TDIFest 2014 -Looking for Expressions of Interest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Tobin

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI

Hey bud,

Sorry I haven't called yet... I've been swamped and haven't had time to have a conversation about it yet... I'll probably be able to call next week...

I was thinking about the TDIFests compared to other automotive events I attend and I think I have realized the major difference...

At most events I attend the vehicles and vehicle related activities are the MAIN focus of the event, the participants and spectators are there to do or see the automotive thing they are interested in, be it sled pull, dyno, drag race or show-n-shine or a combination of them. The participants are pushing their vehicles to get the most out of whatever category it is and the spectators are eager to watch and likely have a similar vehicle in the parking lot... and the social aspect comes from the camaraderie in the pits, grandstands or simply walking around observing the show/event. There are typically large vendor areas where show vehicles and products are on display with spectators and participants milling about as well... Before and after the events the large crowds camp or stay at a hotel of their choosing and choose to get together in the parking lots or at the event after the official event ends for more partying and such...

On the other hand, at the TDIFest the focus seems to be more on the location and regional activities than the automotive attractions. There is a big emphasis on the seminars, the semi-formal dinner/awards banquet/auction and such and the automotive aspects seem to be limited to the show-n-shine and a drive around the area as well as the vendors and their latest and greatest products.

Personally when I attend automotive related events I would rather spend my time involved in the automotive aspects like the racing or show-n-shine and checking out new products. I consider the place I am staying (hotel/motel or other) just that, a place to sleep between days of automotive activities and therefor not at all critical to the event as long as it is clean and safe... I guess that is where I am most different from the vocal majority of TDIClubbers... I don't mind being out in the sun all day checking out the cars, trucks or whatever doing their thing and don't need to go back to a hotel room and shower/change clothes several times a day, I want to be in the thick of things and don't feel that I need a break from the action to refresh myself... I both observe and participate as much as possible with any events I go to. My TDI has drag raced and dynoed against much bigger and more powerful diesel trucks and cars on a regular basis and I enjoy the fun. I also cover the events and try to help our magazine readers see what they missed so they can try to make it out to the next one, helping the event and the industry continue to grow. This is what I would like to help do for the TDI Club and TDIFest as well...

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Mind you, much of the TDI crowd is not interested in competing, they're interested in fuel economy. You certainly get the go-fast crowd, but they're a small cross-section.

Then again, the hybrid crowd has fuel economy competitions. You could do a Vetter Challenge-like event, where cars line up at a fuel tanker, are fueled, the door sealed, and then driven along a route with maximum and minimum pace setters. Then, at the end of the route, the door is unsealed, and the car is refueled to maximum to verify the fuel used.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Yeah I'd say it's a 50/50 social/automotive split. We're definitely interested in the automotive aspects, but more from technical, engineering, and educational aspects than competition. That said, we've certainly had competitive events in the past are we're open to doing them again in the future - but the competition gets working in around the other activities, rather than being the main focus of the event.

I looked into doing a dyno at last year's Fest, but we couldn't get it solidified due to a number of logistical and financial reasons. We could look into doing it again this year, as the logistics are conducive to doing it (available space and nearby 3-phase electricity), but we have to work out the financials. Definitely something to think about.

Chris, give me a call anytime... I'm happy to talk about whatever whenever. We're always open to trying new things and growing TDIFest bit by bit. :)

-Lawson

PS: I hope you can make it up to Maine this year to check everything out and participate. :cool:

Last edited:

NickyG751

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI 6-spd
I like the idea of Denver fest, and I would certainly attend, but unfortunately could only have a small commitment to planning. But....

I know somebody looked into hotels in Vail and Aspen but, where I live, about 90 mins west of Denver in Summit County (30 mins east of Vail, 90 mins east of Aspen), the hotels are throwing away rooms during the summer, we have some of the best driving in the country (I see test vehicles constantly, including the McClaren 12c Spider piloted by Rhys Millen in January and a Porsche 918 tester this spring), and the high temp all time is 88F :cool:

While not Vail and Aspen, Summit is home to Breckenridge, Keystone, Copper Mountain and Arapahoe Basin resorts. All of these are world class and have many hotels which will be selling rooms for cheap, some have conference centers. I fell like the more relaxed nature of TDIclubbers would be stimulated in high altitude mountain air and winding mountain roads.

I could certainly have a large part in Summit County fest (if there's any interest) and a smaller one in a Denver or Denver-area fest. I see absolutely no reason why you couldn't get Denver-area vendors and enthusiasts...many festivals and gatherings happen here and it seems like most participants (vendors etc) are from Denver, Boulder, and CO Springs anyway. The way I see it, put the fest in a beautiful location that people want to go to and drive around.

