CP3 on a '14 done and running

Whitbread

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Several
In a return favor to a very close friend for lending me his tow truck for my shop moving, I am happy to report the operation was a success! The cp4 died with just over 100K on the clock. One injector ended up being stuck open so a new set was installed.

A huge thanks to Andrew at 2 Micron for the pump kit and Sonya for the injectors!

While the pump bolted on just fine, the factory thermostat neck hit the cp3 and the high pressure outlet fitting. So, I grabbed some chunks of aluminum and made it work. Andrew is investigating clocking/modifying the pump to negate this fancy bit of fab work.

Last edited:

Brad95

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE Manual since 09/28/12-04/05/18, 2015 Passat TDI SE Manual Since 03/29/2018

what model is it?

Ares

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE
Thanks for sharing the results, and nice fab work.

How much of the fuel system needed to be cleaned due to the failure?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
So whats the ball park price of these conversion "kits" of just the parts? Passat/jetta/golf.

Whitbread

TDI
Several

what model is it?
14 passat hence the passat forum.

Thanks for sharing the results, and nice fab work.

How much of the fuel system needed to be cleaned due to the failure?
Cleaned the hp fuel system and replaced all 4 injectors. One was stuck open.

Given the "561" part number on the hose in the 3rd picture (and this being the NMS Passat forum), it is a Passat.
That's kinda exciting...
Car is running well, they already put 4k miles since I did the swap.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
So...

For those not in the know, like me....

What are the benefits of a CP3 over our CP4?
CP3's benifits...
-much better reliability than the CP4
-ability to flow more fuel than the CP4 thus allowing more power output for those with upgraded turbos.

Whitbread

TDI
Several
So...

For those not in the know, like me....

What are the benefits of a CP3 over our CP4?
As ATR said, the main benefit is your high pressure fuel pump not exploding, stranding you somewhere, and sending shrapnel through your entire fuel system requiring cubic dollars to fix.

While the new passat's don't seem to have the failure rate (yet?) of hpfp's that cbea's do, by no means are they safe since they use the same crappy pump. Side benefit is much more fuel for the modded guys :D.

Once the kinks get worked out of 2Microns kit, I'd strongly recommend doing a cp3 swap with your first timing belt as preventative maintenance. Yeah, it's not cheap, but it's far cheaper than the above scenario 6 months after you did a timing belt! Ask my friend how nice it was to be 200 miles from home and the car quits with almost no warning on the freeway....

Last edited:

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
When you say the main benefit is your HPFP not exploding, does that mean it is more tolerant to our substandard fuel? And is it more tolerant to misfueling or tainted fuel? Or is that something we don't know yet?

Finally, let's say I hypothetically decide to get a Malone tune. Are there any additional benefits one would see with the CP3 and a tune as compared to a CP4 and a tune?

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
When you say the main benefit is your HPFP not exploding, does that mean it is more tolerant to our substandard fuel? And is it more tolerant to misfueling or tainted fuel? Or is that something we don't know yet?

Finally, let's say I hypothetically decide to get a Malone tune. Are there any additional benefits one would see with the CP3 and a tune as compared to a CP4 and a tune?
The design of the CP3 itself is much more robust. Beyond the fuel quality the CP3 has proven itself many times to simply be very reliable.

For tuning the CP3 pump will out flow the stock pump. The stock cp4 will loose steam around 200whp. With the CP3 pump, no one has yet found the point in which fueling is a problem yet. That says a lot because I think the highest hp reported so far is something like 250-300whp with the CP3. No signs of fuel starvation either :cool::D

Whitbread

TDI
Several

I'm in total agreement with ATR here also, the cp3's are basically indestructible. You have to be pretty talented to damage one. However, full tanks of water are still not recommended.

Put on a cr170 turbo with the cp3 and a good tune and you'll be in for a very fun ride :cool:.

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Put on a cr170 turbo with the cp3 and a good tune and you'll be in for a very fun ride :cool:.
Well a fun ride that will be completely hamstrung by the crapttastic fwd platform, suspension and steering and power interference of the ecu. The stock setup can barely keep up as is.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
I'm in total agreement with ATR here also, the cp3's are basically indestructible. You have to be pretty talented to damage one. However, full tanks of water are still not recommended.
The "cr170" is the turbo that's used in the golf and Jetta (CBEA)(CJAA).

The NMS Passat is only compatible with the cr190 as a straight swap turbo.

Well a fun ride that will be completely hamstrung by the crapttastic fwd platform, suspension and steering and power interference of the ecu. The stock setup can barely keep up as is.
It all comes down to how much traction you have. Even if these cars were rear wheel drive you'd have problems with traction because of the massive amount of torque they put out.

Good tires are first and foremost the most important thing to have . A limited slip differential is the second thing to have.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Traction is only really an issue getting out of the hole, I don't think these will be breaking free at 50mph trying to over take on a two lane road.

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
236 ft lbs is not massive in my book, but I come from V6 Altimas amd other boosted JDMs along with ttactor pulling class torque monster trucks. But it is enough to chirp even good tires on many roads.

If not for dieselgate a cp3 would be in the works now for me but not for power sake. Just too expensive to get use outa more power on this platform imo.

Last edited:

jw4free

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
So, you're saying I should put a cummins or Duramax CR pump on my Passat. and the 6.7 Ford pump is garbage... I think I'm getting on board with the concept.

jw4free

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
Reviewed the thread for CP3 on MK-VI platform by 2 Micron. Ok, impressive.

I have provided myself with some further clarification.

Last edited:

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Reviewed the thread for CP3 on MK-VI platform by 2 Micron. Ok, impressive.

I have provided myself with some further clarification.
How about a link to the thread in question so the rest of us can check it out as well? :confused: No idea if you were in the A6 Jetta or A6 Golf/Sportwagen forum.

Duramaxdude

TDI
2011 golf
Hey does anyone know if any "re-tuning" needs to be done? Or is t just plug and play. Reason im asking os i want to get a stage 2 malone tune but do i need to specify if it is a cp3 or cp4 pump?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sycofiend71

TDI
2006 blue graphite 55,000 miles, average 44mpg. Sold :( 2014 Passat TDI (Wife)
So, you're saying I should put a cummins or Duramax CR pump on my Passat. and the 6.7 Ford pump is garbage... I think I'm getting on board with the concept.

the 2011+ Duramax uses the CP4.2 pump just like the powerstroke. there are retro fits for it from Industrial injection.

Duramaxdude

TDI
2011 golf
the 2011+ Duramax uses the CP4.2 pump just like the powerstroke. there are retro fits for it from Industrial injection.

Yes most people are doing a cp3 conversion on their lml (2011-current) duramax's. Same thing was happening, the stock cp4's were going put and destroying the entire fuel system. Although gm claims they were revised and the current ones are more robust. There is actually some good info on the forum duramax diesels talking about how and why the cp4 fails. Basically comes down to cheap materials and design.

Spike_africa

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI/w DSG
For those saying the CP4 has relative low failure rate. My 13 Passat just clicked over 37k miles. This is still a very new and great shape car that is well taken of. HPFP failed and took out the entire fuel system. This is a CPO car so I have another 36k miles warranty on top of factory one. This pump is crap if it can't make it past 37k miles in a normal daily driver. That is just terrible.

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
Do the 13-14 15 models have additional electric fuel pump in USA?
In Europe they come without secondary fuel pump and pressure is way too high for CP3 to work.