The 300k mile club!

edge8846

TDI
2004 Jetta GLS BEW
We have an '04 Jetta just turned over 350k, still runs pretty good. having some issues with it acting like it's running on three cyclinders, we stop turn it off and let it set for a minute or two and fire it back up and it runs fine, have had one FI replaced. Trying to diagnose it ourselves. Best care we have ever had:)

SmoothVW

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 99 Beetle TDI
311k and going. hard to start though. Can anyone point me to a thread on the hard starting diagnostics?

Leftygolfer

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
2000 Jetta TDI 5 speed Manual 307,000 miles. I bought it new to commute 100 miles daily to Washington, D.C. Kept track of mileage for the first 200,000 and averaged 51. Do most maintenance and repairs myself after catching the dealer sabotaging the car when it was brought in for a warranty repair--they drained the power steering fluid then claimed that the pump failed and needed replacement. That was 11 years ago and that pump still works perfectly. Still operating with the original clutch. Never heard of a car going over 300,000 miles on one clutch, but I can't discern any difference from when it was new. Never had an engine problem. Replaced the starter, radiator, headlight assembly, alternator, and one window regulator, but it has been mostly trouble free during the 14 years I have owned it. Thinking about replacing the windshield do to nicks and all the years of it being sandblasted on highways. Think about buying a new one, usually after a bulb burns out, but this old Jetta just runs so well I can't get rid of it. No rust but the clear coat is failing.

20bugsys

TDI
2009 A4 Avant 2.0T, 1996 1Z TDI swap in a Syncro, Modified 1969 Standard Beetle, Original Condition 1960 Deluxe Beetle
Hello. I'm driving this car 135 miles a day. I've had it since 220,000 miles. Rolled it over 300k last week. Recently replaced the crank sensor. Before that, charge pipe orings to solve boost leak issues. Car runs great and I don't baby it.

BCFP

TDI
2009 JSW
305K on a 2009 JSW. Still running strong. Figure once I reach 500K I'll start thinking about buying another TDI.

30yeartech

TDI
2005 jetta gls auto
Hi all so I am new to posting .Thanks for the input beetlego my 2005 jetta gls dp tdi auto just turned 304000 mi I got it with 287k it was traded at the vw dealer I work for with trany concerns .after much research I found the 2-3 flair was caused by a shift solenoid that did not cause a fault but was sticking mechanically . I replaced all the shift solenoids with a kit from cobera transmission . now the jatco 5 speed is like new .after new shocks tires and brakes the car runs and drives like new .It is the first vw I have owned and I love it .the original owner wants to by It back now that every thing is fixed .But I like it to much hoping for 500k

Last edited:

countrydan

TDI
2003 beetle, 2013 beetle
490 k on 2003 beetle diesel.

I can't believe it myself! We bought the ugly grey straight drive in late 2002. I drove it 300 miles daily round trip for five years. Then my wife drove it to work daily for a few years before giving it to her son. Since 250 thousand miles since he had it, it has been barely maintained. It has had 1 timing belt and I doubt it gets an oil change once a year/ he does not maintain it. The left window quit working recently and the seats (cloth) look like heck. I looked at the mileage when we visited today and couldn't believe the mileage. poor car.
When it dies, he has been told he will be walking. (won't work and is 47years old).

BCFP

TDI
2009 JSW
Nice nice nice!
You use any additives or biodiesel blend for lubricity?
Just pump in lots and lots of Chevron diesel. I have been happy with the results. Car is running 8-12 hour days and racking 200-600mi depending on where I need to go. Chevron is usually around but if I have to I will use Shell. So far no additives aside from some DieselPurge once when I was having some HPFP issues. Ended up being the pump so that got replaced.

tadurkee

Veteran Member
TDI
none (formerly 2010 JSW DSG)
312,500 on my 2010 JSW DSG, purchased new almost 4 years ago (May 2010). Build date is March 2010. Just paid it off last week..woo hoo! Hoping to get 600K but would be happy with 500K. Just gonna run it til repair bills get to be more than it's worth.

