www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old May 20th, 2009, 18:48   #766
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by everyman
Sorry good call, I forgot about that one. The dealership changed it at 60K. I'm going to do it again at 120K to be on the safe side. I imagine they would have done whatever else was scheduled at that time.

It cost me $5400. It was below book but not what I'd call a steal. My shopping time was cut short because the wheels were about to fall off my last ride and I didn't feel like putting any more money or time into into it. I looked for the "right" TDI for two months, but eventually you have to just jump and pray.
Okay, that's cheap enough that you can put a couple thousand into it and still end up with a good car for a good price. Remember that the next TB change should be done by an expert, and you might as well give some business to a fellow Texan by getting the deluxe TB kit from Dieselgeek.com.

I can't tell you what to do about the intake cleaning, or whether the AC can be rejuvenated with a shot of refrigerant. Only that any TDI-related issues that you can't handle yourself should be delegated to one of the TDI experts. Unfortunately for you, Runonbeer has gone off to Alaska for six months -- I guess he spends six months in Austin and six months in the frozen north. But there's one or two other guys not that far from you... Mach1 is nearby I think, in Spicewood.
'03 Golf with 735k miles: Bosio DLC 764, GT1749VB, PP 2.5" downpipe, Malone tuning, VR6/G60 clutch/flywheel, Bilstein HDs, Recaros, Akebono pads/Brembo rotors, Cat filter with Nicktane head, DG Panzer w/FMJ, Blizzaks, TDT or Delvac1
Like TDI Club? Got PayPal? Got $1 or $5 or $10? Contribution link on the main page.
TornadoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2009, 22:16   #767
everyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoRed
Unfortunately for you, Runonbeer has gone off to Alaska for six months -- I guess he spends six months in Austin and six months in the frozen north. But there's one or two other guys not that far from you... Mach1 is nearby I think, in Spicewood.
Yeah I spoke with him right before he left. I had planned on turning it over to him when he got back for the TB. I should be at about 120K at that time. What I'm debating is whether I should dig into the intake and get that taken care of now, or whether it would be easier to just wait until that time. I'm not scared of the job, I just don't like doing stuff twice. I'm not sure how much duplicate work there is between a TB job and a manifold cleaning. Lord knows I have enough other projects to deal with. I wouldn't lose sleep over not doing it right now
everyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2009, 04:51   #768
DanG144
Veteran Member

Do the intake cleaning yourself, as soon as you can.

Then buy or borrow a VCDS and check out your MAF, you are right, you may save $100 by cleaning the intake first.

Verify that your radiator fans both come on when you turn on the AC. More details here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=242699

It also sounds as if your turbo vanes may be frozen and the control section of the turbo needs to be gone through. You will have more of an idea on this after cleaning the intake manifold. Or you could simply watch the turbo vanes move (about 1/2 inch) from car off to idle, if you do not want to wait. There is also a good test in Basic Settings (block 11, I think) for your ALH that fully cycles the turbo controls.
DanG144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2009, 12:14   #769
mauriTDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: keep every single receipt (just in case)

I have a basic question, which being at least somewhat capable of working on cars, i feel stupid asking it. Plus i've searched the site and found no clear instruction. How do i remove the plastic cover that covers the engine?? I feel like it's going to brake when i pull on the sides? What's the method? I just wanna take a look at where the oil and fuel filters are and be nosy thanks
mauriTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2009, 14:40   #770
rdkern
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: A4 = wife drives it, don't know

Mauri - it would be nice to include the car you have. Why not put it in your signature?. My 97 Passat needs to have three nuts taken off. I don't have any clue about your 2009 JSW. Others should chime, however.
Old May 21st, 2009, 20:13   #771
DesmoTull

Just wanted to say hello from Massachusetts!

I just traded my '06 GTI for a new Jetta TDI. I love it! I'm looking forward to doing a few choice mods!

I can already tell that I won't be missing the premium gas and associated MPGs from the GTI.

Cheers,

Tull
DesmoTull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2009, 09:27   #772
Elfnmagik
Veteran Member

mauri, if it is an '09 there are four points near each corner that have rubber grommet/stalk connections. Grab the cover with both hands near a corner and give a solid upward pull. The corner should 'pop' up. Repeat at each corner. To reinstall, place the cover back on loosely, aligning the cutout for the oil cap and press down hard at each corner.
Old May 25th, 2009, 15:14   #773
Gavin.NI

TDI(s): 02 Jetta TDI

Just wanted to say hello from Northern Ireland!

I Have an 02 Jetta PD 100 (ATD) with some interesting mods which I'll detail in the jetta/bora section.

