Complete gutting of interior tips?

carsaremytoys

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta TDI 5MT, 05 Passat wagon TDI 5MT
Hi guys. I just scored a complete interior from carpet to headliner, including trunk for $225! Only catch is that I have to pull it myself.
Any tips? Tools needed, methods, etc?
Literally all of the interior is mine for the taking!

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
I bought one of those interior trim removal tool kits a little while ago, and I had to laugh and wonder why I didn't buy this stuff 20 years ago. As cheap as they can be had, they're certainly worth every penny imho. I bought one similar to the kit in the link below.

https://www.amazon.com/LANMU-Interior-Combination-Installer-Tool-5PCS/dp/B06XZ2N5BN

Other than that, just the basics. Torx, and a small handful of sockets. Just be gentle, and don't rush.

I replaced the whole carpet in my Golf a couple years ago and it's a pretty easy job.

carsaremytoys

Veteran Member
TDI
Anything else? I've never successfully pulled a headliner...

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
If you don't have the How-To's already, go to VWVortex, MKIV Section, and read up ahead of time. There are some good ones here, also, as well as on Youtube.

Carpet, seats, headliner are all pretty easy. The trickiest areas involve fragile plastics or hidden clips/retainers (clips in the C pillar, especially). A small set of (metal) picks and hooks is helpful, and be patient with plastics. Be careful not to bend the headliner too much- it will crease.

Have zip-lock bags and a marker to record the hardware which is removed, and where it goes- pictures as you go will help, also. A clean, dry area in which to work is essential.

Helpers:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5187132&p=69931648&viewfull=1#post69931648

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?2979511

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?958556

etc.

carsaremytoys

Veteran Member
TDI
I started today. I'm having trouble with a few things. The plastic around the map lights and sun roof controls and the sunroof motor. How many screws are in it?

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
From memory there are two recessed under the bulb cover? If you have a sunroof, have you popped the cover off so that the crank is visible? Then uncover the bulbs- you should see the two I'm thinking of- but there's also one (two?) for the center (mini) sunshade, in front of the controls for the sun roof. There are some decent videos on Youtube, too.

carsaremytoys

Veteran Member
TDI
I haven't gone back to that area. But I have taken the door cards off. Behind them is another issue I have. The door plate if you will won't come off. It looks to be riveted to the window. I'm thinking that I have to drill out the rivet on top?

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I haven't gone back to that area. But I have taken the door cards off. Behind them is another issue I have. The door plate if you will won't come off. It looks to be riveted to the window. I'm thinking that I have to drill out the rivet on top?
I remember there were 2 plastic rivets you had to push the center pin in to get the regulator off.
The card was riveted to the motor, these you would have to drill or replace the motor also.
Not sure what you are calling the 'door plate'.

carsaremytoys

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm calling the door plate the metal piece that holds the speaker and motor. I took it off via the 10 or 12 mm bolts.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I'm calling the door plate the metal piece that holds the speaker and motor. I took it off via the 10 or 12 mm bolts.
OK
The 2 plastic rivets have a pin in them that you push into the door and retrieve later.
The panel comes out then.
The controller is (iIrc) attached to the motor. Might be rivets.
In a pinch I would use a couple #6-32 screws, washers & nuts.
Getting the motor out is a lot more fun. :)
Were those the rivets you were referring to?

carsaremytoys

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't think so. What I recall was riveted at the top of the panel. Looked like it went into the window? This is for the rear driver side door btw. It was where I started and failed, so I didn't mess with any other doors metal panels. Once I did pull out the socket head bolts the panel fell and would not go back into place btw. I had to hold it up and shut the door from the inside.

carsaremytoys

Veteran Member
TDI
The Germans really don't want you tinkering with their cars. Haha. I'm nearly there, headliner issues now. Of all the videos I watch, the a pillar just pulls right off, not this car... It's hung up at the air bag, probably why it's not coming off, ideas?
I have to pick up a triple square for the steering wheel and then I can get the dash off.
I have to pull the wiring for the heated seats as well.
The seller is giving me tomorrow to finish up. One more shot!

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
Pull the A pillar "somewhat" out at the top, there's a visible metal clip. Snag the hooped top with a hook tool, pull in the obvious direction, it will come free. You can then remove the A-pillar cover.

DO NOT just yank it, you'll break it.

The clip is there to keep the pillar from becoming a missile that goes right through your face if the airbag goes off.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
The rest is pretty easy provided you have the other side trim pieces and such off. Don't forget the lights! Once you have it loose push it forward slightly to disengage the lip from the sunroof frame and it should come free. The sides detach pretty easily. Once it's free there may be tape holding the wiring down so it doesn't rattle; look around the edges with a flashlight before attempting to just pull it out.

It comes out one of the REAR doors on a sedan at an angle but don't expect it to be easy. It's much easier on the wagons where it comes right out the back.

I've re-covered a couple of them so I've had some practice removing it.. :)

Last edited:

carsaremytoys

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm trying to get all the wiring. The engine has been pulled. No it's up to me to get the interior completely gutted! Has anyone pulled everything? I need some help with everything under the dash

carsaremytoys

Veteran Member
TDI
I tried that, no luck, lots of steering wheel ones though!
I've got the column sitting on the floor, figured it would slide off, but no luck.

carsaremytoys

Veteran Member
TDI
All done! I'll post an after pic later. Thanks for all the help

SoKYTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL 4-door
I'd do the heater core while I had that unit out. Much easier if it's already out of the car!

carsaremytoys

Veteran Member
TDI
That is a question I have! I don't know how to get to the core. And how hard is it to get to the bolts on the firewall with the engine there?