Whiskey Distilleries?

loganbmx4gt

Veteran Member
TDI
97' Passat (1Z), 02' Golf
I may hit makers mark. Have to decide. I pass the exit for there all the time and say "one day I will stop in". I love me some makers mark :D

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Might need to go check one of the local distilleries out if we can squeeze it in. On a bit of a tight schedule this year.

loganbmx4gt

Veteran Member
TDI
If anybody planned on going to makers mark I just found this, "
Distillery production will shut down (still house only) from August 7th - September 7th for maintenance. Tours and bottling will not be affected. They will run as usual.
So with being said I think I will pass and check the local ones out. Anybody want to get a group together and make a trip?

bhutchins

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDiCup, 02Q built Sept 2010
I spent some time around the Toyota plant (Georgetown KY). and on weekends I'd go tour plants. Jim Beam is got a nice visitors center, but Makers is THE place you want to go.

RedTDIowner

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi A6 3.0 TDI
Whiskey distilleries?
Hate to do grammar police on you but the word whiskey does not sit well with us from Kentucky. In fact, we don't like, drink or produce whiskey. There's all kinds of whiskey. We make and drink bourbon. To those of us that know and understand the difference, its huge. I guess the proper analogy would be if someone thought your TDI was a Kia. You would take it personally and need to set them straight. In a respectful manner of course.

:)

brnsgrbr

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GOLF GTI converted to GTD
I am in for a Makers Mark tour. I may not have a car so if someone needs a rider companion, count me in. As a matter of fact I don't fly out until Tuesday evening. So I would love to go on another tour (at distillery by 11am) so that I can make my 5pm flight out. You can't go to Kentucky and not go on a distillery tour in my opinion. I went to Woodford Reserve this spring and now I want to add more to the list.

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
Hate to do grammar police on you but the word whiskey does not sit well with us from Kentucky. In fact, we don't like, drink or produce whiskey. There's all kinds of whiskey. We make and drink bourbon. To those of us that know and understand the difference, its huge. I guess the proper analogy would be if someone thought your TDI was a Kia. You would take it personally and need to set them straight. In a respectful manner of course.
:D

Important distinction.

loganbmx4gt

Veteran Member
TDI

Sorry. Whisky, Whiskey, Bourbon, Shine its all good. I should have known better. But by technical standards it is a "whiskey". It's just called bourbon because of Bourbon County, where oddly no bourbon is made today. What makes bourbon, tennessee whiskey, rye whiskey, etc. is it's filtration, proof and so on. You i can tell know this though. :)

loganbmx4gt

Veteran Member
TDI
the terms Whiskey vs Bourbon is like diesel vs gas. similar color, big differance :)
And you could make the same argument about whiskey and whisky. It's all "whisky/whiskey" family just a matter of where you live you call it what you want. I get where your coming from on "it's bourbon" I understand heritage and tradition coming from TN and working in that industry. But anyway....bring on the BOURBON!

PS- I would be all for Makers Mark, but since the still house is down for maintaince I don't think I care to now.

cevans

TDI
And you could make the same argument about whiskey and whisky. It's all "whisky/whiskey" family just a matter of where you live you call it what you want.
I'd lay low for a while, you're making yourself an awfully good target for shooting practice...

TDiSkater

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG Salsa Red
I'm am so looking forward to a few good drinks. While I generally favor Irish or Canadian whiskeys, my absolute fav is Elmer T. Lee's single barrel reserve. Got to remember to pick up a good sample of Kentucky's finest while I'm there. I've always been meaning to get some Woodford Reserve. Ok, I'm going downstairs now. This made me thirsty.

RichmondKYtdi

Hands down best tour and scenery is Woodford Reserve (and its the closest to the fest). Brown Forman dropped millions they will never get back since it is too small of a distillery just to make this THE ideal way to show people how bourbon was made back in the day. I have been to every distillery in the state and this is the best.... $5 gets you a tour (takes right under 1 hour), a shot (a few good sips) and dark chocolate bourbon ball candy.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Hands down best tour and scenery is Woodford Reserve (and its the closest to the fest). Brown Forman dropped millions they will never get back since it is too small of a distillery just to make this THE ideal way to show people how bourbon was made back in the day. I have been to every distillery in the state and this is the best.... $5 gets you a tour (takes right under 1 hour), a shot (a few good sips) and dark chocolate bourbon ball candy.
Yup, all that and a GORGEOUS, jewel-like setting.

loganbmx4gt

Veteran Member
TDI
Woodford Reserve sounds like a nice tour, Sundays they have 1,2, & 3pm tours.
Woodford Reserve is the one we will be going to it looks. Although we will be going Saturday while the dyno and all is going on. Then hitting the comedy club that night too.

cevans

TDI
Should we contact Woodford reserve and set up a time so we don't overwhelm them?

I'd love to do the "Corn to Cork" tour but that appears to be Tues-Wed-Thur only.