B5 Passat TDI manual transmission swap

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Which Bosch ABS unit do you have? 5.3 or 5.7? They code differently.

Chrismak

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Pasatt TDI , 2008 Mercdes E-320 Bluetec, 1983 300D mercedes (Sold :-(
I spoke with Chris yesterday as he PM'ed me on a picture I have on this thread regarding pin placement on ECU.
I have since edited it or clarify.
Anyways he has an early 04 model that has the 5.3 ABS and I believe he figured out the coding.
He said he'll post when done on coding etc in case someone else comes up against this.

NoelMcC

TDI
2005 Tdi Wagon; 81 Vanagon Subaru conversion.
Hi Chrismac
Thanks for the pictures etc on cruise control wiring ,ive looked all over this site and am still a little unclear what to do.I had my controler done by Malone from an auto to a 5 speed standard stage one.After that my cruise stopped working and Im not a 100 % clear on the redoing of the wiring.Could you please send me a schematic or show me where grounds need to go etc as its still quiet confusing to me. Ps Im a Porsche trained Teck and feel quiet confused, lack of info.
Thanks
Noel

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
It's pretty easy. I'll see if I can find the thread with the pictures. You can use the vag-com to check for the operation of the switches, if they all check out, the problem might be tune. You can also check what your speedo is showing and what vag-com shows. If it's off more than 10% the cruise control won't engage.

wildricemc

TDI
2005 Passat, 2015 Passat, 2002 Jetta
My B5.5 Passat 5-Speed Manual Swap Experience

Hello fellow TDI owners,
I just did my 2004 Passat automatic to 5-speed gear box swap. This Forum and thread have saved me many times over. I followed the wiring details outlined by Chrismak et al. and after getting her back on the road it shifted better than ever (no over revs with clutch engagement). Tips on the VCDS coding for the ABS and Gateway were instrumental.

This is the way this car should have been sold from the factory. I noticed the vibration I had from the Balance Shaft Delete at idle (stoplights) is essentially gone.

The final detail that is keeping from the inspection station here in NJ is the ECU tune (testing agents don’t like the “engine light” illuminated). I know others have given shout outs to other tuners for the ECU programming (Malone, TDTuning, etc.), but I would like to give special mention to the folks at Dub Creations (https://www.facebook.com/Dub-Creations-121664507890786/) in New York. If you are located anywhere in the area, look them up as they know their Dubs.

6ixxer

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta Tdi

Reviving this thread!! I have a 2005 passat that I had a manual swap out in but the reverse lights don't work. I see the 5pin connecter hanging down that is in the picture. The tranny has a connector already in the reverse light plug. Not sure if I am supposed to run wires from the plug on the tranny to the 2 pins on the 5 pin connecter??

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Pull the pins (with a tool) from the AUTO transmission reverse plug and insert them into the pug that fits your transmission. This way it will be a OE looking and durable.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
The 3 pin plug is for your speed sensor. Plug it in to the sensor below your hands.
The 5 pin goes to the reverse switch on to pry of picture. I always test the reverse switch before installing the gearbox as I have found some are bad. Easy to swap when sitting on the floor. Put the gearbox in reverse and check continuity between the 2 pins on the plug attached to the gearbox.

Tom W.

Veteran Member
TDI
mash-up GettaTDI150, 1986 Jetta Delux D, 2005 Passat TDI sedan
Looking at a v6 manual swap- anyone ever do a gear change on the v6 to bring the gearing in line with the TDI engine?

Tom W.

Veteran Member
TDI
mash-up GettaTDI150, 1986 Jetta Delux D, 2005 Passat TDI sedan
I built a transmission out of a EZG 1.8T case, 1st and 2nd gears and the 3.7 final drive. I used a V6 3rd and 4th and a TDI 0.68 5th. It works fine. 5th is a bit of a jump from 4th, other than that it has been great. Car gets excellent fuel economy and is great for towing with the lower overall and the extra low 1st and 2nd. It is very easy to launch.

Thanks for the reply- Sounds Like I need to price a trans from Europe!

ejimcruz

TDI
2004 Passat TDI
2004 Passat TDI Conversion to Manual

I been reading for possible manual transmissions for my Passat 2004 TDI.
My GMR is dead at 168K.. I know type FHN will work.. But no stock in US.. So far.. I located a possible 5 speed manual on Passat V6.. But it is not a FHN..

Based on postings it should fit.. But since I never done a swap.. Could you guys please advise..? I found a 1.8 manual trany but based on posting is not a good idea. The V6 is available and within the budget..

Please advise..

Last edited:

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
The challenge is that the gearing is better suited for the gas engine, and your TDI will rev higher than optimal going down the road.

That said, the V6 gas transmission is geared the tallest of the gasser trannies, and priced right because they rarely break or need replacement.

If you can live with a few 100 extra RPM at highway speeds...

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Try DHL, I saw a few on car-part a few years ago. Very unlikely you'll find a euro trans in the US. Order from Fran's or ryanp.

Frans

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Golf MK2 TDI
We have the EEN tdi gearbox available. $475 shipped to the US.

