New Castrol Synthetic: Is it Available?

AutoDiesel

Veteran Member
The Elixion?
I checked a couple of months ago and the local distributor said it would be available about March or April.
Well it's March so maybe I should call, eh?
But....
In another thread the price for someone else was quoted at about$28/gal! A bit pricy.

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
I suggest the Series 3000, 5w-30 instead, since it has been on the market since 1996 and is well proven in the TDI.

The castrol elixion, 5w-30 is available in cases of 6 gallons from Castrol jobbers. Quotes price was $166.40 for a case ....

TooSlick

Davin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS 5spd blk/blk
I emailed Castrol about whether or not Elixion is available yet, and if so where it was available in the Atlanta area. Here's the response I got:

<font color="purple">
Davin,

Thank you for your inquiry. We have (2) Distributors that sell the Elixion.

They are:

Burkett Oil
Norcross, GA
770 447 8030

Colonial Oil
Savanah, GA
800 944 3835

If you need additional information, please do not hesitate to call.

Cindy Staley
Customer Service Representative
Castrol Heavy Duty Lubricants Inc.
9300 Pulaski Highway
Baltimore, Maryland 21220
800-888-4448
800-388-9474 (FAX)
</font>

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
5-speed, 2015 Golf S 6-speed manual; 2015 Golf Sportwagen SEL 6-speed manual
Apparently it is available now. But that $168/case price seems totally nuts, considering Delvac-1 is equally good, maybe better, and a lot cheaper.

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I spoke with a guy named Gary at Dennison Lubricants in Lakeville, MA, which Castrol referred me to as a place to get the new oil. He said it hasn't come in yet, but will soon. He also told me Castrol Syntec was synthetic and that Delvac-1 is made from fossil-based base stocks. True? There seems to be a difference in how Mobil and Castrol define "synthetic."

Can anyone who understands the specs for Castrol Elixion and Mobil Delvac-1 comment as to which seems better? Or are they about equal?

TEXAS_TDI

BANNED
That guys an idiot. Castrol "synthetic" is Group 3 oil. The basestocks are hydrocracked dino oils. Delvac-1 and Amsoil are Group 4 oils. The basestocks are 100% synthetic.

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Is this also true for the new Castrol product? I thought it was a Group 4.

That guys an idiot. Castrol "synthetic" is Group 3 oil. The basestocks are hydrocracked dino oils. Delvac-1 and Amsoil are Group 4 oils. The basestocks are 100% synthetic.

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
Mass Wine Guy,

The Elixion is a PAO/Ester, you can tell by looking at the physical properties, specifically the Noack Volatility of 8.5%. If this was a Group III basestock that figure would be more like 11%-12%. The combination of pour point and flash point also give it away. Finally, I don't think you'd want to make a 5w-30 HD diesel oil using Group III stocks. It would probably not be shear stable enough.

For cold weather climates I'd probably give the edge to the Elixion over Delvac 1. However, that is based strictly on a comparison of the specs, not any hard data. Delvac 1 has proven to work very well in the TDI, so it will be interesting to see how the Elixion compares to D1 and the Series 3000, 5w-30.