2004 Allroad BHW Conversion

stp359

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 4motion tdi 6speed
Well after almost 10,000kms trouble free, I'm having a strange issue.

Starts first crank as always, idles for 10-15 second and dies. Starts right up and does the same thing. If I press the throttle and hold it at 1500rpm, it will run with the occasional stutter. Let of the throttle, it will idle for a few seconds and die. It's gotten worse in the last couple days and will consistently die if idling.

There are no fault codes, seems to drive alright if I can avoid idling. The in-tank fuel pump is priming and running as it should.

I'm leaning towards the tandem pump, crank or cam sensor but would expect a code for the sensors.

Anyone have any ideas?
I had the exactly same problem on the passat. It was the seal between the vacuum pump and the diesel pump Inside the tandem pump. Diesel goes into the oïl. Just pull the stick and most probably your oil level will be extremely high. If you smell the vapors coming out of your oil cap and it smells like raw diesel... It's really bad for the camshaft as it basically runs on diesel instead of oil... The seals kit sells on eBay for about 60$ and it's really easy to do.

this is the one I got:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/181882478177?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

LukeWilson

Veteran Member
TDI
Toyota 4x4 TDI, 2004 Allroad TDI
Unfortunately it's not that seal. Oil level is normal with no diesel smell.
I was jiggling around the engine speed sensor and it hasn't acted up since. Not sure if it's just a coincidence or that's the problem. I would have expected a fault code...

stp359

Veteran Member
TDI
I ha d to replace both (G28) speed sensors. On the passat(BHW) and the allroad (BHW). It might be a weak spot. I would bet on that. BTW, how did you match the S4/A6 clutch disc with the S2 pressure plate. On the allroad I used a friction disc from a 2.5tdi audi 100 and it fitted straight up buw now I'm replacing the clutch on the passat and the S4 clutch disc doesn't fit inside the S2 pressure plate. The metal part that holds the 6 springs is larger than the inner diameter of the pressure plate.

woodyboyd

TDI
'04 Passat Wgn
BOM, Wiring and Fabricating Procedures

LW,

Congrats. Really appreciate your effort and thank all who have performed this conversion while sharing insights, secrets, and lessons learned.

Did I miss the link to your wiring doc?

Additionally, have you assembled a Bill of Material and procedural documents for fabricating items? In particular, can you detail exactly what milling was performed on the flywheel, as well as any custom adapters and brackets you created.

Also would like to know the model years you used to select the clutch and pressure plates.

Best regards,

WoodyBoyd
(Targeting an '01 AllRoad w/6sp MT for BHW TDi conversion.)

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Not sure where you are located but if you are near SC you can drive mine to see if you like it. It always helps to put perspective on the project if you can drive one. I have a 2001 AR with BHW and 6MQ.

LukeWilson

Veteran Member
TDI
Toyota 4x4 TDI, 2004 Allroad TDI
Figured I would do a little update as I've racked up 55k since the swap. No swap issues to report, just a couple of Allroad issues but nothing serious.

I consistently get 7.5L/100km combined, although I would say my driving is 70% highway driving. I also tend to drive a little faster on the highway, but I tried commuting at 115kph for a tank and managed to crack 1000km's from 65L (6.5L/100km). Pretty good for a 2000kg AWD car on snow tires...

My transmission has not grenaded synchros yet from not having a dual mass flywheel. If I were to do another one, I would pay for the dual mass as there is some chassis resonance at low RPM's. It doesn't really bother me as I've learned to drive a little differently to minimise it.

All in all, I'm very happy. There really isn't anything available on this continent I could replace it with that is AWD, manual, gets the same mileage, has this much space and is this comfortable. The chassis is almost at 300k, but I'm hoping I can get another 100k.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
A simple stage 2 tuned BHW will get 175 hp and 300 ft lbs of torque. It makes a passat sedan get out of its on way very well but its not fast.

Toss that motor into a much heavier all road and it will be a little slower

Now look up what it will take to get an alh to say 130-140 hp. It will move the allroad, just not as well. In stock form id imagine the allroad powdered by an alh would only be thrilling in snow or trail riding.

mac11

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Passat
A simple stage 2 tuned BHW will get 175 hp and 300 ft lbs of torque. It makes a passat sedan get out of its on way very well but its not fast.
Toss that motor into a much heavier all road and it will be a little slower
Now look up what it will take to get an alh to say 130-140 hp. It will move the allroad, just not as well. In stock form id imagine the allroad powdered by an alh would only be thrilling in snow or trail riding.

I’m not sure that thrilling is what I really care about.

Does it bolt up? Are the electronics impossible?

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, the flywheel will be the same as the bhw as well as bellhosing bolt housing. Electronics wont be an issue either.

