Need some help with a good crank and no start

Dieselworld

Veteran Member
Ok so here is the back story. '98 Jetta Tdi with 378k. Leaking IP head seal and takes 15 seconds of cranking to start after sitting overnight. Cranks instantly when doing a restart and runs perfect after that. Good power and throttle response. Replaced head pump seal with Dieselgeek kit. Previously a few years ago already did the QA and top plate seal.

Cranking time did NOT change but cured the leak after the reseal. Next 500 miles and one month nothing changed. Then over the last week crank times after sitting are getting longer and longer like 60-180 seconds. Now sitting around 8 hours takes several minutes to crank for start. A few days later no amount of cranking will produce a start. Pulled all glow plugs and checked they are working. Installed new fuel filter as it was time anyway. Cracked injection lines to verify fuel to injectors. Verified the fuel stop solenoid working and not sticking.

No leaks of any fuel in any part of the fuel system. No computer codes.

I am stumped....any thoughts on this?

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Did you do the stretch the seal over the pump head method? Are we sure the seal wasn't damaged?

Seals on the filter tee are ok?

Dieselworld

Veteran Member
Yes I followed the DG instructions and did the stretch method. I double checked the seal with a mirror several times and it looked perfect. Also it does not leak a drop anywhere on the IP. The filter tee seemed fine but may replace the o ring just to try.

Last edited:

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
When was the last time you changed your fuel filter?

As for the fuel filter thermo T o-ring, that comes with the filter and not with the T although a cracked T will allow air into the fuel line.

Did you have any visible bubbles in the clear fuel line?

Based on what you have said so far that's the direction I would go.

Steve

dieseltruck

TDI
96,97 Passat sedans
Sounds like a small air leak on the suction side. Would check the fuel line going all the way back to the tank.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Yes the fuel filter was just changed. No bubbles in the line.
Ok, so you just changed the filter and you primed with a vacuum pump on the return line side of the IP?

Did you pre-fill the filter before installing?

Steve

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Have you ever tried vacuum priming the pump, after it’s been sitting for a long time? I’m curious if it starts fine.

This would pinpoint a leak in the system.

-Todd

jackfolstam

Veteran Member
TDI
MkI Rabbit ALH swap
Do you have a vag com cable?
Compression or leak down test?
Maybe fuel isn't even coming out of the injectors?

This.

Sounds like a walking crank sprocket, which would get worse as time goes on.

What happens here? The belt is jumping teeth on the sprocket or the sprocket is loose on the crank? Would that slowly make it harder and harder to start, especially when cold?

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
The crank sprocket is moving on the crank. It causes the car to be out of time and will result in a no-start when cold but not when hot (unless it gets real bad) since the computer will compensate for timing due to temperature.

Checking the static timing will reveal whether this is the problem, just make sure everything lines up.

Dieselworld

Veteran Member
So I just checked my timing and its dead perfect. Everything lines up, so it cant be the sprocket walking on the crank. Took the valve cover off to look at the cam and it looks new. Nothing weird about that area.

When cranking and I loosen the injector nuts fuel comes out just as it should.

I am at a loss.....Keep the suggestions coming. 100 heads are better than one.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Pull the 109 relay out, check the confections on the relay and the socket. they may be worn down or corroded. this was an issue i had once.
Check valve at the tank, replace it.
Make sure your round harness at the head is grounded properly.
Make sure ALL your grounds are healthy.
if that fails to solve this, your looking at a possible issue with the nozzles?

dieseltruck

TDI
96,97 Passat sedans
You mentioned checking the fuel solenoid but have you tried jumping 12 volts directly to it? May be an intermittent thing possibly related to the 109 relay.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Where are the bolts on the fuel pump?
That's another one that can walk and screw up timing.

I'm guessing you checked out the flywheel timing mark to confirm the timing hadn't changed.

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk

garciapiano

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI (1Z)
I had a crank no start condition on my Jetta and it was a bad relay 109. It’s possible that a faulty ignition switch is to blame as well.

Chris_TDI_98

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI 1.9L mk3 1Z AHU
I had a crank no start condition on my Jetta and it was a bad relay 109. It’s possible that a faulty ignition switch is to blame as well.
Same exact reason for crank no start on my A3 jetta tdi.
1. Bad relay 109 (power supply to engine computer!!) with engine computer off it won’t start, and,
2. bad ignition switch (temp ghetto bypass with windshield washer spray lever switch triggering starter solenoid signal).

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Did you check the engine speed sensor pins 1&2 should have a 1000 ohm to 1500 ohm reading if it's good.

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk

Chris_TDI_98

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI 1.9L mk3 1Z AHU
If possible can you ask a nearby vcds owner to come by (unless you already have vcds cable) and see if vcds can tell you anything that regular obd2 doesn’t.
Because the engine computer MUST detect the engine is failing to start and have a good idea as to the reason why (injection pump or quantity or whatever) and put that reason in a vcds code.

Last edited:

Dieselworld

Veteran Member
Updated video as of today 10/6/18 still no start

Ok so still no start. Lots of good suggestions you guys have given.

I made a video of exactly the issue with everything I have done up to this point today and hopefully one of my bothers on here can figure it out.

Its wearing me down.:(

https://youtu.be/2DMKNURpvMg

Dieselworld

Veteran Member
If possible can you ask a nearby vcds owner to come by (unless you already have vcds cable) and see if vcds can tell you anything that regular obd2 doesn’t.
Because the engine computer MUST detect the engine is failing to start and have a good idea as to the reason why (injection pump or quantity or whatever) and put that reason in a vcds code.

I will hook up my vag com again on your suggestion and take a look.