Replacing Engine

thedude78

TDI

Can't really tell from the picture but it's dented a little and scraped up pretty good so I figured if there was any time to upgrade then might as well do it now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I"d replace that too. Personally I'd stick with the aluminum pan. But I don't tend to hit anything.

thedude78

TDI
This MADNESS has got to stop!!! I found a 2000 MK4 Jetta VR6 5spd with a 120,000 miles. The guy told me that the coolant cap came off and lost all coolant and overheated the engine and it's "no good". If it was a TDI, I would fix it up in a heart beat but it had really nice leather seats, door panels, headliner, carpet and dash so I bought it, couldn't pass it up for $300 bucks!!

Last edited:

thedude78

TDI
Alrighty....oil pan on order. When I pulled all the turbo piping, it made me sick to find out just how much oil was in the INTAKE system. I'm really interested in finding out information about intercooler piping. I've read a couple threads that say a SMIC is plenty enough for a stock'ish engine pushing close to factory numbers. So I'm wondering which is the best, SMIC or FMIC?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Stick with the SMIC. Piping is easier to route and shorter, which helps minimize lag. If you're concerned about heat soaking you can upgrade your SMIC to a larger one.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Alrighty....oil pan on order. When I pulled all the turbo piping, it made me sick to find out just how much oil was in the INTAKE system. I'm really interested in finding out information about intercooler piping. I've read a couple threads that say a SMIC is plenty enough for a stock'ish engine pushing close to factory numbers. So I'm wondering which is the best, SMIC or FMIC?
Oil doesn't hurt anything and is completely normal.

thedude78

TDI

Making a little progress, got the head back from frank and I'm ready to get this sucker rolling!

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
As usual, I must be missing something.
Why not drop the rebuilt motor, transmission and petal, ECU and cluster right into that lovely black 2000?

thedude78

TDI
Well after a BUNCH of expensive lesson learned the hard way (won't go into details to save what pride I have left) I can officially say that the Red Rocket is up and running. I have an ear to ear smile on my face when she fired right up. Still need to look into buying a VCDS so I can get the fuel timing down and figure out the airbag light and see what codes she it throwing after the EGR took a hike.

mathanz

TDI
2003 Wagon, auto, 127k miles
I'm in Austin and have VCDS if you want to stop by one night or weekend for me to read the codes for you. Glad to hear she's up and running.

thedude78

TDI
I'm in Austin and have VCDS if you want to stop by one night or weekend for me to read the codes for you. Glad to hear she's up and running.
Thanks brother, I just might have to take you up on your offer. This is the first time I've driven a Jetta TDI and it's a blast.

mathanz

TDI
2003 Wagon, auto, 127k miles
No prob... Just PM me if so. Also I highly recommend RunOnBeer / Robby Plenge if you need a TDI guru. He's in South Austin. High quality work at very reasonable prices.