What did you do to your MK7 today?

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Washed, clayed, and waxed the "new" 2015 for the first time. The "old" 2016 was jealous and sulking. She's getting a big turbo soon though, so that will make her happy.

goes2fast

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GolfS, GTI 18s, H&R springs, Stage 2
My advice is to find a tint guy that knows what he is doing. My guy said thy were a pain in the ass, but he got them done, and they look great! :D

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah, it's a matter of knowing how to remove the trim around that little corner window. My tinter had no problem doing it on my Mk7 GTI. This was a very busy shop though, and they had already seen several Mk7s before mine.

nsocwx

TDI
2015 Golf TDI Sportwagen S
Any tips/advice on how to do this? I had my windows tinted this weekend and they were not able to tint this area as well.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
I ordered a 1x5' roll of matte black vinyl on Amazon. I grabbed a sheet of printer paper and scissors cutting it to shape it until it was exactly the size of that window. I then transferred that to the vinyl and did one side which turned out great so I mirror it onto another piece and did the other side. You'll need a squeegee or trim tool to get it laid flat near the edges and you may also need a razor to trim off and excess if the vinyl shifted when you put it on.

Took about 15 minutes in the driveway. I could have removed the pillar trims for the tinter, but figured this was less work with a similar outcome. I quite like the matte black panels compared to useless windows :p

alvinM3

TDI
2011 Golf TDi
I ordered a 1x5' roll of matte black vinyl on Amazon. I grabbed a sheet of printer paper and scissors cutting it to shape it until it was exactly the size of that window. I then transferred that to the vinyl and did one side which turned out great so I mirror it onto another piece and did the other side. You'll need a squeegee or trim tool to get it laid flat near the edges and you may also need a razor to trim off and excess if the vinyl shifted when you put it on.

Took about 15 minutes in the driveway. I could have removed the pillar trims for the tinter, but figured this was less work with a similar outcome. I quite like the matte black panels compared to useless windows :p
Thanks. I'll try this out. +1 on the useless window

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

ssffnomad

Veteran Member
TDI
2015, GSW, S, TDI, 6MT. 5/2017
Stopped at Body Shop to visit the S. ÁC condenser replaced. Plastic Skid had a tear but no damage above it. Ins co going to give me credit of new VW Skid towards ID Parts Alum skid I ordered.
They let me get under and look at undercarriage. Think damage was so minimal because it went under passenger side tires.
Bummer cover is not that bad. Being repaired They are going to remove license plate hardware. Then I will install tow hook Plate mount.
Dave

garms

TDI
2015 Golf TDI Highline 6M (SEL)
I've had my 2015 Golf TDI Highline (SEL) for just under a month and I've read through this thread 3 times to get a list of things I want to do. Thanks all.

One thing that's not on here is how to get the 12v socket to stay on even when the ignition is off. My 2006 Golf TDI GLS had the 12v sockets on at all times and this change was unbearable. Anyways, I found this thread very useful:
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10155

If you don't know how to get to the fuse behind the steering wheel compartment, here:

Enjoy! If anyone finds a way to turn on the Bluetooth while the ignition is off, let me know.

b1jackson

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf - Gone in BUYBACK. Replaced with 2015 Golf
In a similar theme, if anyone figures out how to access a keyed power source for a dash cam, please share. I want my set up in this car to be abit cleaner rather than use up a power socket.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI

b1jackson

Veteran Member
TDI
great. Thanks for this. My camera has a micro USB connection into the camera and regular USB on the other end of the cable so I may mod this abit but good to know where to start.

Jedadiah

Veteran Member
TDI
Former: '15 Passat TDI SE 6M, '15 Golf S 6M and '10 JSW
FYI. If you take the yellow 20 amp fuse in the picture above and move it up half a slot, even with the 30 amp next to it, it turns the 12v plugs in the car to being hot all the time.