914fan

Veteran Member
TDI
1997, Jetta, Green
97 jetta, 306000, lifetime average 46-48mpg. Still gets low to mid 50s at freeway speeds. Mid to high 50s on long non-stop trips.
Breaks and tires about every 30-40k
Drums shocks struts at 120k
pump leaked from 105-230k
Crank pinned just shy of 300k
Balancer chirped from 120-302k
Replaced ac blower 200k
New rad fan belt 180k
Temp usually runs in the lower third
Still on original clutch.
Needs a paint job
removed the two tubes going to the air cleaner ( from fender and rear of engine) at 50k ( neat growl)

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
312,500 on my 2010 JSW DSG, purchased new almost 4 years ago (May 2010). Build date is March 2010. Just paid it off last week..woo hoo! Hoping to get 600K but would be happy with 500K. Just gonna run it til repair bills get to be more than it's worth.
312,500 in 4 years?! WOW! :cool::eek:

tadurkee

Veteran Member
TDI
312,500 in 4 years?! WOW! :cool::eek:
Just turned over 320,000 last night and it was exactly 4 years ago when I purchased my new JSW. But 80K a year is lower than what my normal average used to be, which was 110K a year. Slowing down as I'm getting older! ;)

MattRabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE TDI, 2014 Beetle TDI, 1981 Rabbit Diesel
I bought my car 13 years ago brand new. It just turned over 300K miles yesterday. It amazes me how well these cars are built.

Here's to more miles!

jgerni

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2006 NB TDI
Just turned 302k on my 2001 Jetta. Have done very little to the drivetrain besides basic maintenance (IP, turbo, clutch all original). I purchased this car from a dealer in 2004 with 48k on the clock. Didn't know much about diesels but learned rather quickly. Been running Rotella T6 since I've owned it.

Still drive it 100+ miles daily...would like to get 500k out of it.

MattRabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE TDI, 2014 Beetle TDI, 1981 Rabbit Diesel
That is awesome Matt - congrats!! (I am >10 years of ownership and still about 22k miles before I get to join this club). What kind of maintenance history, fluids, clutch, etc. for your 2001? Is it German made or Brazil?
In the life of the car, it's needed a clutch and an alternator. It also used to eat MAF sensors before they figured out how to keep them from burning out.

As for fluids, I've used Rotella T6 (5w40) for its whole life every 10K miles.

Other than the above, I've replaced brakes, struts, tires, etc. in the car. Normal maintenance things. The clear is starting to peel, so there's that. I guess it doesn't last forever after all.

It's from Brazil. I was slightly worried about that when I bought it, but I haven't had any major issues with it. So... maybe that's not a bad thing?

volmaniac

Veteran Member
McFadden's Ford, Stones River NMP M'boro, TN
TDI
02 Golf GLS
Thanks Matt and jgerni. I don't think Brazil golfs are bad at all, that is what mine is as well. I was just curious, I thought the 2001s may have been built in Germany. My alternator went out a few years ago too (I think that was because I ran without the bottom "skid" for a while when one of the side shields was broken though). I am on my original clutch and still have the original rear brakes, changed the fronts about a year ago. Diesel on fellas!

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
I have to drive a few more years to hit 500,000 miles. I'm just at 317,000 kilometers.

89s rule

TDI
'05 Passat GL Wagon
I just hit 364,000 bought it a few weeks back with 362K. It will pay for itself in 24 months or less depending on how much I drive. Going from 15mpg to 45 has been wonderful!

dingels75

TDI
02' Jetta TDI 365K, 12' Jetta TDI (gone to VW buyback)
300K on Father's Day

Turned 300K on Father's day with my bike and kayak on the roof on the way home from a beautiful weekend camping on the dunes at Assateague Island on the Maryland shore. I lost the clutch the very next day on the way to work and I haven't had the time to diagnose the failure yet. Oh well, I'll fix that when I'm doing the TB. 02' TDI Jetta, 5-spd manual, original owner, Mobil1 5W-30 every 5K (that's what the VW dealership used and recommended back during the first two years when my oil changes were free), fuel filter every 50K, egr delete, MAF twist, CCV oil catch can, avg 47 mpg commuting and errands around Virginia/MD/DC area, 58 mpg pure highway driving, hasn't been in a shop outside of my own garage since the warranty ran out in 04'. Just ordered the third TB kit. The car is like an old friend! Bought my wife a new TDI Jetta in 12'.