The roads here can't be beaten anywhere in the world. Independence Pass, Loveland Pass, Berthound Pass, and Hoosier Pass are all fantastic drives of varying lengths, some top out as high as 12,000 ft. Each as beautiful as the next. Here's a quick taste I found of Rhys Millen on Loveland and a time lapse drive of Independence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaOU-tIoZAE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RJTfLzPFgo

CoJoNEs

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf; 2015 Golf
Chris, just wanted to jump in and offer my $.02

TDIFest is what the organizers make it, personally I would love to have more vehicle and vehicle related activities, it just hasn't historically been the biggest part of the format. I've heard feedback from some less active TDIClub members that TDIFest isn't fun for them because they don't understand all the nuances of the event and don't care about all the social interaction. In that respect I think you could pull off a very unique experience with the little I read in your last few posts.

I would love to see you put a proposal together and make it outside the box of past events. Making it a bit more open to the public to show off what our little cars can do would be exciting. I'd be glad to offer some help if necessary as I've coordinated the registration and planning for two prior TDIFests. A proposal is necessary though and you need to work with VeeDubTDI to get the format they require to start the process. It's not that hard, just requires doing homework and planning before a commitment is made.

Chris Tobin

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
Sounds good, I'll get with VeeDub TDI and you when I get caught up on my articles...

Later,
CT

Chris, just wanted to jump in and offer my $.02

TDIFest is what the organizers make it, personally I would love to have more vehicle and vehicle related activities, it just hasn't historically been the biggest part of the format. I've heard feedback from some less active TDIClub members that TDIFest isn't fun for them because they don't understand all the nuances of the event and don't care about all the social interaction. In that respect I think you could pull off a very unique experience with the little I read in your last few posts.

I would love to see you put a proposal together and make it outside the box of past events. Making it a bit more open to the public to show off what our little cars can do would be exciting. I'd be glad to offer some help if necessary as I've coordinated the registration and planning for two prior TDIFests. A proposal is necessary though and you need to work with VeeDubTDI to get the format they require to start the process. It's not that hard, just requires doing homework and planning before a commitment is made.

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
All right folks, what's the heck's going on in here? I've not paid attention since 2013 was declared to be a million miles from me and I don't feel like disecting 100 posts with possible drama....

Has anyone been talking about ST Louis? I've created an activity for me to contribute to the repertoire as part of some spear-headed-by-some-else competant Fest-team.....:rolleyes:

This has been my attempt to stay tuned in and maybe stir up some **** :eek:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
The discussions right now are about Denver (or thereabouts), Colorado, for which there is already a team of people developing, and Chattanooga, Tennessee, which is still a pipe dream at this stage in the game.

I personally would like to see the Tennessee bid take shape for 2015, which will provide ample time to make arrangements with VWoA, the factory in Chattanooga, etc. I think this would be a spectacular location, but I'd like to give it a little more time to develop as well as giving us a little more time to get the back end operations streamlined and work on increasing attendance and awareness of the event. I'd hate to jump into the "holy grail" without having all of our ducks in a row. :)

Just my $0.02

St. Louis is HOT on Labor Day (at least it was last year). Any chance we could rent out the City Museum? That place ROCKS! ;)

Last edited:

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
The discussions right now are about Denver (or thereabouts), Colorado, for which there is already a team of people developing, and Chattanooga, Tennessee, which is still a pipe dream at this stage in the game.

I personally would like to see the Tennessee bid take shape for 2015, which will provide ample time to make arrangements with VWoA, the factory in Chattanooga, etc. I think this would be a spectacular location, but I'd like to give it a little more time to develop as well as giving us a little more time to get the back end operations streamlined and work on increasing attendance and awareness of the event. I'd hate to jump into the "holy grail" without having all of our ducks in a row. :)

Just my $0.02

St. Louis is HOT on Labor Day (at least it was last year). Any chance we could rent out the City Museum? That place ROCKS! ;)
I see your $0.02, and raise you 2 more.

Thanks for that shrewd summary. :cool: Denver, eh? Could be farther, I guess. ;)

I respect your forethought into pragmatic progress regarding an epic Chattanooga adventure with VWoA.

Let me tell you about St. Louis weather, it is straight-up wack! Last 4th weekend was 100+ temps for almost 2 weeks. This year: 60-79 and rainy! It's is IMPOSSIBLE to plan for, around here you just do what you want, and hope it works out. Heck, if there ain't none o them tornaders it's no big deal! ;) Fall usually breaks first week of September, last summer was pretty hot compared to the last few years, we could be lucky.

As far as City Museum, I think it's just a question of money and connections! :D (BTW, I have neither!)