RichF

TDI
2015 Golf SEL Manual Platinum Gray Metallic
Hitch Install

Installed
Draw-Tite Sportframe Trailer Hitch Receiver - Custom Fit - Class I - 1-1/4"
Item # 24949 after work today, took about an hour. $100.18 free shipping from etrailer.com

Last edited:

garms

TDI
2015 Golf TDI Highline 6M (SEL)
Got Thule Roof Rack Bars and Ski Racks for 6 for only $300. Will have to buy a fit kit though.

UPDATE:

Rack Stop North Vancouver swapped the unopened fit kit I had with a fit kit that I needed, for free!

Last edited:

RichF

TDI
2015 Golf SEL Manual Platinum Gray Metallic
Painted calipers

Missed my red Gti Calipers, so I painted mine today on the GSW..
Used POR 15 Caliper Paint $14.40 on amazon

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
I changed my AC to Hot country. Much improved performance, especially with my non-tinted, black interior, GSW

There has been plenty of discussion about inconsistent AC systems over at vwvortex. If you have a VCDS you can check to see if you have "Hot Country" enabled. It seems like there are some cars sold that had it enabled and others that didnt. Reading through the thread below, people have reported getting cold air much faster after making the VCDS tweak.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7974521-2015-GTI-VCDS-AC-quot-Hot-Country-quot

Instructions from the link above:

1) Open VCDS
2) Go To Select Modules
3) Under the "Installed Modules" window - select number 08 - Auto HVAC
4) After the control loads - select Coding - 07
5) Click the button for "Long Coding Helper"
6) Press Tab or arrow down key until you see "Byte 12" selected
7)Under the drop-down for "Bit 4-7" select "10 Temperature Adjustment: Cold (Hot Countires)"
8) In the top-left corner of the window - select the "Exit" menu item
9) Press the "Do It" button to save the new setting
10) If all goes well - you should see a popup "Coding Accepted"

I haven't done this myself or checked what my setting is since I am happy with how my AC performs. Might check just to see what my settings are just for kicks.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I changed my AC to Hot country. Much improved performance, especially with my non-tinted, black interior, GSW
I did this on both of mine as well. It seemed to make a difference in the GSW for sure. Car sat outside during work yesterday during a high of 90F. It was tolerable inside within a mile of driving on Max A/C. I do use a windshield visor and have the sunscreens on the rear, rear quarter, and rear side windows.

b1jackson

Veteran Member
TDI
Wash/clay bar/wax/sealant and installed my dash cam. Car sat on the dealer lot for 2 years so the paint needed some serious clay action. It will live indoors from now on!

AGOODHI

Veteran Member
TDI
MKVII GSW, MKVI Golf
Windows tinted with Madico Onyx
deAutoKey LED tail, reverse, front blinkers
Debadge Golf
Paint Correction
Ceramic Pro Coating
Thule 450R/Aeroblades off of Craigslist ($125)

Last edited:

Jedadiah

Veteran Member
TDI
Didn't do this today, but I really like this product. Double Apex Garage door opener. The blank button above the two garage door buttons is also a real button, so it could be used for something else if someone wanted.
[/IMG]

Last edited:

Nutty 5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI 6MT
Didn't do this today, but I really like this product. Double Apex Garage door opener. The blank button above the two garage door buttons is also a real button, so it could be used for something else if someone wanted.
[/URL][/IMG]
I need to do this. Do you have a link to share? Love the factory look!

Jedadiah

Veteran Member
TDI
I purchased from ECS, but that's the same product. I had one on my MK6 that worked/looked great. Same thing for the MK7

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Two weeks ago, I had my windshield replaced after receiving a rock. Today, I'm replacing the rear passenger side door glass after the lawnmower kicked-up a rock yesterday. UGH! The shattered glass is currently held together with Gorilla Tape. Let's see if it survives the drive to the glass shop.

nsocwx

TDI
2015 Golf TDI Sportwagen S
I found hail dents on my MK7 today from a storm last night. Yay insurance claim on 2 month old vehicle lol.