Chevy Cruze Diesel a direct competitor to the Jetta TDI

Status
Not open for further replies.

vdubdezl

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI 5MT, 05 Honda Odyssey EX-L
I can't wait to own own one of these. We all know how successful GM has been in the past with diesel engines in the U.S.
Especially considering their track record with the ever-durable 6.2 and 6.5 engines.

Competition is good. Didn't GM say they didn't want diesels???:eek:

Isophorone

Veteran Member
I was at a Chevy dealer last week to get parts for my Saturn. While I was there (and trying to corral the kids, who were jumping in and out of the SUVs in the showroom), I did ask the salesmen about the Chevy Cruze diesel rumors. They seemed not to know anything about any Cruze diesel.

We did sit in a Cruze at a nearby festival recently. The car has some nice space (particularly in the trunk), but the front seats are hard and the rear seats looked like the kids would outgrow them pretty quickly. My wife and kids declared their dislike for it.

I agree with you all, however, that more diesel options would be a good thing.

Ron

Samcar222

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Salsa Red JSW TDI
Interesting.. competition is always a good thing. But lets discuss that 50 MPG number.. how? Leave the DPF as a dealer option, lol?

EPA CR TDI: 42
Real world CR TDI: ~45+

EPA Cruze: 50
Real world Cruze: 53+ ?? :eek:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.

tlhfirelion

TDI
None
I just wonder if it is a proven engine overseas. If its some new fandangled engine Im not gonna touch it. If its been overseas and is proven I hope it succeeds. I like the look of the car, and hopefully it won't leave me with a 8-10 thousand dollar bill.....allthough knowing GM it could be more. lol I want GM to succeed, it would be nice to have an American company I can believe in.

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
c'mon guys,,,deal in reality...the GM small market IS cruze.....do you think they will put a semi competitive engine in it....no way...... too much at stake this time around.....the car will be compelling, economical, better warranty, and make buying a Jetta more of a choice instead of a direction....My camaro SS and my Silverado are gems. GM is on a roll and quality is WAY up....look at JD powers....I look forward to a good dog fight.

John96895

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2002, Black
I might consider one of these, given that I'm reluctant to go near any VW with the current HPFP issues and the ten grand repair to the fuel system. Competition would force VW to build a more reliable product.

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
I just wonder if it is a proven engine overseas.
It's an OLD engine, designed by Via Motori. It was in the Hyundai Sonata a few generations ago and in some other Hyundai models. Hyundai stopped using this engine a few years ago. It's not competitive in NVH or fuel economy with modern diesel engines.
The 6-speed auto Cruze diesel is rated at 6.6 l/100km (35.6 mpg) in the Euro rating. A Jetta 2.0 TDI DSG is rated at 5.3 l/100km. (44.4 mpg).

tlhfirelion

TDI
None
It's an OLD engine, designed by Via Motori. It was in the Hyundai Sonata a few generations ago and in some other Hyundai models. Hyundai stopped using this engine a few years ago. It's not competitive in NVH or fuel economy with modern diesel engines.
The 6-speed auto Cruze diesel is rated at 6.6 l/100km (35.6 mpg) in the Euro rating. A Jetta 2.0 TDI DSG is rated at 5.3 l/100km. (44.4 mpg).
Well, old doesn't really mean bad except with regard to my neighbor. :) 12V Cmmins are old but good, Powerstroke 7.3's are sought out, etc. Is it a proven reliable engine or is it junk? What I'm trying to figure out is that IF this is the engine in the cruze, am I the guinea pig here or is this engine proven to be reliable. Also, do the HPFP's in GM products differ from the ones in the current TDI of VW?

From what I've read online the car in question is flying off showroom floors in Australia, I don't know about other countries so I assume we won't get a newly designed engine. I guess until we know exactly what engine will go in the cruze (if it happens at all) then my question is mute.

It's exciting personally to see an American company finally pull their heads out of their A**, and make a move in a positive direction. I want this to succeed not just because it's an American company, but if it takes off, then Ford or Chrysler may jump in, maybe Subaru next, Toyota, etc. I want there to be as many diesel options as there are gassers, but I'm sure everyone here wants that too.

