Stop fueling with Propel HPR Diesel

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Don't be a jerk and post like your not.

This person is learning the hard way about how VW treats ANY fuel use other than D2 or D2 with 5% or less.

Looking forward to Propel picking up the repair bill. They will point to the HPFP issues and VW will point to the fuel and the customer is screwed in the process....
LOL! As a B100 user for years. We have learned that VW screws user of ANY alternative fuel.

This person is fully entitled to post a warning based on HIS experience. He does not need to prove to YOUR satisfaction, that he is facing this issue.

All of us have at one point been told by VW service that running Biodiesel is not covered. I have personally experienced that when getting service for a NON fuel related issue.

Stop attacking the guy... I say you need to PROVE your counter argument that he did not actually experience this!

Oh and Mark since you only joined in 2015, I question your credibility. Some of us have been here a long time and using B100 since 2000, so we know what we are talking about.

:D Tom, you DO realize that you replied to posts from 2015, don't you? Talk about being a day late and a dollar short!

Last edited:

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5 spd TDi, 2003 Jetta GLS Indigo blue 5spd wagon. 2003 Jetta GLS Candy white wagon 5 speed
i use HPR in my 03 TDI and my '06 Mercedes E320 CDI. Mix 1oz per gallon 2 stroke oil and both cars run smoother and quieter. Awesome stuff. Would never go back to #2 Diesel.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
i use HPR in my 03 TDI and my '06 Mercedes E320 CDI. Mix 1oz per gallon 2 stroke oil and both cars run smoother and quieter. Awesome stuff. Would never go back to #2 Diesel.
:confused: Why contaminate it with 2 stroke oil?

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Ash-less or TC-W3 two stroke oil, correct?

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5 spd TDi, 2003 Jetta GLS Indigo blue 5spd wagon. 2003 Jetta GLS Candy white wagon 5 speed
yes I know this is from 2017 but I didnt want to leave it hanging.. Yes ash less TCW3 . Still using HPR.. its good stuff.

JD_2012GolfTDI

TDI
2012 Golf Kerma tuned
This is an old post, but comes up in google searches for propel and TDI engines. Too much of the post is concentrated on the D2 designation.

Propel Diesel HPR does meet ASTM D975, and as I've come to find out, does NOT contain biodiesel. My original concern regarding the below letter and biodiesel content in Propel HPR was unfounded.
https://www.biodiesel.org/docs/defa...iesel-customer-letter-il-02-2013.pdf?sfvrsn=0

The 76 station I use that has a Propel HPR pump didn't have the sticker indicating that it contains no biodiesel. Here's an article regarding the differences between Biomass-Based Diesel vs. Biodiesel that help clear things up for me. https://www.betalabservices.com/biofuels/biomass-based-diesel.html

Thanks for the insight Lightflyer.

Last edited:

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Good, that means there will be more for the rest of us! And since you are a noob, you'll eventually learn many TDIs run just fine on 100% BD.

Edit. Oh, don't forget to use ONLY VW 505.01 motor oil and to let only VW dealers maintain your TDI.

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I think you are totally mistaken here. Propel Diesel HPR is not biodiesel and doesn't contain any. It is made from the same kinds of things but in a different process. This fuel is not what VW is talking about in that letter. Here is a quote from Propel's web page:

"Propel Diesel HPR is not biodiesel, however, it is manufactured from similar renewable biomass sources including recycled fats and oils. Refined from renewable biomass through advanced hydrotreating technology, Propel Diesel HPR meets the toughest specifications required by automotive and engine manufacturers. This allows Diesel HPR to be used by any diesel vehicle."

Don't use it if you want, but it suffers from none of the issues standard biodiesel does in these engines. It is only the later engines that have an issue with regular bio anyway. 2006 and earlier not so much.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Lightflyer, his mind is made up so let's not confuse him with the actual facts!

