Is it a bad idea to perform a diesel purge?

krp312

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE
Greetings,

I want to perform a diesel purge on my Golf (CRUA engine), but I haven't found much info on it. But I've found lots of info for older engines, like this.

I'm a novice. Because I haven't seen it covered a lot for the MK7, I'm worried. Is it safe for me to proceed with the purge?

Many thanks in advance.

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
just run a can of BG245 through it and you'll get same if not better results.

krp312

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE
just run a can of BG245 through it and you'll get same if not better results.

Did you have to connect the supply and return ports of the filter like this (timestamp at approx. 5m)?

EDIT: Added some words.

Last edited:

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
no mucking w/fuel lines, just pour it into the tank every 20k miles or so, works best if you burn that tank up on cold starts and city driving so it can do its work on emissions gear during warm up.. supposed to clean up deposits from fuel system to exhaust system, so recirculating it through EGR should help with that stuff.

I regularly treat my fuel but last winter I was idling at a park eating my lunch and the vehicle stuttered so hard I thought someone hit me.. it did it a few more times and I figured it was just a rough regen (tho why would it start a regen parked?).. but then I noticed it'd do it every time I was idling for any time, definitely not regening... ran that through (~60k mi) and it was gone before the full 25g tank was burned up, and ran better than it had in any winter I had driven it.. used a full bottle on my 3L tank, probably could get 2+ tanks on a 2L or one very concentrated tank.

Lots of Euro Diesel shops use BG245 as normal service regularly, not sure what magic is in the bottle but I've poured all sorts of things into my fuel tank over the last few decades and BG245 is the only one I'm certain that works and could almost immediately notice the difference.. now I try to run it through a tank or two before every filter change.

Last edited:

krp312

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE
nayr, thanks so much for your tips, and that sounds pretty scary to have felt that strong of a stutter.

Just for anyone else finding this post in the future, I'll add that I spoke to my local mechanic. He said that due to a disparity in pressure, it wouldn't be a good idea to run LiquiMoly Diesel Purge straight into the fuel line on an MK7. It's acceptable on the older engines though. Instead, he strongly recommended to top off the fuel filter (or remove fuel from the filter, and then top off). And put the rest in the tank.

I'm just a novice, but he seems to know a lot about TDIs.

If I can determine any worthwhile changes after the treatment, I'll follow up here.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I find pouring diesel purge directly on the garage floor in homage to my crushed 2010 Jetta results in the best performance.

Dilution of diesel purge in a semi full tank is hardly going to be noticeable, I'd much rather find good fuel and run that even if it costs a few cents more.

krp312

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE
After driving for about a week, I'm observing what appears to be a 3-5 mpg increase, and less "kick" during cold starts. It's important to note, however, that I applied the Diesel Purge product and changed my fuel filter, so I'm not totally sure which actions resulted in better mileage.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Or the temps in the Northeast have been really spring like in the past 1-2 weeks. ;) 50-60 the other day.

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 6 speed manual. B5 died at 302k miles.
Do you pour it straight into the filter canister and then use the VCDS to prime the pump?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I'd give all of the miracle in a bottle products a wide berth.

DieselDavid

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6M, 2015 Golf SEL TDI DSG
When I replace my fuel filter, I top it up with diesel purge before screwing it buck up.
This is exactly what I have been doing for my TDIs. When replacing the fuel filter, I remove the older filter and the diesel fuel in the filter canister, install the newer filter and gasket(s), and with a small funnel very slowly pour Diesel Purge into the filter canister until it is mostly full.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
IIRC, in the latest tdi's, so much fuel is recycled back to the tank that this isn't really a diesel purge. It works for changing the filter but I don't think you get full strength cleaner for very long this way. About the same as just adding some to the tank. In the old models/way pure Diesel Purge would go to the fuel pump and engine only, none recycled. I think that is what the OP wants to do.

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 6 speed manual. B5 died at 302k miles.
When replacing the filter, it is best to do the Transfer Fuel Pump test which as I understand it, primes the pump. Sometimes the process takes up to 30 seconds to a minute. I've always felt that the transfer fuel pump probably sends a bit of purge poured into the canister back into the fuel tank. With filling the canister to the brim I can't imagine it would take much priming to get the air out to protect the HPFP. Or am I overthinking this as usual?