toyota swap

lews930

Veteran Member
TDI
96 passat
I've got her running. But....

I can't get it to rev higher than about 1500 to 2000 rpm. A friend said o had to use the n75 valve. Thoughts?

I wasn't planning on using the maf either.

Any ideas?

casey823

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta sedan, 2002 golf tdi
If its the ALH and vnt turbo you have to have something to control the variable veins in the turbo, and thats the n75... That is why it wont rev, nothing pulling the actuator on the turbo. You will need a tune to properly run mafless.

smelly621

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf, 2003 Tacoma
Have you checked with VCDS to see if you have any fault codes that might explain the issue? I get you're a man of few words - but you'd get better help if you gave more information. The folks on here are brilliant when it comes to TDIs, not so great at the mind reading.

That said, my wild ass guesses are:
-ALH pedal on AHU harness/ECU causing issue
-Injection pump QA issue (wiring fault or possibly component issue)
-Brake switches connected in a way that freaks out ECU

lews930

Veteran Member
TDI
96 passat
The motor is ahu. Stock. Alh pedal (wiring checked 3 times).

Except for alh pedal i only have the 109 relay wired in as well as. Injector pump (2 desperate plugs), crank sensor.

I also have the obd plug wired in

Do i have to wire anything else?

smelly621

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf, 2003 Tacoma
You need to use VCDS/Vag-Com/or something equivalent to look at the different measuring blocks in the ECU and read any relevant codes.- so that's great you wired up the ODB plug.

I would start by checking out what it is seeing for TPS input - to confirm if it's understanding your request for more throttle. The wiring for the pedal swap can tricky, there is some conflicting information out there on it.

If it starts and runs you have the essentials connected. Issues with the N75, lack of MAF, EGR, etc will not keep you from (slowly albeit) going through the rev range. Some brake switch faults, and issues with the TPS will cause that behavior. A bad injection pump QA, or possibly too high of an injection pump IQ might also.

How's it run between idle and 1500-2000 rpm? Is it a hard cut or does it start to stumble/bog?

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (R.I.P.), 1.6TD Toyota pickup, 2011 BMW 335d, 1996 Passat TDI
I know my '13 TDI wouldn't rev past 1500-2000 if my foot was on the brake. I don't know if the AHU is wired that way but it might be worth looking into.

lews930

Veteran Member
TDI
96 passat
I didn't wire in the 3rd injector. And I get a needle lift sensor code

Uggh

Looks like I'll be looking for wire color for the 3rd injector plug tonight

Alchemist

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 ALH Golf
ECU Pin 11 Blue wire to Needle lift sensor Pin 2
ECU Pin 12 Grey wire to Needle lift sensor Pin 1

The above is based on the 68 pin AHU ECU which I think you are using.

For the 121 Pin ALH ECU it is as follows.

ECU Pin 101 Blue wire to Needle lift sensor Pin 2
ECU Pin 109 Green wire to Needle lift sensor Pin 1

HTH

lews930

Veteran Member
TDI
96 passat
I'm using a facet electric pump as a lift pump.

The motor was pulled from a running driving car. Not saying that the injector pump didn't go bad from sitting for 3 years while this swap was underway but....

Question.....

How much fuel should coming out of the return side of the injector pump at idle?

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
I'm using a facet electric pump as a lift pump.

The motor was pulled from a running driving car. Not saying that the injector pump didn't go bad from sitting for 3 years while this swap was underway but....

Question.....

How much fuel should coming out of the return side of the injector pump at idle?
a healthy VE rejects most of the fuel it pumps from the tank... so "a lot" would be my answer ... if you just have a trickle then you may have an issue with the internal vane pump

lews930

Veteran Member
TDI
96 passat
Can't I just whack it with a hammer?

JK!

That explains why I couldnt keep it running after disconnecting the lift pump. Is this something I can do?
Take it apart?

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
to get at the lift pump you'll need to disassemble the entire IP down to the last bolt ... does it have sticky deposits or rusty deposits ? if any deposits or goo there are probably more stuck internals than just the vane pump

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
best way to store a pump is full of motor oil, hydraulic oil or trans oil ... diesel can gum parts when exposed to air in a drained pump ... you can try pumping some omc engine tuner into the pump and letting it sit a few hours to see if it frees the elements... the gallon soak carb cleaner will work too but it's pretty caustic so don't let it sit too long

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
I remember someone saying the detergents in these oils would harm the seals, if left long term... no clue if true. I suppose a standard non-detergent oil would be a safe bet.

I like the ease of the earlier pumps, where I just apply 12v, then spin the main shaft with a drill, and pump fresh fuel through it.

I've been doing this every few months with a Landy pump, to keep it clean.

-Todd

lews930

Veteran Member
TDI
96 passat
If I take the top cover off the pump will tjat allow enough engine tuner to reach the vane pump?

Or should I put it in the input side of the pump

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
I remember someone saying the detergents in these oils would harm the seals, if left long term... no clue if true. I suppose a standard non-detergent oil would be a safe bet.
I like the ease of the earlier pumps, where I just apply 12v, then spin the main shaft with a drill, and pump fresh fuel through it.
I've been doing this every few months with a Landy pump, to keep it clean.
-Todd
since the rubber seals and o'rings in the IP are of the same materials as the seals and orings in engines and transmissions (buna, viton etc.) i'd say they are incorrect ;)

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
since the rubber seals and o'rings in the IP are of the same materials as the seals and orings in engines and transmissions (buna, viton etc.) i'd say they are incorrect ;)

I can't speak for hydraulic or gear oil, but there's something in ATF, that will make the seals swell. There's definitely some type of compatibility issue, happening there.

-Todd

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Last edited:

lews930

Veteran Member
TDI
96 passat
I sent you a pm. I'm hoping the engine tuner will work but after looking at a diagram of the pump I'm not holding my breath