Steering column play

otm646

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 AHU Jetta.
I just picked up a 98 Jetta. The steering wheel has noticeable play when pushing back and forth with your hands at 12 and 6.

It has less but still noticeable play while pushing back and forth with your hands at 3 and 9.

There is a tactile click as you pass center on the wheel

The steering wheel is tight to the column. It is as if a bearing in the column is bad.

This is steering column problem, not front end related.

The height adjustment mechanism is working properly and holds tight.

ETKA shows there is a bearing in the steering column near the firewall.

anyone had experience replacing this bearing? or fixing a similar issues.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
otm646 said:
The steering wheel has noticeable play when pushing back and forth with your hands at 12 and 6. It has less but still noticeable play while pushing back and forth with your hands at 3 and 9.
I need help with the descriptions
Pushing forward at 12 while pulling back at 6, then alternating to pull at 12 and push at 6?
Or pushing at both 12 and 6 simultaneously, then pulling back?
Or lifting up at 12 and 6 and alternately pressing down at 12 and 6, with the 9 and 3 positions being used to attempt shake or push (not steer) left and right?

Then you go on with "past center" and "as if the bearing in the column is bad" implying that you are having problems with turning the steering wheel and it appears to bind.

You need to narrow the motion description.
Vertical freeplay might be due to the tilt mechanism not clamping tightly of the clamp mount being loose. Binding as the steering wheel is spun might be due to wear in one or the other joints (like universals) that change the column angle to the pinion angle. If the resistance increases as the steering wheel is rotated and decreases as the wheel continues to one full 360 degree rotation (or maybe at 180) I'd suspect one or both lower universal joints.

Last edited:

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
This isn't the tilt mechanism. (I've seen the car too). Basically if you pull on the wheel there is play and you can hear it click. I belive Tom means pushing and pulling with both hands at once.

-J

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
A loose shear-head bolt that clamps the aluminum upper bearing/ignition switch housing to the steering column (NOT the tilt clamp) will allow the steering wheel to be rocked with hands in the 6 and 12 position. This is very common on A3/B4s. Replace it with a conventional capscrew and lockwasher.

Last edited:

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
I was looking at the car today, and found the problem: the "steering column bearing" at the base of the column. It is a tapered bearing that is held in place by a spring. In this car the bearing has slipped past the spring for some reason, we'll know more when it gets taken apart.

It's number 5 in this diagram:

-J