If you are considering buyback which cars are you looking at as replacements?

aliasbane

TDI
Passat 2013
So this is my new baby I bought for 7k(taxes reg included).

1999 Chevy Silverado 1500 LS 4x4, 4.8L V8
Only has 91k miles on the clock, from a nice older gentleman wanting a new car before he retires.

I have a lot of things planned for the truck, all maintance done by me, but I'm gonna sound deaden the cabin, upgrade the battery, alternator, Air Intake, Head Unit, Gauge Cluster, Speakers, Floor Mats, Seat Covers.

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI sold, Mazda 3 purchased
I told the salesman that I was giving VW a 5 year break. I said that I would be back when; Consumers Report gives them a good rating, when they reintroduced diesels, or when they seriously introduced a decent Bolt rang electric car.

Johnny G1

TDI
2013 golf wagon DSg
Already bought a new car, 2014 Honda CRV Touring, 28k on it, mint shape, all leather and a better car than the 2013 Golf Wagon that will sit in the driveway untill buy back.

tvmaster

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
how long after a new car model is introduced are they discounted?

JSW going back to meet her maker next month.
How long after a new car model is introduced are they discounted?
Most interested in the new KIA Niro, but they're at best selling for $50 over the Costco invoice price, with no incentives of any kind from KIA.
They were introduced on Super Bowl day.
Does it take month? A year? Sometimes never?

friedduck

TDI
'15 GSW
I'd echo the sentiment to stay away from MINIs. I loved mine but had nothing but trouble, and sold it before the warranty ran out. The GTI is an amazing car. My wife has a '12 that I still love to drive (6mt.) I'd buy another but having two is a bit much.

The thing about that car is that it has about as much space (IIRC) as the current Tiguan in a sportscar package. Nothing but great things to say about ours.

Jeff

SOCALGAL

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan & 2013 Jetta Wagon
I thought I had heard that the new Jeep pickup would be a 2018 model, not a 2019. I guess that might work better for the JSW replacement time line though.
2018 will be the next generation of the Wrangler, JL. Suppose to be a little more aerodynamic. 2017 JK is the last year that the front windshield will fold down, it will be stationary for 2018. Check out Jeep garage or the Wrangler forums, I'm sure there are some threads on the pickup.

maf007

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
Bought a 2012 4Runner after 3 decades of small, high MPG cars. After hanging out on the largest 4Runner forum, I can say that they have no real problems other than deciding which cosmetic mod to do. Quite unlike this forum, where I have received invaluable help to fix major problems inherent in the Passat. So long and thanks for all the fish ;)

dbias

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE w sunroof buyback 3/18/17
Did my buyback Saturday. The whole process took all of about 6 minutes.
Money is in account this morning. Picking up my new A4 this afternoon. I considered alot of other vehicles and mind was made up midway through the test drive.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
JSW going back to meet her maker next month.
How long after a new car model is introduced are they discounted?
Most interested in the new KIA Niro, but they're at best selling for $50 over the Costco invoice price, with no incentives of any kind from KIA.
They were introduced on Super Bowl day.

Does it take month? A year? Sometimes never?
Yes to all of the above. Some cars and manufaturers seem to start discounting before the new model hits the lots. Other models are rarely if ever discounted. Depends on preception. Is the car going to take the market by storm or is it a turd that will be most popular on the rental lots?

sooner2k8

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI S
Looking at Tesla Model 3 or Tesla Model S.

What I like about TDIs is their 'torquiness' and get up and go. I dislike driving cars now that are about the same price as a TDI and petrol. They just dont have the same feel. I really dread going down to a car like that.

Electric cars exceed the TDI in torque and hp, and dependent upon source of electricity, actually good for the environment.

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
If you didn't already put your name on the list for a Model 3 you won't be getting one for at least 2 years; I think they already pre-sold the entire 2017-18 MY run.

I was looking as switching to a Model 3 as well but once I saw the waiting list for them I gave that dream up.

sooner2k8

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI S
If you didn't already put your name on the list for a Model 3 you won't be getting one for at least 2 years; I think they already pre-sold the entire 2017-18 MY run.

I was looking as switching to a Model 3 as well but once I saw the waiting list for them I gave that dream up.
I am on the list already. That money can either be refunded to me, or put towards a Model S. So basically it is just holding my place until I decide what to do for my next vehicle.

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
I switched from the Touareg to a Model S. The torque is intoxicating. It was my third EV so I already knew what I was getting in to regarding care and feeding of an electric car. I'd do it again in a second. I also had a reservation on a Model 3 and got it refunded when I went for the S. The S was CPO and it's nearly like new at half the cost. Wouldn't have been able to afford it otherwise. Now the Touareg is just parked until it gets bought back.

767wrench

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup
After much consideration I submitted for the buyback yesterday. Going for a chicane yellow 2017 Nissan 370 z! Don't have quite the drive I used to so I can afford the extra fuel.

Update : I test drove the z expecting to be impressed by the power but it's honestly slower in most driving situations. The power was non existent until 5k +rpm. Definitely not used to that. I'm keeping my tdi and making some more upgrades. Wasn't wow'd enough to spend 30k

Last edited:

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
I am on the list already. That money can either be refunded to me, or put towards a Model S. So basically it is just holding my place until I decide what to do for my next vehicle.
Oh nice, then you are set! :D
I switched from the Touareg to a Model S. The torque is intoxicating. It was my third EV so I already knew what I was getting in to regarding care and feeding of an electric car. I'd do it again in a second. I also had a reservation on a Model 3 and got it refunded when I went for the S. The S was CPO and it's nearly like new at half the cost. Wouldn't have been able to afford it otherwise. Now the Touareg is just parked until it gets bought back.
I was looking at used/CPO Model S to replace my Golf but the prices were just a little above what I was willing to spend on a replacement.

