CP3 fuel pump upgrade thread

YukonLT

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
Just finished the installation last weekend, so that makes me #10. Pretty straightforward install if you use the T10051 counter hold tool. The hardest part was getting the HP EGR valve out of the way.
Added to the list...congrats on the install!

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI [buyback completed 14/1/2017] 2006 S65 AMG
So Yukon, what sort of MPG improvements do you see now there's less parasitic drag from the CP3?

YukonLT

TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
So Yukon, what sort of MPG improvements do you see now there's less parasitic drag from the CP3?
I haven't been able to fully gauge that yet because I haven't been driving the car consistently in the same manner for long enough, but it's definitely improved.

YukonLT

TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
I lost 1-2mpg but thats probably associated with the hot stage III tune I'm running.
I had my tune upgraded at TDIFest, and ever since then my mileage has been even better. No idea how it's even possible because Mark upped the fueling in the tune, but the numbers don't lie. I'm not complaining though :D

Paulinski

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta Wagon Highline
Nice.

Mark updated my tune two weeks ago. Three revisions later and dozen logs Mark told my tuner that's as far as his comfortable pushing the turbo.

vwUMO

TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2003 JSW TDI 5MT ,2012 Jetta TDI 6MT, 2013 jetta TDI 6MT
Im running the same tune as you without the cp3 and same here. Economy went up. Im also not driving it to the limit either. The suspension meeds upgrading now!

gloaming

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf 6MT CR170 (Sold); 2004 R32 (not a TDI)
Not to get too far off track here, but is there an update to the stage 3 tune or are you guys referring to the stage 3.5?

Not sure how much further I'm willing to push my tune at the moment. I get light flywheel shutter at decent throttle in 6th gear. The shudder isn't too bad though, I just pass in 5th gear (which is more fun anyway). Honestly I only get shudder when I purposely try to get it to see if that's actually what's happening or if its road noise/tire noise.

vwUMO

TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
Not to get too far off track here, but is there an update to the stage 3 tune or are you guys referring to the stage 3.5?

Not sure how much further I'm willing to push my tune at the moment. I get light flywheel shutter at decent throttle in 6th gear. The shudder isn't too bad though, I just pass in 5th gear (which is more fun anyway). Honestly I only get shudder when I purposely try to get it to see if that's actually what's happening or if its road noise/tire noise.
Yukon and I are at 3.5++ or something like that. Its real smooth. I also notice light chatter/shudder in 6th if it gets bogged down but 5th is the remedy. Other than that its now scary fast for what it is. I ordered a real egt probe but i would suspect that as long as i am not towing a car hauler up mt washington And use common sense all will be ok. With the higher egts, i have thought about making a cookbook for stage 3 enginebay recipes :)

vwUMO

TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
So on the CP3 front. Now that we'll have all that fuel, who wants to work on a fun project to get a bigger turbo in place to take advantage of it?! :). I am thinking stock injectors are good for a longer pulse/quantity. Air becomes the next challenge (again)

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
So on the CP3 front. Now that we'll have all that fuel, who wants to work on a fun project to get a bigger turbo in place to take advantage of it?! :). I am thinking stock injectors are good for a longer pulse/quantity. Air becomes the next challenge (again)
Gtb2566vk may be a good place to start turbo wise. You'll NEED a LSD and also strengthen up the transmission if you have a manual. And obviously a clutch upgrade.

Much more info here from someone who did a 2260 snail on his:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=367577

Check out the tray build up he did here:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=4327528&postcount=133

Read from post 133 onwards for the tranny build up.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
The gtb2260 will provide as much (or more) air as an unported head and stock injectors can handle. I personally wouldn't want to lose any more low end and response than what the 2260 provides.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
The gtb2260 will provide as much (or more) air as an unported head and stock injectors can handle. I personally wouldn't want to lose any more low end and response than what the 2260 provides.
Good point on the low end torque. I'm guessing that's why hutchens went with the 2260.

schreibers

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI
Any of you CP3 guys noticing changes in MPG? I drive approximately 75% hwy (65-70mph) and 25% city. Granted i'd go slower but my life is worth something :)

Calculated MPG is usually 36-38mpg (550-565mi at fill up). We have taken some long road trips and at those times i've gotten 48-52mpg. I'm sure the fact my car is raised on Tiggy+Towing springs doesn't help things in that regard.

Anyway, i've put 2 full tanks in since my install (1700 miles on new pump) and averaged 44.x almost 45mpg. Driving style and route have stayed the same. Still hot and humid as hell here in the Sunshine state.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I don't keep track of my fuel mileage very carefully, but I think I've picked up a couple mpg's since my cp3 install. On short relaxed trips (in warm weather) I can hit 50 mpg pretty routinely with my stage 3 setup. That said, I really enjoy the extra power and average more like 42 mpg overall. I wasn't expecting any mpg increases with my cp3, so it's an added bonus!

YukonLT

TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
My MPG's have definitely gone up, and I'm loving that side effect! I'm stage III with an aggressive tune, and my mileage is the best it's ever been. Even with spirited driving each tank, I have been averaging 45mpg or better. Car is running beautifully :)

vwUMO

TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
My MPG's have definitely gone up, and I'm loving that side effect! I'm stage III with an aggressive tune, and my mileage is the best it's ever been. Even with spirited driving each tank, I have been averaging 45mpg or better. Car is running beautifully :)
Same here. Manually calc'd (and SGII) 56.6 mpg to Boston and back yesterday... That included a few moments of spirited driving :)

ticketed2much

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Just curious, for the CRs with the CP3, are you using 2micron's contain flow and pure flow, or is there no need to? Looks like a worthwhile upgrade.

camboscams

TDI
2014 JSW Stg 2 Malone, CP3 HPFP
Just curious, for the CRs with the CP3, are you using 2micron's contain flow and pure flow, or is there no need to? Looks like a worthwhile upgrade.
Nope, luckily the CP3 has such a proven track record it is unnecessary for any containment.
However, some of us have chosen to utilize a 2 micron "prefilter" to have a more thoroughly cleaned fuel entering the HPFP.

WalkingDrunken

Veteran Member
TDI
NONE
I helped install the CP3 on Schreibers and can confirm that the filter does not work as a contain flow. Andrew told us that it is not needed since the CP3 is so robust and there is no concern of failing like the oem pump has.

Just like camboscams mentioned the new filter is only a prefilter. Fuel goes into the OEM filter - to the 1 Micron Filter - to the CP3 Pump.

If you take a look back at the pictures, for testing Andrew did have it set up as a contain flow here (Posted 10/17/14)...http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=367804&page=8

But then on Yukon's install, one of the very first/Beta, you can see the hose routing does not have it as contain flow(Posted 07/16/15)... https://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=444018

Last edited:

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
Any word on if these are back in business again? I'd love to use my free money from VW to upgrade to cp3 :D
From what I heard, they're on hold until this dieselgate is sorted out. I'd hold off on any modification until we know what's happening to our cars.