Last edited:

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
BMW Advanced Diesel...2011 BMW 335d
Just turned over 320,000 last night and it was exactly 4 years ago when I purchased my new JSW. But 80K a year is lower than what my normal average used to be, which was 110K a year. Slowing down as I'm getting older! ;)
I just read your post on the other thread, please tell me all about your car, additives, brand of fuel, did you go 283k on original dpf and cat, I need to know, this is awesome...

thebeav

TDI
2013 Golf Wagon Highline
Almost 300k

My 2002 Jetta has 460 km, 287,000 miles, so will join he club before the end of the year. Other than normal stuff, some electrical problems are creeping in. Gig my 2013 JSW waiting in the wings when I retire in December.

tadurkee

Veteran Member
TDI
I just read your post on the other thread, please tell me all about your car, additives, brand of fuel, did you go 283k on original dpf and cat, I need to know, this is awesome...
I bought my JSW specifically for my courier/route driver job. At the time, it had the most cargo space and best mpg of any wagon in it's class. I use whatever diesel is cheapest. Don't use any additives now, but did in the past, like 150K ago. DPF and cat were first replaced under warranty at 25K (found soot in tailpipe and EGR code constantly popping up), and then replaced both again at 283K due to ash volume of 300ml. DMF replaced at 175K, front brake pads at 216K, AC compressor and condensor at 225K, radiator at 258K (pinhole leak), rear pads and rotors at 267K, belt and tensioner at 300K, EGR valve at 316K, front pads and original rotors at 324K.

Timing belt and water pump were replaced at 125K and plan to get those replaced again ASAP. Also need to address body rust (mainly wheel wells) and clear coat bubbling in several places. So my "to do" list is quite costly but hope to get those issues taken care of by years end.

I belong to the "drive it like you stole it" club and plan to keep on driving until the repairs cost more than the car is worth. Hopefully in the 500-600K range.

Geordi

Veteran Member
Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is reall
TDI
14 JSW DSG, 03 Wagon 01M, 400k and IPT performance auto!
... MAF twist,...

I'm at 312k miles right now, swapped in an auto trans with 150k when my original started slipping again when it was supposed to be fully locked at top gear, I suspect the clutch material had finally worn its way off. But I'm fairly certain that I still have most (if not all) the original sensors on this engine, the MAF and the rest don't look too bad, but I remember from my 01 TDI that if the MAF is unhappy... Codes aren't really generated until it is completely dead.

edit: Never mind, I found it (amazingly enough) with the search tool. Usually takes a lot longer, if the search even returns anything useful.

Last edited:

RT1

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf 1.9 TDI w/tiptronic 09A
Just rolled over 300,000 mile on Saturday. Time for a new belt kit! This is my first TDI which I purchased used with 19,000 miles on the odometer. I've been religious about the maintenance
schedule and the fluids. I've used Pentosin 5W-40 oil since purchase and have stuck with the OEM fluids for other things. Only major snaffu has been the transmission solenoids for the 09A transmission which went goofy at 270K; not unexpected. Oh, and the in-tank fuel pump at 250K which left me stranded in the middle of an intersection, also not totally unexpected. Everything else has been wear items like shocks/struts, brakes, wheel bearings, alternator pulley, battery and wiper blades. I won't count the windshield in the case of "moving car meets flying rock". And tires, about a dozen of them. One oddity was the cabin fan burning out but even that was an easy replacement

I would say it's exceeded my expectations. People looked at me like I had two heads when I bought a VW. And clearly thought I had lost it when I told them it was diesel. "VW's have such a bad reputation!" they would say (not understanding the difference between shady dealers with poorly trained mechanics and a poorly constructed car). It's been the perfect car for me. Small enough to zip around the city but big enough to load up at Home Depot. Easy for a shade tree mechanic with modest ability to repair. In all honesty I still miss my Isuzu pick-up which I had to give up at 500,000 miles when there were too many holes in the rust holding the truck together. If any company brings a small diesel truck stateside I'll be in line but I'll be happy to keep this one running until then.

Last edited: