CR140 Stage 3

JettaCR140

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI, 2004 Golf BEW TDI, 2010 Jetta CR TDI (buyback)
I've been keeping an eye out for a cr170 turbo for my tdi for a while now, and am a bit confused. I've come across several turbos with the part number "03L253016G" from a tdi's made before 2009. For example, there's one from a 2007 golf Tdi in the uk engine code CBB. I know we didn't get the cr tdis in the US until 2009 but were they produced earlier in the UK or is this a completely different setup?

ibexlatham

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Jetta TDI 6spd - dead
Yes they were introduced earlier in the EU than in the US. The engine code CBB (really its a CBBB, but the UK sellers drop off the last digit for some reason) is one of the the correct common rail 170hp/125kw engine choices to get a CR170 turbo from.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Some call the 03L 253 019 M a 03L253016G, as far as I can tell, it only has a different outlet adapter - the 2009 TDI's had the same outlet adapter - metal instead of plastic.

eddjmemg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta
^^^^2nd I've seen on here so far get taken out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eddjmemg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta
?hmmmmm

We'll hurry up n get the next thing going durable and of course with a lot of power. I'm waiting to see others find something worth while so I can do it too. Yea call me a copy cat.

I was thinking of one of darkside's kits for my TDI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Schumey

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 T5 2.0 TDI CAAC
As my egt probe and vacuum actuator are broken, I think about getting an used CBBB Turbo.
Can anybody confirm that the EGT probe from the CR170 works with a CR140 ECU?

MIVWTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
12 JSW DSG (RIP), 15 GSW
Wagner has an intercooler specific for the TDI. It is a direct bolt on including hoses. I don't know if the TDI's need such a large and costly IC. It flows more then the APR though. I don't really think this would bring down the EGT's? If it would it might worth it?

These comparisons were done with the 2.0TFSI & the S3. This should give us a baseline.

Last edited:

AudiTTim

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI Malone II
Maybe I missed this in the thread earlier, but what is the install for this turbo like? I am stage 2 with a rawtek dp... would I need to get the old turbo out from under the car? What all needs to be removed before pulling it?

Paulinski

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta Wagon Highline
My car is getting CR170 in early June.

My mechanic quoted me 8hr to swap the turbo / install HP EGR delete race pipe and tune to Stage 3.

bloc

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
These comparisons were done with the 2.0TFSI & the S3. This should give us a baseline. I think are rpm's are too low to see that much of temperature difference.

How much air was flowing over the core for this test? Something like sitting on a dyno with a big fan? or a roll on starting at 60? Ambient temp? And I assume this is the stock tfsi IC, not the S3? or are those the same?

MIVWTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
12 JSW DSG (RIP), 15 GSW
On the top of the chart it says it's a stock 2.0TFSI compared to a Wagner. The first chart reads S3 2.0 it's confusing.

The test was done on a http://www.superflow.com/Flowbenches/sf1020.php.

The S3 flows much better then the stock TDI IC.

With a S3 you realize immediate quicker spool and better acceleration.

If I could get my hands on one I would like to try in it on the highway and dyno. I have a good baseline on the S3 with the Stage III.

Last edited:

bloc

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
I should have been more specific. How much air was flowing over the outside of the core to carry heat away?

In years of messing with turbocharged cars, in general my observation has been that stock cores tend to do a better job of transferring heat to the air passing over the core, and aftermarket ones do a better job of acting as heat sinks. This is a huge generality, but another way of saying it is aftermarket ones better resist heating up from a single pull at high boost/rpm, and stock ones may heat up a little more from a single pull, but do a better job once air is flowing through the outside of the core. Obviously this depends on a TON of variables.. construction (bar & plate vs tube & fin), airflow available to the core, temp delta between comp outlet and ambient air, size of core, etc etc etc.. but my point is without knowing how much and what temp air is flowing through the OUTSIDE of the core to cool it when they put those cores on a flow bench, the test doesn't mean anything to someone that drives a car anywhere but on a flow bench. Ie, down the road.

MIVWTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
12 JSW DSG (RIP), 15 GSW
I agree. It's similar as to looking at dyno numbers, they don't mean much compared to real life highway driving.

Wagner has been around for a while. They are out of Germany and make intercoolers for Porsche, BMW, Benz & now into VW.

As I stated before I would like to try one in my own vehicle to make any conclusions about them.

Kevinski4

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
If any of you are running a CR170 turbo on a car without an ESP switch, get the parts and wire one in ASAP. The difference between ESP on and off is huge. Feels like 40 ftlbs huge. I did a CR170 swap this week and wasn't overly impressed with it until we disabled the ESP and then it turned into a monster!

AudiTTim

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI Malone II
Is ESP the same as TCS?
It is different. I changed my long coding around to where I can hold down the TC button and it will turn stabilization off after TC. This can be done with vag com. Simply go to the APR website and paste your long code in, hit generate, and the paste and save your long code into your car... here is the link:

http://www.goapr.com/support/esp-defeat.html

:cool:

Paulinski

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta Wagon Highline
I have ESP switch on my 09...When disabled it has the annoying flashing ESP on dash.

I wonder if there is a way to get rid of blinking ESP light...

AudiTTim

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI Malone II
Yeah I had the same thing on my 09... not sure if the APR website will work for you or not. Could always try it and if it doesnt just load your factory long code back in.

Kevinski4

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Is ESP the same as TCS?
Sorry, should have said TC. The switch says ESP on it, but like stated above, it only disables TC. Or more likely TC is still on, but at a reduced level. Either way it makes a big difference on the butt-dyno. :D I haven't messed with the ESP long coding at all.