Fix injection pump seals with additives

Chris_TDI_98

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI 1.9L mk3 1Z AHU
Positive news, after I added one quart of “high mileage automatic transmission fluid” for $4 to 3 gallons of diesel in the tank, the car seemed to get much better fuel economy. Went from about 25 miles per gallon, to about 37 mpg. We’re about 12 from 49 mpg, but I’ll take the 37 mpg :) very pleased.
Still want to replace the seals as soon as the opportunity arises with a fellow TDI Club member who’s already done it and knows the way around the pump seals...

Jak Dac

TDI
85 Hiace
1985 Hiace diesel fuel pump leaking / True one can put Transmission fluid in diesel to expand seals ? If so how much any certain procedure ?

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
AFAIK there's no set amount of ATF to put into your fuel to get the IP seals to swell and stop leaking. So if you're set on doing this, bear in mind you have to keep doing it to keep the pump from leaking, which after a while get's kinda expensive when one could just reseal the IP.

Better to buy the seal kit and have at it IMO.

Steve

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Damn.... I saw the post resurface and hoped comedy would ensue! Left disappointed....

-Todd

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Damn.... I saw the post resurface and hoped comedy would ensue! Left disappointed....

-Todd
You know, I responded without even looking to see who the original author was...now I know why Todd is disappointed... :LOL:

Steve