PT Cruiser

oldcarguy

TDI
2004 jetta
I understand the PT cruiser is/was available in europe with a diesel. Does anyone know anything about them?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yeah, the PT is slated to be axed shortly. It did NOT get an update like the other FWD cars did. It soldiers on using the modified old Stratus/Breeze/Cirrus platform.

oilhammer

TDI
oldcarguy said:
Consumers Report is recommending PT Cruiser as a "buy". I can't believe it because its not Japanese.
Well, they may also be considering more than just that almighty first-year reliability data. Chrysler's new "Limited Lifetime Powertrain Warranty" for one, and two the undeniable utility of the PT's basic layout*, which has since been copied in both layout AND styling by the Chevrolet HHR. However GM one-upped them now with the HHR Panel.

Styling aside, the utility of such a vehicle has found places in many parts of the world. I think they are pretty nifty in that respect, but the retro "I wanna be a hot rod" styling completely turns me off. So much so that I could never get past the goofy looks to embrace the underlying usefulness of the basic platform...in particular a Panel version.

*excluding the godawful ugly PT 'vert :rolleyes:

MR42HH

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 530d
drwho said:
I am not sure if this would still be true today with the Mercedes engines since Chrysler is putting VW TDI motors in their diesel exports such as the Nitro, Avenger, Sebring.
The Nitro has a VM diesel, not a VW.
drwho said:
However on the large car (the 300C), it is exported with the Mercedes 6 cylinder diesel.
It's not exported, it's made in Austria by Magna - alongside Jeeps, minivans and the BMW X3.

oilhammer

TDI
MR42HH said:
The Nitro has a VM diesel, not a VW.

It's not exported, it's made in Austria by Magna - alongside Jeeps, minivans and the BMW X3.
They also build some here for export with diesel engines. Well, by "here" I mean US/Canada/Mexico. There is a Chrysler plant I drive past every day that builds Rams and minivans. Once in a while you will see a transport full of RHD minivans, and sometimes you will also see minivans with a diesel tag on the rear.

They did the same for Explorers here too...plenty of diesel/stick shift versions built right here in our back yard and shipped elsewhere :rolleyes:

The Graz, Austria plant has been building minivans for [primarily] the European market for YEARS.

10then34

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta
btw. the famed chrysler unlimited warranty doesn't include any of the Diesel models in the US market.
I looked at a Grand Cherokee the other day, the warranty is something like 12months or 36k miles.

CoriolisSTORM

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM DSG
10then34 said:
btw. the famed chrysler unlimited warranty doesn't include any of the Diesel models in the US market.
I looked at a Grand Cherokee the other day, the warranty is something like 12months or 36k miles.
My gasser Caliber is 3 years 36k miles, bought it in February THEN they announce the warranty. :mad: