDI
Meh, Volkswagen usually seems to have no interest in this sort of thing. I am somewhat surprised they were involved at all, to be honest.

My buddy had a 569,xxx mile 1987 Jetta (1.8L GX gasser). We were at their HQ in Auburn Hills one year for a big car show, and the VOA folks there seemed totally uninterested, unimpressed, when we talked about it. His car was not present at the time, however I had my 1991 Jetta there... and they seemed ashamed it was a diesel. This was around 1994, when we had nothing but gassers, and most of those were crap. B3 Passat, Corrado, early Eurovans... junk, junk, junk. :rolleyes:

pleopard

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
What was the specified OCI for the 2001 1.8T? He says he changed the oil every 5000-7000 miles. Was this more often than recommended by VW?

pleopard

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Found a Bentley Publisher link. Apparently it's 5000 miles, so it sounds like the guy just stuck more or less with the recommended factory intervals with the standard dealer-supplied oil. At 45,000 miles per year, most of his miles were likely highway, which surely helped.

oilhammer

TDI
Most VW-branded cars with 1.8t engines sold in the USA have an interval of 5000 miles, with an oil spec of 502.00 5w40 (which the Castrol Syntec products meets).

Audi-branded cars, even with the same engine, are often 10k miles but will have an oil level sensor and SRI in the Instruments.

Keeping the oil topped up, and using a good filter along with the proper oil, is key for these engines. They have very little tolerance for neglect, especially in B segment cars where the longitudinal mounting of the engine truncated the oil sump capacity due to the shape of the oil pan (which is why those applications now call for the larger oil filter, to help add some oil capacity, as per a TSB from some years back).

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
I'd be interested to see what's going on under the valve cover of my father's 1.8t... he changes the oil with 5w40 every 5,000 miles (I turned on the fixed OCI reminder when he brought it home so it gongs and dings at him to remind him). Really the only problems he's had with the car are over-tightened spark plugs (the timesert kit works great ;) ), a bad fuel pump, and a bad SAI pump.

I believe he has almost 270,000 miles on it now.

-J

oilhammer

TDI
Good engines if properly cared for. I've got several 1/4 million mile + customer cars with them. One car I actually desludged at 65k, and it is now approaching 200k after I showed them the contents of their owner's manual. :)

FloridaJohn

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf DSG - sold to VW
Pretty impressive for a 1.8T with an automatic transmission. I wonder if it was the original trans or if it has been replaced along the way.
How many transmissions? :D
According to this post on his blog, it is the original transmission, too.

"... the Jetta still has its original 1.8 turbo engine and automatic transmission. Neither one has ever been worked on by a mechanic, and I’ve never changed the transmission fluid."

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Part of the demise of a car is miles accumulated, part is due to calendar age. Cars that log lots of miles per year can rack up amazing numbers, but that is only half of the equation.

I bet pretty much any car can rack up a zillion miles if it is put into a near constant running condition.

pleopard

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
This is why I never shut my car off. When I go to work or to bed, I give it to a guy I've hired to drive it in circles around town. I insist that the oil never stops flowing and heat cycling (from cool down and warm up) never occurs!

TriviaSteve

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS Wagon, 550K miles, 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI S, 100K miles and a 65 beetle
in case you can't see that picture, it's 488,888 miles! I expect to hit 500K within the next 5-8 weeks.

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
This is why I never shut my car off. When I go to work or to bed, I give it to a guy I've hired to drive it in circles around town. I insist that the oil never stops flowing and heat cycling (from cool down and warm up) never occurs!
How much is the cost for the employee and the fuel?

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
Regarding labor cost. Find a group of teenage boys to drive your car around all night, they will do it free of charge.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
Regarding labor cost. Find a group of teenage boys to drive your car around all night, they will do it free of charge.
And some will do it without even being asked. ;)

New Mickey

The user formerly known as mickey
TDI
2015 Passat
Properly cared-for I think most cars and trucks will do that these days. My daughter is still driving my 2007 Honda Accord with 250K on the clock and it doesn't burn a drop of oil. The sum total of unscheduled repairs to date: The cruise control switch had to be replaced ($20) and the factory radio died so I put in an Alpine.

That's it.

I expect that from ANY car, and won't tolerate any more shenanigans than that. Hondas may be boring, but the reliability spoils you.

-mickey

oilhammer

TDI
Properly cared-for I think most cars and trucks will do that these days. My daughter is still driving my 2007 Honda Accord with 250K on the clock and it doesn't burn a drop of oil. The sum total of unscheduled repairs to date: The cruise control switch had to be replaced ($20) and the factory radio died so I put in an Alpine.
That's it.
I expect that from ANY car, and won't tolerate any more shenanigans than that. Hondas may be boring, but the reliability spoils you.
-mickey

Calling BS on the oil burning. No way ANY car, even (or especially) a Honda, can go its full 10k mile service interval with 5w20 oil and not need it topped up at least a little.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Calling BS on the oil burning. No way ANY car, even (or especially) a Honda, can go its full 10k mile service interval with 5w20 oil and not need it topped up at least a little.
We had a '98 Odyssey van, the original 4-cyl one (well not quite, that year it went to a VTEC engine). We put 300k km on it. I NEVER had to top up the oil on it. However the recommended change interval was 6k km for "severe" service (for which our winters qualified), and 12k km for regular service.