www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Motorsports

TDI Motorsports This section is dedicated to the folks who push the TDI to the absolute limit racing. Topics should include articles about TDIs in the SCCA ProRally Series, Drag Racing, AutoCross and any other events that include TDIs.

Old June 23rd, 2017, 12:27   #46
WrEkkED
Veteran Member

I want to try a few track days and have a few questions. What size tires do you guys run? I have 8" wheels and was goin to stick with 225 pss. Other than a rear sway bar anything else that's needed to push the car?

Car: koni coils, gtb2260 maxed out stock BEW injectors, stock intercooler, cermaic rear pads, tt bushings, parts in hand going on the car this weekend, h2sport spindles, gli front brakes, ground control camber/caster adjustable mounts.
Old June 24th, 2017, 06:34   #47
shepner
Veteran Member

Not sure what the limits are on a Mk4 but on my Mk7, I am currently running 225/45/17 RE-71R tires on Enkei Fujin 17x7.5 rims with a bit of extra offset. Ill be switching to 245/45/17 when these wear out. I have heard its possible to cram 255 width in there but there might be a risk of tire rub at steering lock

stephen
shepner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2017, 06:49   #48
shepner
Veteran Member

Realized I forgot to answer the rest of your message...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrEkkED View Post
Other than a rear sway bar anything else that's needed to push the car?
Depends. Here, the MK7 GTI running at the top of the pro class doesnt have a swaybar. He just jacks up the rear pressure. Some of the other VW guys (who arent slow either) from the Chicago area dont even do that. I did some research and installed a rear swaybar on mine. Just DONT do that in the middle of the season. It will take a while to re-learn the car.

Better, especially if your novice, just drive what you got and go have fun.

stephen
shepner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2017, 19:48   #49
3L3M3NT
Veteran Member

Quote:
I want to try a few track days and have a few questions. What size tires do you guys run? I have 8" wheels and was goin to stick with 225 pss. Other than a rear sway bar anything else that's needed to push the car?
Car: koni coils, gtb2260 maxed out stock BEW injectors, stock intercooler, cermaic rear pads, tt bushings, parts in hand going on the car this weekend, h2sport spindles, gli front brakes, ground control camber/caster adjustable mounts.
Are you planning on doing more track days or Autocross?

Either way you'll wanna make sure you have a good set of brake pads and run higher boiling point brake fluid. Like shepner mentioned running a 245/40/17 is about the biggest tire I'd risk running on the car to make sure you clear the fender and strut on the inside in the front. You may wanna look into getting your front fenders rolled if you plan on running a wider tire if you are running your coilovers in their lowest setting.
With the wider tire you'll wanna run a 200 rated treadwear tire to put the power to the ground without bumping you up to the next class if you're doing Autocross.

If you can afford it I'd recommend upgrading your stock BEW injectors for something that will allow you to take full advantage of that gtb turbo you have on your car. Gigger has a set of BEW injectors with +80% Firad nozzles on them that he bought from me when I went with +120% nozzles.

If you are going to be going to some road course events where you'll be out on the track for extended periods of time you may want to at least consider upgrading to an upgrade SMIC or go with a FMIC for maximum efficiency for cooling the air going to the engine. I went with a same side in/out to have the shortest piping run, plus imo the easiest way to run the piping. Like so

Like shepner mentioned, try to do your upgrades at the beginning of the season, so you aren't going to have to reacquaint yourself with the car after you change something. Otherwise good luck, have fun, and stay safe out there.
Old June 25th, 2017, 06:54   #50
WrEkkED
Veteran Member

Ok great advice! Ya I would start with some track days at first. Will those 80% nozzles be enough or am I going to wish I did 100 or 120% down the road? I have stock sized rotors on the back but do have ceramic pads. The fronts will be getting slotted gli rotors and cermaic pads too and braided lines all around.
Any good fmic kits that arent a pain? I like darksides kit seems a bit pricey.
Old June 25th, 2017, 21:33   #51
TheFawkingHux

TDI(s): Mk3 Golf CL

195/75R14 Falkens on Snowflakes, Konis, Cabby rear disc swap. It did surprisingly well considering!
Old June 26th, 2017, 17:49   #52
3L3M3NT
Veteran Member

Quote:
Ok great advice! Ya I would start with some track days at first. Will those 80% nozzles be enough or am I going to wish I did 100 or 120% down the road? I have stock sized rotors on the back but do have ceramic pads. The fronts will be getting slotted gli rotors and cermaic pads too and braided lines all around.
Any good fmic kits that arent a pain? I like darksides kit seems a bit pricey.
The +80% nozzles are good for 300bhp, which are probably good for 275whp give or take. So unless you have upgraded your engines internals you'd be asking for trouble running these injectors on a stock engine. You could install the injectors and let your tuner know that you have a stock bottom end and don't wanna push the engine too much since the stock bottom end is supposedly good for 200whp give or take. That way once you do upgrade your rods, pistons, and headbolts you can have your tuner increase the fueling of the injectors. For reference on Firad nozzles

Another upgrade you may want to make on your brake setup is to upgrade the rear brakes to balance out what you're doing out front. I went with the Eurospec 280x9 rear brake upgrade Like so I've been quite happy with the performance of the kit.
Here is a thread on TDIClub about the upgrade 280x9 rear brake upgrade

From there you can go to an even large solid rotor from ECS Tuning 308x9 kit

Then you can move up to a vented rotor setup that came on the 337/20th/GLI which is a 256x22 rotor setup Like so
You can save some money by sourcing those parts on your own.

If you really start getting into the track days you'll wanna upgrade from those ceramic pads to something oriented for the track, such as these Hawk HP Plus pads that will give you better braking performance.

You could always construct your own FMIC kit with a CX Racing intercooler and build your own piping.
Same Side In/Out
CXRacing Universal Intercooler
2.5" Inlet & Outlet
CXRacing Intercooler for 99-06 VW Golf MK4
CX Bolt on FMIC Kit for 1.9 TDI
IMO a same side in/out intercooler is the way to go to make routing the piping as easy as possible.

Last edited by 3L3M3NT; June 26th, 2017 at 17:58.
3L3M3NT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 16:06   #53
WrEkkED
Veteran Member

Sweet great advice. I was going to go vented rears too but I just didnt want to spend the extra cash. I've spent my allowance :-P I just want to go out and try it out and push the car a bit and not destroy my car in the meantime.

As for internals, I thought the BEW was safe to 250hp on stock rods etc? At what point is a Cam nessesary to keep EGTs low?