Cheers...
Gavin.NI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 19:44   #774
slung

Default Source(s) for oil/oil filters

Looking for good source(s) local (eastern PA) or on-line for oil and oil filters. Anybody have any recommendations?
Thanks
slung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2009, 01:49   #775
honeytiff

TDI(s): '98 Jetta
Question Should I get another Jetta TDI? PLEASE HELP!!

Hi - I'd love some advice!!
I had a '98 Jetta TDI a few years ago because I wanted to drive on biodiesel. I loved the car, but I'm not sure it loved me - I had lots of mechanical problems with it - one thing after another and it seemed like it was in the shop more than out of it - some of this was not the car's fault as a rodent got in and tried to take up residence and chewed up a bunch of wiring before I got rid of it (the rodent), but lots of other things broke randomly and (for me) expensively. I am not a mechanic (nor do I plan on becoming one, but there are a couple of excellent VW mechanics locally).
I started to feel like an idiot for owning it when I kept having to have it towed and borrow friends' cars. The clincher was when I had to replace a pricey fuel injection pump right at Chistmas time when I didn't need the extra large expense (they told me that there was a warped part and that it wasn't from the biodiesel).
I ended up fixing everything and selling the car.
Since then I've been driving an old Mercedes 300D Turbo Diesel that runs like a tank and is barely ever in the shop.
Soon, though, I'm going to start commuting regularly for a few years, and would love to pass the Mercedes on to my 16-year-old and get another car. I've been really wanting another Jetta, and really love to use Biodiesel (there's a great Green Station here in town). The gas mileage seems much better, they're zippier and nicer and newer than what I've been driving - I'll also need air conditioning where I'm going and my Mercedes AC went a while ago.
I'm concerned however that, while the Jetta's diesel engine will go forever, the rest of the car may be high maintenance and falling apart like my other one. I'd like to think that my old one was just a lemon, or that '98 was not a good year, but I've been hearing lately that they may not age well and that some other people have had similar experiences to mine and that it'd be better to get something else that's better put together. If I get one, it will be a '01 -'03 sedan. I'm just not sure whether I should be getting one at all, or if it's wiser to stick with something else...
If I were willing to stick with gas, then I'd probably just get a Honda or Toyota and be done with it, but I'm commited to biodiesel. I'd love to think that the Jetta TDI would be the best choice for me, but have begun to wonder if I should be looking into getting another Mercedes, or...?
I'd love any info or advise or assistance with this decision!
Thanks!
honeytiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2009, 07:39   #776
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

Honeytiff, You mentioned that there are a couple good VW mechanics in town, maybe you should talk with them. Gauge their enthusiasm -- if one is fired up about TDIs, has one or wants to get one for himself, is eager to talk about them, encourages you to go ahead and get one, then that is a good sign. That person will want to learn how to care for them.

But if you can't find someone like that locally, then unfortunately you should probably look at some other vehicle. If none of the local mechanics want to work on TDIs, then they will not bother to learn about them. And you do not want to be dependent on a VW dealership -- even if your local dealership is the 1 in 20 or 1 in 50 that's not too bad.
'03 Golf with 735k miles: Bosio DLC 764, GT1749VB, PP 2.5" downpipe, Malone tuning, VR6/G60 clutch/flywheel, Bilstein HDs, Recaros, Akebono pads/Brembo rotors, Cat filter with Nicktane head, DG Panzer w/FMJ, Blizzaks, TDT or Delvac1
Like TDI Club? Got PayPal? Got $1 or $5 or $10? Contribution link on the main page.
Old May 31st, 2009, 10:17   #777
Cappy

TDI(s): 2006 Jetta
Default 2006 Jetta Stutter/stumble/shudder......??

Howdy folks !
I'm new here and new to VW TDI's. My GF has a 2006 TDI Jetta and she's been driving it around Miami FLA very conservatively. Well i drove it up here to NJ and found out that ,i cant drive it like that and that every time i try and get into it (under heavy acceleration) it starts to stumble and shudder pretty bad. My thoughts are that it could be a sensor or the fuel filter. But like i said im very new to TDI's so any help is appreciated !!
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2009, 20:51   #778
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

Hi Cappy. Start a new thread in TDI 101, with as much information as you have.
Old June 1st, 2009, 03:01   #779
Cappy

TDI(s): 2006 Jetta

OK thank you sir
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2009, 12:43   #780
mauriTDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: keep every single receipt (just in case)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesmoTull
Just wanted to say hello from Massachusetts!

I just traded my '06 GTI for a new Jetta TDI. I love it! I'm looking forward to doing a few choice mods!

I can already tell that I won't be missing the premium gas and associated MPGs from the GTI.

Cheers,

Tull
Hey there!! any advice or suggestions on modifications that you'll be doing would be appreciated. Starting with the least expensive first.. I have an 09 Jetta... thanks.