www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > OBD Scanners

OBD Scanners Discussions on using On Board Diagnostic (OBD) scanners/ Diagnostic Equipment related to TDIs

Old November 23rd, 2016, 04:35   #31
Diesl
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod99 View Post
I'm experiencing odd behaviour after adding the "soot" gauge to Torque.
The gauge seems to work ok (reading 70g), then after < 1min, Torque disconnects from my Bluetooth OBD2 adapter (cheapo aliexpress ELM327 clone) and will not re-connect until I power cycle the OBD2 adapter. If I remove the "soot" gauge all is back to normal, and no more disconnects. Weird.
Any idea what might be causing this?
I think I have a different OBD2 adapter laying around, which I will try and see if it behaves the same way. My phone is a Nexus 4, if that makes any difference.
Any news on the results with the other adapter? 70g soot seems an implausible value: regeneration should start at about 17g. If I remember correctly, 40g is the upper limit beyond which regeneration on the road is disabled, and 45g is the absolute limit, beyond which even a VW shop can't recover the DPF. I'm not saying that 70g can't occur as a reading, after all the car calculates this number, it is not a direct measurement, but it seems out of the normal range.

If it works, take it apart and find out why!
Diesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2016, 05:37   #32
zaphod99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesl View Post
Any news on the results with the other adapter? 70g soot seems an implausible value: regeneration should start at about 17g. If I remember correctly, 40g is the upper limit beyond which regeneration on the road is disabled, and 45g is the absolute limit, beyond which even a VW shop can't recover the DPF. I'm not saying that 70g can't occur as a reading, after all the car calculates this number, it is not a direct measurement, but it seems out of the normal range.
I finally got around to trying my other adapter this morning, and no disconnect issue with this one. However, my readings are erratic and out of the range you described.

At startup, the reading was 63g and fluctuated (up and down) by a few g, and once went wildly up to 166g before coming back down to the 60's. At about 10km into my 50km commute I noticed a regen in progress. At this point the reading was 86g, which held constant during the regen and for most of the remainder of the drive. Near the end of the drive, the reading finally moved off of 86g down to the high 40's to low 50's, with one wild swing to 187g. I'm not sure what to make of these readings.

Last edited by zaphod99; November 24th, 2016 at 07:51.
zaphod99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2016, 14:02   #33
Diesl
Veteran Member

Happy Thanksgiving! It might be a good idea to double check the formula:
((R49<8)+R50)/100 . A missing or misplaced parenthesis could really screw things up.
R49*2.56 + R50/100 should also work.

Except for the numbers, the behavior you describe sounds similar to what I see:
Constant readout during a regeneration and for a while (50 miles for me) afterwards, then a jump to a lower number (usually 6 to 8 gram for me - haven't checked it that often) and slow increase from there.

The erratic jumps also point in the direction of a wrong math formula, or that your car's computer has gone bonkers. Maybe VW tried a special improved cheating firmware in yours...

Old November 28th, 2016, 07:27   #34
zaphod99

Quote:
Happy Thanksgiving! It might be a good idea to double check the formula:
((R49<8)+R50)/100 . A missing or misplaced parenthesis could really screw things up.
R49*2.56 + R50/100 should also work.
Except for the numbers, the behavior you describe sounds similar to what I see:
Constant readout during a regeneration and for a while (50 miles for me) afterwards, then a jump to a lower number (usually 6 to 8 gram for me - haven't checked it that often) and slow increase from there.
The erratic jumps also point in the direction of a wrong math formula, or that your car's computer has gone bonkers. Maybe VW tried a special improved cheating firmware in yours...
I verified that I had the correct formula. I also tried the alternate formula "R49*2.56 + R50/100" and the result is the same.
Back in post #25 @bud_128 reported readings as high as 200g, so I'm not alone. Maybe both our ECUs have gone bonkers
Old November 28th, 2016, 21:55   #35
Diesl
Veteran Member

Mhmm. Maybe that means my formula only works for certain TDIs. Yours is a 2013 Passat, and bud_128 drives a 2014 something. Maybe also a Passat? A 2014 Jetta or Golf should have exactly the same engine as my 2012 wagon (which is really more a Golf than a Jetta, despite what the nameplate says). Bummer.

If you wanted, you could check what Torque lists by itself for Mode 6 ('Test Results') data. Maybe in your car the soot is a few bytes over?

Last edited by Diesl; November 28th, 2016 at 22:05.
Old November 30th, 2016, 06:32   #36
zaphod99

Quote:
If you wanted, you could check what Torque lists by itself for Mode 6 ('Test Results') data. Maybe in your car the soot is a few bytes over?
Absolutely right. I watched PID 06b2 in "test" mode, and although the sequence '7E82736' was not there, it was evident that the 2 bytes of interest were the last byte on line "5:" and the first byte on line "6:". I adjusted my formula to '((R40<8)+R41)/100' and now I'm seeing reasonable values in the 7-18g range. FYI my pre-regen reading topped out at x'0706'.

Last edited by zaphod99; November 30th, 2016 at 06:43.
Old April 18th, 2017, 21:41   #37
Diesl
Veteran Member

Update: I had the opportunity to test my torque setup on a 2015 golf wagon TDI, and everything seems to work, incl. EGTs, manifold pressure (requested and actual ), fuel pressure, DPF soot load etc.. In fact, the soot load was 24 gram, as the car had only ever been driven very short distances, and I saw it start a regeneration.