ElChikilin310

TDI
1998 Jetta TDI AHU
Diesel HPR

I used Diesel HPR many times on my AHU powered MK3 Jetta TDI and I get excellent results like way better fuel economy and acceleration and none of those TDI problems people deal with their newer TDI !!!:p

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Too bad Propel won't expand out of the few areas in Central & Southern California they are at now. I used to go to Sacramento a few times a week so was able to refuel at a Propel pump. It is ridiculous to make that 150 mile round trip now just for fuel. They need to come to Yuba City/Marysville, Chico, Oroville, Red Bluff, and Redding in Northern California.

CheapBastard

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW
Do you guys think HPR can be easier on the DPFs. I’ve run it almost exclusively for 4K miles and didn’t see many regens, then I ran a couple of tanks of BP through it and had 3 cycles within the 2 fill ups.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I wouldn't know as I don't have a DPF! Have you gone to the Propel website and read what they say the benefits of DieselHPR are regarding particulates?

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
It's worth noting that Cummins has performed extensive testing on renewable diesel. They found no ill effects to the DPF compared to ULSD and approved it for all their engines(including CP4 equipped engines).

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
Do you guys think HPR can be easier on the DPFs. I’ve run it almost exclusively for 4K miles and didn’t see many regens, then I ran a couple of tanks of BP through it and had 3 cycles within the 2 fill ups.
It absolutely is. See Romad's mention of how much less soot is formed using HPR. Less soot production means it takes longer for the DPF's carbon build up to reach the trigger point of starting a regen. The computer being able to monitor DPF backpressure via a differential pressure sensor to help it calculate what the soot loading is.

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
So with a rocketchip 2 tune and egr delete (on my 2001 jetta)..using hpr..I won't get the "soot plume " when I floor it anymore??:eek:..I'll stick with D2:D LOL!

JD_2012GolfTDI

TDI
2012 Golf Kerma tuned
I discovered that select 76 stations in CA are also offering their version of renewable diesel. I didn't see a spec sheet for the fuel, but the claimed cetane rating is 70+. There's also savings for paying with mobile and and even more with their card.

https://www.76.com/renewable-diesel

tdi54

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Diesel(sold), 2009 Jetta TDI MT(sold)2010 Jetta TDI MT, 2015 Jetta TDI SEL, DSG, 99 Ford F 350 PSD Dually, 2016 BMW X5 xDrive35d, 2016 535d
I have used HPR fuel on my 2010 TDI for a while and did not find any issues with it.
My car still has the original HPFP with 237K on it.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I discovered that select 76 stations in CA are also offering their version of renewable diesel. I didn't see a spec sheet for the fuel, but the claimed cetane rating is 70+. There's also savings for paying with mobile and and even more with their card.

https://www.76.com/renewable-diesel

They are probably using NEXDIESEL from Golden Gate Petroleum in the Bay Area.

JD_2012GolfTDI

TDI
2012 Golf Kerma tuned
Might be 76's parent company Phillips 66 partnership with Ryze Renewables?
https://investor.phillips66.com/fin...ble-diesel-fuel-plants-in-Nevada/default.aspx

It's nice to have options in either case.

Renewable diesel is supposed to meet standards for aromatic, sulfur, and lubricity, as well as ASTM International standard specification, ASTM D975-12a.6, but I still wonder if being R99 instead of Propel's 98% presents any lubricty issues?

"Knothe(2010) points out that blends involving more than 2% biodiesel restores lubricity."
Very informative read: https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/sites/defaul...able_Diesel_Multimedia_Evaluation_5-21-15.pdf

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
Isn't that just NexBTL from Neste Oil (Finland) anyway? I do know there is a large processing/refining facility that supplies most of North America in Singapore if I'm not mistaken. I would not be the least bit surprised if GGP, 76 and Propel are all getting the stuff from the same facility that's tied to Neste Oil (who created the process in the first place).

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Matt, I just emailed both Propel and GGP asking what their source was. Hopefully they will reply. Since the fuel has to meet CARB Diesel standards, it would not surprise me if there is only one plant making the fuel. After all it is not like they are everywhere in California much less outside the state. It looks like Propel & 76 are going to be competitors in the same regions of California, while GGP is concentrating on fleet sales here in California.