TdiBoyNZ

TDI
2002 Passat estate. Avf 130PD
I have just done a manual swap on my Passat here in nz, mine is avf 1.9,
I am having some teething issues. Do I need to wire in the clutch switch for the rev hanging/ telling the ecu the clutch is Engaged? I have just had my ecu programmed to manual( beng an avf) but now the car doesn’t run smooth and revs drop very sudden when changing gears, so my main question is will that help my problem? And what do I need to do?

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
The clutch switch is not used for ECU mapping, just cruise. If your revs are dropping too fast between shifts, I would suspect there is another cause.

If the AVF is similar to the BHW, there are two clutch switches - one at the bottom of travel to allow the starter to engage, and at the top of travel to disengage cruise when pressed to shift.

MEgearhead

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5, 4L, 4G
From VW self study program 841303 1.9-Liter TDI Engine with Pump Injection (Pumpe Düse) Design and Function:

"Clutch Vacuum Vent Valve Switch F36
The Clutch Vacuum Vent Valve Switch F36 is located at the foot controls on vehicles with manual transmissions.

Signal application
The Diesel Direct Fuel Injection Engine Control Module J248 determines from this signal whether the clutch is engaged or disengaged. When the clutch is engaged, injection quantity is reduced briefly to prevent engine shudder when shifting gears.

Effects of signal failure
If the signal from the Clutch Vacuum Vent Valve Switch F36 fails, engine shudder can occur when shifting gears."

The wiring diagram for a 2005 3B3 Passat with AVF shows the F36 clutch switch wired to J248 Diesel direct injection system control unit connector T121 cavity 66 with a 0.35 red/green through T15a cavity 13.

The wiring diagram for a 05 3B3 with BHW does not have a F36 obviously since no manuals we're offered.

The BGW is wired similarly to the AVF except the ECU connector is T94 and it's cavity 43.

You likely need input from folks with AVF experience.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Ahhh... So the ECU does use it to determine if the clutch is pressed other then cruise.

I stand corrected.

TdiBoyNZ

TDI
2002 Passat estate. Avf 130PD
From VW self study program 841303 1.9-Liter TDI Engine with Pump Injection (Pumpe Düse) Design and Function:

"Clutch Vacuum Vent Valve Switch F36
The Clutch Vacuum Vent Valve Switch F36 is located at the foot controls on vehicles with manual transmissions.

Signal application
The Diesel Direct Fuel Injection Engine Control Module J248 determines from this signal whether the clutch is engaged or disengaged. When the clutch is engaged, injection quantity is reduced briefly to prevent engine shudder when shifting gears.

Effects of signal failure
If the signal from the Clutch Vacuum Vent Valve Switch F36 fails, engine shudder can occur when shifting gears."

The wiring diagram for a 2005 3B3 Passat with AVF shows the F36 clutch switch wired to J248 Diesel direct injection system control unit connector T121 cavity 66 with a 0.35 red/green through T15a cavity 13.

The wiring diagram for a 05 3B3 with BHW does not have a F36 obviously since no manuals we're offered.

The BGW is wired similarly to the AVF except the ECU connector is T94 and it's cavity 43.

You likely need input from folks with AVF experience.

Could I get more information on this somehow? I am having an issue of my injection quantity’s being to high since coding to manual now and causing a missfire. It’s not the loom and it only started after coding it to manual.
Im almost finished but this is making me so sad cause the car keeps going grey then it plays up, it’s okay when driven gently( under 2000 rpm) but when changing a tighter rpm it’s still not good.

MEgearhead

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5, 4L, 4G
We don't have the F36 on our North American BHWs, so I can't offer much more help than what the SSP and wiring diagrams show. Do you have a F36 switch?

dieselbeavis

TDI
2001 golf tdi;2005 VW Passat TDI
Hey all, I did a 2005 passat manual trans swap with the FHN/valeo clutch kit from Frans. Aside from the clutch slipping after 25k miles(1.5 tune) and the synchros shredding on the trans it was a complete success :).

So I now have another trans and a updated clutch disk to install but one thing has been bugging me.
When I installed the first trans, the trans/motor had about a 0.25" gap before pulling it in tight with the bolts, it felt like the throwout bearing was riding on the clutch spring. It's been a long time since I installed a manual trans on any vehicle. The clutch worked fine until it started slipping and .

Is that normal? looking at the diagrams for the FHN trans I see that VW has a 5.7mm spacer between the trans/AWX engine which I think is the european 1.9l version equivalent to the BHW

see below
http://www.realoem.me/Audi/CA/A4/2005/249/R/1/103/103020

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
With the 012 gearbox and 228mm clutch, there is no need for a 5.5mm space. The spacer is required when you have a 240mm DMF clutch. White Whitebreads 240mm SMF clutch does not need the spacer either.

You should not have to pull the gearbox in the last 1/4". You should be able to push it all the way up to the engine, unless you had the slave cylinder hooked up and already bled.

Did you install the bearing in the end of the crank?

dieselbeavis

TDI
2001 golf tdi;2005 VW Passat TDI
yeah the pilot bearing is in there. maybe the throw out bearing was slightly misaligned on the fingers. I'll check the slave too, don't remember what position it was but I would figure it would just push in like a brake piston. thanks