I was ready to pull the trigger on a new Golf last year and then this HPFP issue popped up. Yes I know it's a small number, but I can't take the risk of such an expensive repair being left on my shoulders. I realize everything mechanical breaks at some point, but with my luck, I'd be an unlucky one that VW would leave high and dry. If VW resolves this issue then I'll be in a golf the day after. Otherwise I will have to look elsewhere and I want more diesel options. Even if everyone here hates the car and would rather have a VW product, they should want GM to make this work. It will only help diesel fans in the USA because if diesel takes off, then the VW fans may get their choice of ANY VW product in diesel, maybe we get the Amarok, etc.

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
From what I've read online the car in question is flying off showroom floors in Australia, I don't know about other countries so I assume we won't get a newly designed engine.
The Cruze isn't selling all that well in Europe. 363 Cruzes in Q1/2011 in Germany - that's 121 per month on average. (Golf: About 21,500 per month) And I bet most are base gassers.
So there are not enough diesel Cruzes on the road to have a good sample base for reliability studies. The only Chevy doing reasonably well in Europe is the Spark, which accounts for more than two thirds of Chevy sales.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Also, keep in mind that the HPFP could even change for the US market - for that matter, the CBEA and CJAA in the US have a different revision HPFP from the Euro CBEA-equivalent and CJAA, designed to tolerate US fuel better.

And, really, the CBEA and CJAA aren't THAT far removed, as far as engine architecture, from the ALH. They're the same architecture, just with a 16v head, and a balance shaft module, really.

So, "the same engine" can be quite different.

Corsair

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5M
... I'd like to believe other manufacturers will need to think about similar offerings for the same underlying reasons. Also, once one domestic (umm... are they really??) manufacturer initiates the offering, others will be compelled to do same so they aren't perceived as having a "hole" in their product matrix. Years ago I was a GM bowtie fan. Now as we read all this about the cruze, I find myself wondering what Ford will counter with. I'd be very interested in that.
=
Meanwhile, shall someone start designing seat adapter rails that allow re-fit of jetta seats into a cruze? ;)

tlhfirelion

TDI
None
I was at my local chevy dealer today and I asked the sales manager about the Diesel Cruze. He was actually up to date on it and down right excited about it; It was kind of funny. He was apparently a big diesel fan and was pining over the 1/2 ton that they thought was going to get a diesel a year or two back. He said it was to get 30 MPG, which seemed slightly high to me but still, it would be great to have that option. I wish they would hurry up already!

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
The Cruze isn't selling all that well in Europe. 363 Cruzes in Q1/2011 in Germany - that's 121 per month on average. (Golf: About 21,500 per month) And I bet most are base gassers.
So there are not enough diesel Cruzes on the road to have a good sample base for reliability studies. The only Chevy doing reasonably well in Europe is the Spark, which accounts for more than two thirds of Chevy sales.
how do you know for SURE this is the motor? maybe its an advanced version or maybe GM has something new and intersting up their sleeve...do you go to the GM product planning sessions???
why dont we wait to see what they produce before we pan it

REDNECKDZL

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, 2015 Jetta, 1984 Wabbit TD, 1986 RX7 waiting on AHU swap
I'll believe it when i see it

why just one model, let's see some more options

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"

lexa

Veteran Member
TDI
none
LLN: Confirmed: Chevrolet Cruze diesel on the way in 2013

If it doesn't get at least 40 mpg highway, it's DOA.

QUOTE]

Current Cruze with 2.0 diesel and automatic is rated at 36 mpg combined on Euro cycle. *already converted Imperial to U.S.*

As much as I like diesel it is better not to offer this at all if it can not achieve better mpg than gasoline Eco model.
just as TDI is rated in US.

it should then get 40 MPH on a HWY.

dlb

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Reflex Silver Golf
would be nice but thats 2yrs away and a lot can change in that time ??

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
should be interesting...anyone know who makes there motor?..I wonder how it has 160hp but the same tq as the cr and from videos of the euro diesel cruise its a dog compared to the vw cr motor. Its good to see more diesel cars but it probably will push diesel over gas prices here or something stupid and i know i wouldnt trade my vw for a chev but ive had to many bad ones before lol

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
I'm with you.....I remember all the chatter a couple years back about an accord diesel...what ever happened to that?

The Accord was never announced officially, do you people not read? LOL

This Cruze was OFFICIALLY announced for the US in 2013.

kingkos

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon TDI
Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see any more diesels available no matter who makes them, I'm just saying im not holding my breath.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
The Mazda 2 diesel is supposed to be here nex tyear, let's wait and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.