What did you do to your car today?

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 Variant white, 1996 Town & Country 3.8 LXI
Hmmm, I have my air filter on a 10K schedule, there is a LOT of dust where I reside .

You may not..., but 23K, that is a LOT!

Last edited:

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
bikeprof said:
Hmmm, I have my air filter on a 10K schedule, there is a LOT of dust where I reside .

You may not..., but 23K, that is a LOT!
I changed my air filter last week at 37k. It was pretty dirty, but isnt the factory interval 40k mile for the ALH?

painteater

TDI
2002 VW Jetta TDI
I tore off the stock skid plate...not on purpose....driving on a bumpy, gravel path. Now, I'm going to wire tie it back on for temporary use until I decide which metal skid plate I'm going to install. Which do you all recommend? The Panzer skid plate looks better than the Evolution skid plate.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Both of the plates are good, but I definately prefer the front mounting posts of the dieselgeek panzer plate.

oEo

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf TDi PD ::Indigo Blue::
david_594 said:
I changed my air filter last week at 37k. It was pretty dirty, but isnt the factory interval 40k mile for the ALH?
Yes it is... Mine was so black and nasty, there is no way I would have taken it to 40k. Filters are cheap, so I'm changing more frequently.

of course, there's always this option:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=197629

Last edited:

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
Replaced the coolant hose for the webasto that was leaking and swapped out the stock thermostat 189 degree thermostat for a 195 degree one.

I pulled the thermostat housing and very little coolant spilled. Was pretty excited untill I got the thermostat out only to have all the coolant behind it pour everywhere. :(

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
david_594 said:
Replaced the coolant hose for the webasto that was leaking and swapped out the stock thermostat 189 degree thermostat for a 195 degree one.

I pulled the thermostat housing and very little coolant spilled. Was pretty excited untill I got the thermostat out only to have all the coolant behind it pour everywhere. :(
Pros/cons of the 195 degree vs. 189 degree tstat?

Cabbie

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
Some road debris scratched knocked the paint off my driver side mirror, so I purchased some chrome mirror caps and put them on. Not bad looking! Did some shopping and found them direct from the manufacturer in Hong Kong for $14.99 for the pair. Registered mail added $20.00, but at $35.00 for the pair still a bargain. My Teddi now has some bling.

:D

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Pulled the inake off the Golf in preparation for swapping in the PD150 intake from IBW for next weekend's MIVE track day. Found many frayed and deteriorating vacuum hoses. Also reversed the bolts on the Shine rear bar so they won't strike the exhaust pipe. George and I will do the rest of the swap tomorrow or Monday after work.

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
Drove down to Newport Biodiesel and learned about commerical production of WVO based bioD. Filled up with 15 gallons and brought 30 gallongs home with me. Pretty low price too.

Engine Brite on the engine and CD2 engine detailer for that "eat off your engine shine."

Finally, the summer tires got cleaned up and mounted...onto the car you pigs...

Sorry Peter, I was running to far behind to make a Duxbury stop.

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG, 2001 Golf TDI, Audi S6, A8, Toureg
Did oil change & change gear oil with Lubro Molly 75W-90 synthetic, check air filter (needs to be replaced). Now car runs much better, shift very smooth and seems to roll better.

KID A TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI
Started on my list! :D

Went to see Mike in Newmarket and had a Defender skid plate installed. Ventectomy.

johnnloki

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Golf TDI
Washed it. Swapped in SilverStars. Re upped the pressure on the winters and stared blankly at the rims that I need to refinish before I get my summer rubber remounted. Lowered the suspension about a half inch. Fitted the MP3 player and GPS to the plastic piece above the double din (where a cupholder would go). Read about how to wire the stuff to a 12v that isn't powered when the car's off, but didn't do it today- I'll need to pull the radio to fit the power adapters into that space, and I've only got one radio remover tool (at least that's what I think it is- hahah). Stared blankly at my zerostart (but I pulled out the check valve... YEAH!). Stared blankly at my poly dogbone mount. Fixed the broken latch in my 60/40 split bench. Bought a new pass side fender liner (the liner was cracked when I bought it edit: by it, I mean the car, hence the replacement) and installed a vent. Realised afterwards that I probably should've painted the vent. Bought some lens polish, 4 cans of primer, one can of black paint for plastic, one can of high temp black for a joey mod, one can of truck bed liner for textured strips and grill, three cans of gunmetal for the rims, two cans of clearcoat. Searched high and low like a mofo for duplicolour 'adhesion promoter'. Still to cold out to paint, and I don't have a heater sized proper for the garage. Still need to get the winter out of my carpets--- tomorrow maybe?

