Projector Headlights + HID?

Damien8

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone has retrofitted projector headlights with HID on their cars?

I saw some on eBay, and they looked pretty cool. Would be nice to get some HIDs going.

Any thoughts on this?

rix337

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
I did, and I really love them.

But you have to run capacitors in line with the bulbs or upgrade to the hiline lighting module.

Last edited:

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
Are those GTI/GLI HIDs?

AFAIK, you don't need capacitors if you run the OEM HIDs. If you go the OEM route, like rix337 states you need the Highline central electric module to control the shutters for the dipped / high beams and the auto leveling motors. Theres even 12-10 pin adaptors for those lights to put them in your car.

What's the light output like from your lights? I've been thinking about doing this myself, however the price of the OEM HID setup is just too far out there.

pawel

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 TDI 6 MT, Platinum Gray Metallic, Anthracite Interior
rix337 said:

But you have to run capacitors in line with the bulbs or upgrade to the hiline lighting module.
Can you post few pics showing the HID bulb install inside of the housing?

Damien8

Veteran Member
TDI
rix337 said:

Why do you need capacitors? Is it just a simple resistor to prevent the factory bulb warning from coming up?

Also, do you happen to have any night shots with the bulbs on?

Thanks!

rix337

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
You need them to keep the "bulb out" from coming up on the MFD and to keep the HID from flickering as well. I will try to get some night pics but my camera is not a very good one. As for the bulbs...if you get an H7 HID kit it is a stock fit. The projector headlights like my FK's use the stock bulbs. So you can use the stock halogens, or get a HID kit to fit them. I double-sided 3m taped the ballasts to the side of the light housings.
Many of the HID kit sellers can get you the inline wiring with the resistors in them.

Damien8

Veteran Member
TDI
Anyone have a DIY for installing the HIDs? Wondering how easily the headlamps come out of these cars?

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
Check around on vwvortex.com and jettamkv.com and I'm sure you will find plenty of info about removing the headlights. I can tell you that it's not terribly complicated but does require a fair amount of effort. You have to remove the front bumper to access some of the screws that mount the headlights.

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Pelican18TQA4 said:
I have the DynaBeam-look HID lights:

Click for Full Size Pic
Are those projectors designed for HID lights, or are they for the tungsten bulb with an HID drop in kit? I really like those.

I'm also going to assume they are not bi-xenon?

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
dzcad90 said:
Are those projectors designed for HID lights, or are they for the tungsten bulb with an HID drop in kit? I really like those.

I'm also going to assume they are not bi-xenon?
Yes, they are designed for HID. Hella makes two versions, Halogen and HID. They are not bi-xenon, but they do have a very nice E-code beam pattern and cutoff and they do come with a complete auto-leveling system and they do not require any additional parts to be installed.

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Pelican18TQA4 said:
Yes, they are designed for HID. Hella makes two versions, Halogen and HID. They are not bi-xenon, but they do have a very nice E-code beam pattern and cutoff and they do come with a complete auto-leveling system and they do not require any additional parts to be installed.

Ok.. Now I'm really interested..

Can I ask (ballpark) how much?

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
Thanks Turbine for linking to my very brief install thread. As for the cost of the lights, expect to pay in the neighborhood of $1,000 for them. I purchased mine from TMTuning and couldn't be happier.

Turbine Suburban

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 6 manual Gone! V6 Mustang now.
Pelican18TQA4 said:
Thanks Turbine for linking to my very brief install thread. As for the cost of the lights, expect to pay in the neighborhood of $1,000 for them. I purchased mine from TMTuning and couldn't be happier.
Found that after my PM to you. Still trying to figure out if I want to remove the asv and drill/tap. I know you just got a little warning, but I can see a service writer giving me a load if I have any warranty work...

Damien8

Veteran Member
TDI
Anyone buy projector headlights from eBay? Looking for something like the stock HID headlights from VW.

Also, what happens with the daytime running lights?

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
Damien8 said:
I've been looking for a set on eBay, but all of them seem to look cheap and have halos on them.

I want a set that looks exactly like the stock VW ones.

Anyone know where I can get these at a good deal?
If you want a set of halogen lights that look exactly like the OE bi-xenons, then you need to pick up the Hella HID-look lights. They can be retrofitted with a HID kit, if you so desire.

Damien8

Veteran Member
TDI
Pelican18TQA4 said:
If you want a set of halogen lights that look exactly like the OE bi-xenons, then you need to pick up the Hella HID-look lights. They can be retrofitted with a HID kit, if you so desire.
Where is the best/cheapest place to get these?

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
Damien8 said:
Where is the best/cheapest place to get these?
ECS Tuning carries them, as does TM Tuning. Not sure if other places carry them.

Damien8 said:
That is a factory U.S. HID headlight housing, but considering it's advertised as new and is going for less than $300, I'd venture to say that it doesn't come with any of the internals (i.e., HID bulb, ballast, etc.) You'll easily spend just as much sourcing all of the other parts as you would've if you just bought the full headlight assemblies in my opinion.

Last edited:

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
Well, it would be a deal if the lights came with ballasts, igniters, HID capsules, etc. because then you'd end up with OE HIDs for about $600. Unfortunately, there's no way that new HIDs are going for that little brand new.