Thrilling or not, ive owned a few vehicles that had trouble maintaining highway speeds, required constant down shifting going up hills just to try to maintain speed. When it comes to a diesel with an already narrow torque band and the tdi does have a friendly on road torque band compared so some other diesels, it can make commuting miserable once the new cool factor of the swap has worn off. My less than fun on the highway vehicles were all stock factory vehicles built when 55 was the freeway speed.

I wasn't trying to discourage you, it just costs a good bit of money to do a diesel conversion and a whole lot of time.

mac11

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Passat
Yes, the flywheel will be the same as the bhw as well as bellhosing bolt housing. Electronics wont be an issue either.
Thrilling or not, ive owned a few vehicles that had trouble maintaining highway speeds, required constant down shifting going up hills just to try to maintain speed. When it comes to a diesel with an already narrow torque band and the tdi does have a friendly on road torque band compared so some other diesels, it can make commuting miserable once the new cool factor of the swap has worn off. My less than fun on the highway vehicles were all stock factory vehicles built when 55 was the freeway speed.
I wasn't trying to discourage you, it just costs a good bit of money to do a diesel conversion and a whole lot of time.

Yeah it’s just a lot easier to find an alh car in my budget here.

Like I said thrilling isn’t an issue. I’ve had a handful of underwhelming power/weight vehicles for the back and forth slog. Like the 92 Camry and 94 Saturn. Awd, high mileage (comparatively) wagon preferably with a stick is much higher priority.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
You're not very far from my location, if you're patient you'll find an 05 or 04 diesel passat with a bad transmission or swimming pool floorboards for dirt cheap. My last 400 dollar running but not driving passat came from Asheville nc...a little closer your way.

It's been a while since I've been to Nashville but what i remember most about tn are the mountains.

mac11

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Passat
You're not very far from my location, if you're patient you'll find an 05 or 04 diesel passat with a bad transmission or swimming pool floorboards for dirt cheap. My last 400 dollar running but not driving passat came from Asheville nc...a little closer your way.
It's been a while since I've been to Nashville but what i remember most about tn are the mountains.

That’s old. I’m in central Indiana now. I’ve got a couple passats on the radar but nothing that’s under 4 figures regardless of condition. I guess we’ll see

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
If you're up for a road trip there is one between Knoxville and Asheville for 1200. They say frim on the price but it's been listed a while.

I have a good runner listed for 2k(bad tranny) just in case rhere is a market of people out there buying them without doing any research. I've had some tire kickers but not much more than that.

mac11

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Passat
I run my own business, work 80-100hrs/wk and am flipping a house on the side. It would have to be a hell of a deal for a 12+ hour round trip. Chicago, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, southern Michigan, NW Ohio is more my speed. Got a link?

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
https://asheville.craigslist.org/cto/d/marshall-2005-vw-passat-tdi-wagon/6741648357.html

I hope you have a shop lined up to do this conversion or else you're going to be cashing in a crap ton of vacation days to complete this swap.

A 5speed conversion in a a b5.5 passat is essentially bolt in. With the 5 speed donor car at my disposal for the swap plus all the balance shaft delete components in hand it took me about 2 weeks of a few hours every evening plus a few hours each weekend. Granted i didnt work fast. Now that ive done it once it would take half the time.

The allroad swap requires way more electrical work.

NMDieselExplorer

TDI
B5.5 Passat TDI Wagon 6 speed ELN conversion
There's a guy who lives in Santa Fe, NM who converted an Allroad to ALH. He's on the forum here somewhere-try searching the Allroad conversion threads. It's definitely possible and doable-but like PickleRick observed-upping the power to an acceptable level takes some resources.

Audib5tdi

TDI
2004 Audi Allroad BHW TDI
I had the car reflashed again on the weekend to a little bit more of an aggressive tune. Seems to pull a little harder, I will do some more logs to see if this is all she has but I am pretty happy with the performance for a daily driver.

So far my clutch is holding the power just fine. Nice and light pedal, no complaints.

Here are some pics of what I ended up soft coding the ECU, ABS and instrument cluster (I'll add later) to. Keep in mind you will have to have a tuner adjust the tune for the manual transmission before you will be able to change it.

ECU:

ABS:
Hey there I have a 04 Audi Allroad with bhw and 6 speed swap. Already got Malone stage 2 tune and converted from auto to manual tune. Still cannot recode the abs code as the vcds said “No response from controller” possible wiring problem?

