2012 82k, Ck Engine Lt, Exhaust Leak, DEF Issues.

wanjman

TDI
2012 Touareg, 2003 Range Rover, 2014 Honda CRV, 2003 BMW R1150GS
So I"ve had my Touareg TDI 2 months, love it, and after owning a W8, I was hoping for less drama at the service dept. LOL. I am also an experienced technician but don't do as much work myself after 30 years of wrenching. The problem started with a warning Lt indicating the DEF was low, so I topped it off but the Lt stayed on. After calling 2 local VW dealers and not getting that warm fuzzy feeling I finally made an appt. with one an hour away that said bring it right in! After an hour they set me up with a loaner and I went home to wait for some news. I also informed the service adviser that I was getting an exhaust smell in the cabin when starting the vehicle cold in the morning. The next day I got a call informing me that the DEF issue was a faulty NOX sensor which is responsible for metering the DEF and the exhaust leak was the waste gate on the Turbo, both covered under the Extended Emissions Warranty. A brand new TURBO at 82k! The technician also discovered an oil leak from the Engine Crankcase Vent Valve.
Part # 05A103495
Not Covered, according to the dealers list of items covered under this new extensive warranty. the part has an MSRP of $224 right from VW's web site. I got a quote for $2390 to replace it!!!
$600 for parts and $1690 for 13 hours of labor! The additional $ for the part was o-rings, clamps and screws? WOW! What a rip off!
I immediately contacted the service manager, and then after no change, I contacted VW Customer Care via email making sure to copy someone at the executive level. I carefully read the warranty and explained that this part was by any definition, an emissions part, and should be covered. VW's stance was that its not technically an emissions part, but I countered with, but if it fails, it does impact the emissions system by allowing excess oil back into the intake which is then combusted and sent through the exhaust, the cat, and the NOX sensor, which will register excess hydrocarbons from the oil. I am currently waiting for the final decision, but my ace in the hole is the last line of the VW Extended Emissions Warranty, which states,
"CONFLICTS CONCERNING THE WARRANTY ARE TO BE RESOLVED IN FAVOR OF THE CONSUMER"
So it would appear that VW has to cover it after all!
I purchased this TDI based on the strength of the warranty and it looks like it paid off, im covered until 2022 or 120k whichever comes first.

I will follow up when I get the final bill and get my car back.
I wonder if the dealer will give me the complimentary oil and filter change I asked for since the Turbo is getting replaced and I don",t want the old ready to change oil, pumped through the shiny new Turbo. We shall see!

Fourdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Touareg V10 TDI
Interesting story/result...keep us informed.
Don't worry too much about 'used' oil going through the turbo. All it does is lube the bearings (and carry some heat away) while they go round and round. The loading on those bearings isn't even close to their failure limits - as long as the heat is removed.

casioqv

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
It's pretty annoying how they seem to fight everyone honoring the post-fix warranty... it's not much of a warranty if it takes a lot of hassle and time to get them to pay for things.

Ncburch22

TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
Any update on your issues? As far as dealership not wanting to honor warranty for vent valve, open a claim with VWNA. I had to do the same. Your 2012 TDI 7p Touareg should be under the 100k/10 year powertrain warranty as well! I had to fight the dealer last month regarding the flange output seal on the transfer case. Dealer claimed this was not part of the powertrain. However, according to VW's own list of areas covered under drivetrain(powertrain item) it states any items related to diffs, tcase, trans, etc. My Touareg sat at the dealership for four weeks. They had to order "special" grease for the new seal and it took two weeks to ship to Austin, Tx from another dealership in New Hampshire. Dealership only honored the warranty after I opened a claim with VW North America.

These dealerships are shisty. Now I have a leaking DEF line in the rear near the tank. It goes back into the shop tomorrow morning for that; covered by warranty.