window tinting

James235

TDI
2015 golf tdi
So this is my first post here, did not seen any links mentioning it. I recently purchased a "new" 2015 golf tdi. My wife also owns a 2009 Honda fit and we are looking to get full tints on the back windows at least because the bigger SUVs and trucks blind us at night plus to save our interiors some. The question we have, is it safe to tint the back windows with the defroster, Neibor does tinting and swears that over time the defroster will mess up the tint and melt it to the glass. I call bs. Thanks. Guys :)

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
Yes, it's safe to tint over the defroster lines. You can still remove tint in the rear window, but it is a pita to do to avoid damaging the defroster lines (elements)

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Maybe your neighbor is using junk tint. I've removed good tint without issue. Steam is your friend, when it comes to removal.

-Todd

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
Totally safe to tint over the defroster. Makes it work a little better too. It doesn't get hot enough to melt anything other than frost either way, it certainly isn't going to melt plastic.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Just a suggestion, do not go too dark. You'll not be able to see out back at night. especially when backing up ! I know, I'd done that years ago and hated it.

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
I've had tint on two of my personal cars(still have it on the audi) and my parent's as well. no issues with the defroster.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I went to Trimline to get my tint job done on my Jetta. They are a nationwide corporation and they guarantee the tint install for life. The cost IIRC was around $265.

James235

TDI
2015 golf tdi
Found a local guy litterally like 4 doors down we live in a residential /business area he's specializes in tints and windows repair for auto he wants 160 for all 4 windows plus the hatch. At 32 percent tint and a lifetime warranty against bubbling, and fading.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
One other suggestion, it apparently is not recommended to do the sunroof as I had intended to do.
I was also going to do a 6" strip on the top of the windshield but that was way too expensive.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I am going to have the whole windshield done with the HO clear. Texas allows that and it will stop some of the heat coming in the windshield and on the dash.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
They are a nationwide corporation and they guarantee the tint install for life.

Does that mean just the labor is warranted?

One other suggestion, it apparently is not recommended to do the sunroof as I had intended to do.

Did they give a reason why? I was going to get mine done, but decided I'd just keep the shade closed and save a few bucks.

I had the windshields done in my cars, but realize if you have pits or scratches, the tint will make them stand out. Driving at night takes getting used to. The way the lights appear is a bit different.

I originally wanted to go light, but the shop convinced me to go darker.... 55%... too dark, in my opinion. This car was done with all glass intact.

The next car I did 70% on the windshield and 55% on everything else. Not bad.... The windshield and all of the door glass was pulled for this application.

The last car, I went 70% on everything. All of the glass was pulled. It's an old car and I kinda wish I went 80% on everything, for the "no tint" look. I'm probably going to pull the side glass and have them redone in 80%.

I went with Suntek CXP on all 3 cars. Main purpose was heat rejection.

-Todd

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Did they give a reason why? I was going to get mine done, but decided I'd just keep the shade closed and save a few bucks.
-Todd
I can't remember the reason, but I think it was someone a few years ago on the TDI club who told me. Additionally the tinter wants a big buck for a little bit of glass. Between a 6" strip on the windshield and the sunroof would come to close to 50% of doing the windows. Just too mucking fuch.

Edit June 20th: I found where I read it. The reason I was told NOT to tint the roof glass is that it would attract the suns heat too much and can cause damage.

Last edited:

TdiRN

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta, 5 speed, 400k milesish
If you are going to tint...tint the whole car. Keeps some of the heat out and doing just window might look odd.

I did 15% tint all the way around and it works great, I have no problem seeing out at any time of day or night. They tinted the back and I have no problem with the defroster either.