Nice car though!

titleist1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE TDI
Shopped around and picked up a 2014 Fusion SE w/ 26.5k miles on it. Compared to the Passat, only 60% of the mpg's, room inside is about the same, smaller trunk, less get up and go. But the price was decent with cash left over after buyback and I hope to get another 125k miles out of it the next 5 years with minimal repair cost. One other thing the fusion does not have is the gawd awful tire/road noise the vw had.

Last edited:

Cheekee

TDI
NO MORE 2012 Jetta TDI >> F150
I just retired , so I don't care as much about fuel economy .... I'm going for a 2017 F150 supercrew pickup .... It fits my "new" lifestyle better anyway .... I would have kept the TDI if it weren't for the emission scandal ..... cheers

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
No other options than what come with that edition. I do have: 2.0L motor, automatic transmission, leatherette seats, blind spot monitoring, backup camera, navigation (negotiated during purchase), dark blue metallic flake paint, city automatic braking, cross traffic backup alert, Bluetooth audio and phone. I like it so far. First 100 mile trip one wat Saturday.

RoundHouse

Veteran Member
Way to write a post that reads like spam, CSRPenfab :)

It was the bragging about only getting 12 MPG that did it for me :)

It's the depreciation that costs you the big money , the fuel costs, even at 12 mpg is nowhere near the cost of depreciation .
If a SS holds its value like a Pontiac G8 , then there won't be 75% loss in value in the first 40 months ,like most cars .

After I stopped driving 1000+ miles a week , I sold my 44 mpg Golf Tdi 5 speed and picked up my current vehicle , which gets 11.5 in town and 16 on the hwy
It cost $53K new, I bought it 6 years old for $6K.
So the first owner lost $47K , plus fuel.
I can buy enough gas at 11 mpg to go to the moon and back for $47K
My depreciation is almost zero , I've put 100K on it over the last 5 years and it's currently worth about $3800-4000

It's no where as fast as the SS but it is a 4WD 8 passenger luxury SUV that will go anywhere , taking it to my shack in the mountains this weekend ,
The mile long road in has been scraped and graveled twice or maybe three times since 1992, so you gotta have a 4wd to get there

Plus it was kinda hard to load the wife and son, a big dog ,several days worth of food , a bunch of guns & Ammo , a case of clay targets and a couple cases of 12 gauge shells in a small car

Speaking of changing types of vehicles , There's a company in Atlanta now that has a couple different price plans , from $1000-1500 a month to lease a luxury or sports car vehicle ,and you can swap vehicles anytime you want . That's their selling point is being able to drive a corvette or BMW for a week , then a SUV for a while if you need the room and comfort for a road trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisB009

Shopped around and picked up a 2014 Fusion SE w/ 26.5k miles on it. Compared to the Passat, only 60% of the mpg's, room inside is about the same, smaller trunk, less get up and go. But the price was decent with cash left over after buyback and I hope to get another 125k miles out of it the next 5 years with minimal repair cost.
Our 2013 has had major issues with the trans-axle. I believe Ford extended the warranty to 120,000 for the trans-axle and TCM. Ford had a lot of issues with the overall design which causes issues when shifting(shaking, rattling, etc.). Hopefully the 2014's didn't have the same issue...

-Chris

Vidgamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI (turned in)
Also, I would stay away from the anything Mini.
I frequented a Mini forum to try to get an idea about the cars, and it did seem like maybe they were more problematic than they should be, but they are fun cars. I think my biggest problem was that they seemed overpriced for what they were, although the dealer might have been part of that.

If I was that concerned about reliability, I'd go with Honda or Toyota (or their luxury equivalents), or maybe a domestic brand, where maybe repairs would at least be cheaper. But no, I went and got a German car again.....

tvmaster

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
I frequented a Mini forum to try to get an idea about the cars, and it did seem like maybe they were more problematic than they should be, but they are fun cars. I think my biggest problem was that they seemed overpriced for what they were, although the dealer might have been part of that.

If I was that concerned about reliability, I'd go with Honda or Toyota (or their luxury equivalents), or maybe a domestic brand, where maybe repairs would at least be cheaper. But no, I went and got a German car again.....
And my 2007 Mazda 3 hatch has been extremely reliable (knocking on wood), so I'd consider them as a manufacturer as well, although mine was 95% Japanese build.

cane929

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI DSG S
And my 2007 Mazda 3 hatch has been extremely reliable (knocking on wood), so I'd consider them as a manufacturer as well, although mine was 95% Japanese build.
My wife have a 2012 Mazda 3 that we bought in 2011, not a single issue so far, oil changes and a new set of tires that we bought from the VW dealership using the $500 card, I am waiting for the CX5 Diesel and if that never arrive then I might just get a gas one. Also as owners of a Mazda we get an extra $500 off after you are done with all negotiation.

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
My new one is over 80% Mexican built with almost nothing Japanese built. substitute Germany for Japan and the same applied to my JSW though.

tvmaster

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
My new one is over 80% Mexican built with almost nothing Japanese built. substitute Germany for Japan and the same applied to my JSW though.
that's my concern, and why i mentioned it. I'm hoping Mazda has better quality control in Mexico than VW/BMW has.