Back to NoogaFest, sometimes I think the marketers at VWoA are missing a trick not giving the TDIClub more attention and kickbacks. Sure it's full of die-hard complainers, but so many stick around to the core anyway. Seems like a little more romance with your crazy faithful customer base would go so much further for the buck then things like 3 million dollar Superbowl commercials. Then they could market that loyalty reputation into increasing the flock. Oh well, not my job. :rolleyes:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Right on the money! Like I have said before, I'm game for whatever... let's see some ideas! :)

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Need for them to finish the GIUK Gap bridge (along with the section to Canada) first! :D

dzlrunner

TDI
1997 B4 Passat Sedan
Saw some interest in the western states, Nevada would be awesome! Would love to get to go to a TDIfest. Vegas, Reno/Carson city area, Even Sacremento!! Just my 2cent

crshd69

TDI
2006 Jetta
Tennessee would be awesome, pending the fact that VWoA would be involved, and i mean really involved like headlining the event. show and shine, dynos, etc. at the factory. tours and seminars lead by engineers and other pertinent VW personnel. I mean it is only fair right that they give back to this huge, loyal community.

well we can dream cant we?

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Denver, CO; San Diego, CA; Vancouver, BC; or anywhere else between 95 & 130 degrees WEST longitude.

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
Has anyone mentioned Denver yet? :)

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
Denver several times. BUT perhaps we should focus on the current year..

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Denver several times. BUT perhaps we should focus on the current year..
That is a DIFFERENT thread; this thread is to get interest going for next year. I have absolutely no interest in going across the country again and it is time to have a more equitable distribution of locations. The western areas of these United States, and Canada are woefully under-represented, ESPECIALLY that of Canada: Out of 14 events, only 2 have been in the western U.S. and NONE in western Canada. I would actually prefer Victoria or Vancouver, followed by Banff and Calgary over Denver.

Last edited:

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
Actually it is under:Sub-Forums : Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions.

Equitable distribution is directly related to members putting forth a team and the effort to make happen.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Equitable distribution is directly related to members putting forth a team and the effort to make happen.
This. Fests happen in the West when folks step up and organize, propose, and make it happen. It's difficult to do that when you're not local. It is ironic to me that a key member of the Portland Fest team a couple years ago is from New England. :D

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Then I guess the vast majority of TDIs are sold in the eastern U.S.! :D

Of course California's anti-diesel stance didn't/doesn't help. :(

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Then I guess the vast majority of TDIs are sold in the eastern U.S.! :D

Of course California's anti-diesel stance didn't/doesn't help. :(
No, but apparently the vast majority of people willing to work together to organize a fest are in the eastern U.S.

Near the beginning of this thread I tried to drum up interest in a Southwest TDIFest (the only part of the country where there has never been a TDIFest). It's still too hot here in LV in early Sept, so I suggested LA, San Diego, Flagstaff, Albuquerque or anyplace else. I got ZERO response, so I joined in with the Denver committee. At least it is within a one day drive of where I live. California's "anti-diesel" stance has nothing to do with it. It's all about getting some California people interested in doing the work necessary to organize a fest. If you want to work on this, there are a number of experienced people who would be willing to help (unfortunately, I'm not one of them - maybe after Denver?).

Have Fun!

Don

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I think it has to do with a high concentration (density) of members in the East, whereas the West has some wiiiide open spaces. Having just done my first coast-to-coast trip, I was amazed by the great expanse of land between things resembling civilization west of the Mississippi.

That being said, I think western Fests can have amazing turn-outs, as Portland clearly demonstrated. :)

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I beg to differ as BANNING the sale of diesel vehicles for 3-4 years didn't help increase ownership and general populace knowledge. :D

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think it has to do with a high concentration (density) of members in the East, whereas the West has some wiiiide open spaces. Having just done my first coast-to-coast trip, I was amazed by the great expanse of land between things resembling civilization west of the Mississippi.

That being said, I think western Fests can have amazing turn-outs, as Portland clearly demonstrated. :)
Yeah, and you went across on I-90. I-80, I-70, US-50, I-10 are even more mind-numbing. The funny thing is that I-70 in Kansas and eastern Colorado seem worse than I-80 in Wyoming & Nebraska.

I didn't get my Jetta until July 2011, so I missed the Portland event.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
It's wide open in Texas also. If I were to take a trip to meet TDI club members in Fort Worth, then head over to El Paso to meet some, I would drive about 1100 miles (one way). :eek:

The biggest concentration of TDI drivers here is in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. Us Houston folks are 250 - 300 miles south.

Chris Tobin

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
Chattanooga!!!! FTW!!!

a) VW Plant
b) 1/8-mile drag strip
c) Tail of the Dragon Hwy 129 for scenic drive!!!
d) shopping/family stuff like aquarium, Rock City, Hidden Lake and more for Family and other activities before/during or after
e) less expensive hotels
f) TDIFest in Chattanooga will get National Magazine coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.