Also edit: I need to change the exterior appearance of my 04- there's an identically coloured city golf literally 40 feet from where mine's parked. Same hubcaps and all, just no window tint, a different badge, and a little newer and shinier. Grrr....

Last edited:

gootie

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf,05,white TIP
A4 suspension upgrade

Well Thanks to JasonTDI I now have a VW that feels German.
My 05 Golf at 54K has Koni Reds (for Jetta wgn), 03 Jetta wgn springs
front and rear and 10mm spacers in front.
I had no idea how much unnecessary body movement was occurring with the
stock old suspension now that I have made my commute to work today(Fort
Atkinson). This setup approaches the firmness without harshness my
Bride's 06Jetta has.
My final concern was headlight aim but the tripinto workconfirms that
no adjustment is needed.
Gootie

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
gootie, Jason mentioned your putting wagon springs in the Golf. I'd love to see a picture. And I bet the suspension geometry loves the additional ride height. Reds really soak up bad pavement, don't they?

Ben1000

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Baltic Green 5spd
Installed sexy new rims...

.. actually old rim + Harbor freight tool make for a great hub puller.

Friday: Changed DS wheel bearing only to find it was a bad inner CV joint making the noise.

Saturday AM: Used a strange 2-wheeled non-TDI conveyance to transport the new axle across town.

Saturday PM: Enjoyed what my roomate now calls the "baltic green cloud"

Today: DieselPurge + Wash/wax/detail :D

Last edited:

MethylEster

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1999.5. Red, 5 Spd
Cleaned my intake. It was coked up to where only a one inch diameter opening was left. :eek:

Replaced all the vacuum hoses.

And finally put my summer rims and tires back on.

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
MethylEster said:
Cleaned my intake. It was coked up to where only a one inch diameter opening was left. :eek:
Did you learn the procedure through reading the How To's on the board in 101?

Man if that was your first attempt at cleaning an intake and you were successful [which sounds as if you were] bravo.

So... how was the power once cleaned?

BrianCT

GPS Tech

TDI
1998 Jetta
I got the oil changed, at the dealer. usually do it myself but I am feeling out the dealer since i am new in Huntsville,al. and they do a 110 point inspection. I am getting near 175k so .... I need to get a timing belt and am looking for the good stuff, but cannot find it. can somebody point me to wear i can get the extended life belt. I just changed the air filter too.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Put a stock intake manifold on IBW, temporarily, so I can use the PD150 intake on the Golf. I was surprised at how different it is: quieter, more low end response, more smoke, higher EGTs. Just what you'd think. So now I can look forward to the reverse on the Golf, especially the lower EGTs.

REDNECKDZL

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, 2015 Jetta, 1984 Wabbit TD, 1986 RX7 waiting on AHU swap
Peter, did you swap just the intake on the motor or the intake pipe?

I put my summers back on, got really good traction again, but now i need to do the clutch

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
The Golf has a PD130 intake pipe and airbox setup just like the wagon, so I just swapped the manifold.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
IndigoBlueWagon said:
Put a stock intake manifold on IBW, temporarily, so I can use the PD150 intake on the Golf. I was surprised at how different it is: quieter, more low end response, more smoke, higher EGTs. Just what you'd think. So now I can look forward to the reverse on the Golf, especially the lower EGTs.
So the bigger manifold made it louder and and decreased low-end response?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Yes, and increased top end power and reduced EGTs and smoke. Bigger vessel, you gotta fill it up. So the bigger manifold fills up slower. Less low end torque in the Golf would be good: my clutch is feeling the strain.

DbLog

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 335d
Peter, hope your clutch hold out. Keep those rpm's high!!

Installed the GC camber plates and had the local dealer alternative press in some new wheel bearings. Turned out the hubs were shot too. Went to reinstall and noticed some movement in the LCA when tightening the 3 ball joint bolts. Luckly I ordered some TT bushings a while back from IBW. Gotta score some LCA front bushings and bolts quick. Alignments 10am on tuesday. Hope tonight isn't too cold.