Need downpipe -- Which should I get?

loukytdi

TDI
1979 Rabbit Diesel, 1982 Caddy Diesel, 1997 Passat ALH TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta ALH TDI Wagon, 2012 Audi A3, Black, Titanium Package, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI, 2013 Audi A3 8P (all sold), 2015 Golf SE 6M TDI
Hey folks--appealing to the gathered wisdom here--I have a new (to me) 2003 Jetta ALH TDI wagon. It needs a new downpipe. The car is basically stock at this point, and I'm looking to replace/upgrade things as needed for performance/economy. Any suggestions?

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
I picked up a buzzken straightpipe, also 2.5". Because of shipping and customer service worsening from the time I bought a downpipe for my CR TDI, I'd probably go with rawtek in the future. But either of those would do the trick for you.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
If your factory DP is rusted out or damaged at the flex joint maybe you can have it repaired locally.
Use a 304 or 18-8 (or several other alloys of) stainless and it will weld right in.
I was able to cut and re-use my stock cat, saving a few $. The factory size is about 2.25"
There is no reason to delete the cat on a stock engine unless it is plugged up.

vwdsmguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf black 5-spd
A4 downpipes

This is what not to get---a KB fabrication downpipe from ID Parts. I bought one and it is not made to fit my '02 Golf TDI. The problem is that the back of the pipe angles down about 10*, so to use it you need another flexpipe or cut an angle on the cat outlet pipe. For that money it should fit perfect.

Last edited:

loukytdi

TDI
1979 Rabbit Diesel, 1982 Caddy Diesel, 1997 Passat ALH TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta ALH TDI Wagon, 2012 Audi A3, Black, Titanium Package, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI, 2013 Audi A3 8P (all sold), 2015 Golf SE 6M TDI
Thanks, all. I'm going to try a local muffler shop for a repair. A local shop here in Louisville (which shall remain nameless) wanted 500 for the pipe (OEM factory) and another couple hundred for the install.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
The Buzzken currently on the Jetta fits perfectly.

While you're at it you can lose the muffler and replace it with a straight extension tube.
Get it past the bumper to reduce the droning.

Last edited:

sisyphus

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5, '01 A4 Jetta sedans, 5 sp box, Hamman mod, Joey mod, Bilsteins, 2.00" lift
Not sure if ID parts still has them, but I put a Bosal downpipe on my wife's '01. Fit fine. Also comes w/ a warranty card.

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
I bought two different downpipes and both had fitment issues. Also both had too short flex pipes. The stock flex is around 10in long. Any shorter and there will be vibration problems. After rebuilding the OEM downpipe with a new 10in stainless flex and stainless post cat pipe, no more vibration issues.

mathanz

TDI
2003 Wagon, auto, 127k miles
My 2003 wagon also has a broken flexpipe, but I've been hesitant to unhook the down pipe at the turbo because of fear of breaking the studs in the turbo. I have a new Bosal downpipe and CC sitting in my garage. Paid a little less than $300 for it I think.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
My 2003 wagon also has a broken flexpipe, but I've been hesitant to unhook the down pipe at the turbo because of fear of breaking the studs in the turbo. I have a new Bosal downpipe and CC sitting in my garage. Paid a little less than $300 for it I think.
Spray PB Blaster on the studs for a couple days and they should come off easier.
Hit the nuts with a punch or use a 6 point socket easily to help the PB soak in.
I did this with my glow plugs for a few days (twice, morning cold and night hot)
They all cane out very easy.

mathanz

TDI
2003 Wagon, auto, 127k miles
Thanks wonneber, good tip. Maybe the heat from the exhaust will help the penetrant work. I have a MAPP torch, but don't think I can get there with it. Hope this info helps the OP too.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Sell the wagon ASAP! It will bring you tons of grief. PM me so I can come and get it. J/K Good find there, I wish it was me. I have become a solid believer in P-Blaster although it did not allow me to separate a CHRA from it' s original home...