Audib5tdi

TDI
Time for a new project (not that I needed another one)!
I've always loved the Allroads and thought they would be the ultimate daily driver, only problem was I've dealt with enough 2.7T's to know that I would never own one and I dropped the idea. Then I met Wing_Man who was about to start his Allroad BHW swap and the idea popped back into my head. A year later and many miles covered on an R1200GS, I was going to need a winter daily driver and the search began.
Got a great deal on a 2005 Passat with a pooched transmission:

Then a month later, managed to snag a 2004 manual Allroad in decent condition for a very good price as well:

I pulled the BHW out and started to give it a little TLC. New timing belt, balance shaft delete and general cleaning up (horrendously filthy after 320k kms):

Then I got a TDI 01E from Frans at Dutch Auto Parts. I was very happy with the transaction and couldn't believe how fast it showed up (4 days!).
The next issue was finding a clutch that would hold a stage 2 tune now and probably more in the future. After much searching, I decided to go for the single mass 240mm frankenclutch recipe. Took some time to source the correct parts, but so far I think I only have $350 into it. So assuming it holds, it's by far the most cost effective option.

I'll be removing the 2.7T and existing 01E this weekend and maybe even get the BHW put back in if I can get my flywheel/pressure plate balanced in time.
I will be creating a wiring chart as I go, hopefully this will make it easier for future Allroad swappers. A lot of it is the same/very similar between the two harnesses, but there are definitely a few pins that will need to be figured out.
The general plan is to run the hottest tune I can on stock injectors and turbo for the time being. The main goal is a quick swap, good fuel economy and similar drivability to the the 2.7T.
More to come very shortly!
Hey there do you have a wiring chart for abs/airbag wiring? I have a same thing. 2004 Allroad with BHW and 6 speed swapped.

stp359

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey there do you have a wiring chart for abs/airbag wiring? I have a same thing. 2004 Allroad with BHW and 6 speed swapped.
About your ABS issues, which VCDS cable are you using? I had the 12.12 version and I was not able to connect to some modules. Then I got the 17.3 version and everything was fine. I have a 2005 Allroad with the BHW engine + 6spd as well. You could try with another VCDS cable to see how it goes. Feel free to message me if you need some wiring diagrams. I have no idea how to post pictures here

Audib5tdi

TDI
About your ABS issues, which VCDS cable are you using? I had the 12.12 version and I was not able to connect to some modules. Then I got the 17.3 version and everything was fine. I have a 2005 Allroad with the BHW engine + 6spd as well. You could try with another VCDS cable to see how it goes. Feel free to message me if you need some wiring diagrams. I have no idea how to post pictures here
I’m using hex-v2 and 20.4 (new version)

Audib5tdi

TDI
So I downloaded 17.8 version and still doing the same thing.

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
Any updates? Still driving this beast?
Probably drives just as any vw Passat 4motion, with a remap it can be brisky ! However stock it wouldn’t set my heart on fire, it’s very heavy and with lack of torque low down you really need to rev the engine to make progress.
I have a mate with a b6 Quattro, car used to be multitronic but gearbox failed, he converted to Quattro running gear from a v6 tdi Quattro but with tiptronic gearbox (standard zf5Hp). With a bb43 hybrid turbo, AL injectors and extensively tuned it moves alright, however you can tell it’s heavy and the gearbox has the wrong shift points and wants to go in high gear as soon as possible. I just imagine how the extra 300kg will do in the allroad!
I liked my old allroad v6 tdi Quattro, with large bosio race injectors and a gtb2260vk turbo it was a beast…heavy and interesting on a run !

caffeine

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Allroad w/04 BHW/02X conversion, 00 ALH Jetta
Probably drives just as any vw Passat 4motion, with a remap it can be brisky ! However stock it wouldn’t set my heart on fire, it’s very heavy and with lack of torque low down you really need to rev the engine to make progress.
I have a mate with a b6 Quattro, car used to be multitronic but gearbox failed, he converted to Quattro running gear from a v6 tdi Quattro but with tiptronic gearbox (standard zf5Hp). With a bb43 hybrid turbo, AL injectors and extensively tuned it moves alright, however you can tell it’s heavy and the gearbox has the wrong shift points and wants to go in high gear as soon as possible. I just imagine how the extra 300kg will do in the allroad!
I liked my old allroad v6 tdi Quattro, with large bosio race injectors and a gtb2260vk turbo it was a beast…heavy and interesting on a run !
I just got my BHW-02X swapped Allroad driving less than two months ago and honestly the car is quite a bit more powerful than I expected. My daily driver for a while has been an ALH Jetta, and by comparison the Allroad moves very well. It's not a fast car, and never will be, but also consider that stock vs stock, the BHW puts out only about 20-30 ft lbs less peak torque than the original 2.7 twin turbo V6. Passing power in 6th is also very good above 100km/hr, far better than my Jetta in 5th. I have no power modifications to the engine yet beyond a Colt stage 2 cam, which is probably closer to a stock replacement anyway as the 'stage 2' mostly applies to BEW engines.