Buying question on 2012 TDI Wagon

captaintofuburger

TDI
03 Golf TDI | 2014 JSW
I've had a decent amount of VWs in the past, my DD is a mk4 Golf which I am currently getting a lot of work done to. Right now I am carless, and my fiance wants a new TDI. She drives a crap box exploder, and I am thinking about buying a mk6 wagon for her, so I can take the exploder in the time being.

I looked at a local dealer, one who I have bought several VWs through in the past, and they have a nice looking 2012 CPO with 24k on the clock for a good price. On their site it says with the CPO apparently comes with a 2 year warranty with unlimited mileage.

First, does this have something to do with diesel-gate? I've never seen a CPO from VW with unlimited miles on the warranty. Or is this something the dealer is doing do you think? I'm not about to get excited over a 3rd party "extended warranty", in the past I have only been burned by those and were a total waste of money.

My second worry is the HPFP system. I have a feeling if I ask the dealer about it, they will just give me the general "Oh yeah that's covered! everything is covered!" blanket statement. Then if something does go wrong, they will blame the fuel etc and give me a $8k invoice for the repair. Would is be dick-ish/unreasonable (especially with a CPO car) to ask for something additional in writing that the HPFP system will be covered?

I do have pretty good standings with this dealer, I have bought several cars from them, and when it comes to factory warranties have never had an issue.

Edit: This is the link for the car, please no one steal it from me haha. I'm going to take a look at it tomorrow. https://www.burnsvillevw.com/certif...ortwagen-472af89b0a0e0ae8572324ccae27663c.htm

Last edited:

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Someone just replied to your other question....

You pretty much have nothing to worry about.

QUOTE=IndigoBlueWagon;5441878]HPFP is covered under the emissions warranty.[/QUOTE]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

captaintofuburger

TDI
03 Golf TDI | 2014 JSW

QUOTE=IndigoBlueWagon;5441878]HPFP is covered under the emissions warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Ah yeah, I was on that thread but didn't want to hijack it for my own buying questions so I thought I would start another thread.

How long does that warranty last for? I'll ask when I get up to the dealer, but going in more informed it always better.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
11 years or 160K miles (I think) from original date in-service, or 4 years, 48K miles from your purchase, whichever is greater.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
10 years/120k miles for 2009-14 TDI, 2015 gets 11 years/164k miles.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
Edit: This is the link for the car, please no one steal it from me haha. I'm going to take a look at it tomorrow. https://www.burnsvillevw.com/certif...ortwagen-472af89b0a0e0ae8572324ccae27663c.htm

Nice car. I love the blue on black!

I think you should either be able to get them down on cost or find a better deal though since its a 2012. Though it does have low mileage and its CPO. In the spring I paid about $1K more for a 2014 CPO with 43k on the clock.

See below link for info on the emissions warranty. You get a 10 year 120k mile warranty from the in service date. Depending on how many miles you drive it may make sense to get a 2013 or 2014 for some extra warranty. The HPFP already had a 10 year/120k mile warranty before dieselgate (I think).

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=10&ved=2ahUKEwi_vrzPwMfdAhULnlkKHTgLDTwQFjAJegQIBxAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.vwdiesellookup.com%2Fpdf%2FVWCourtSettlement_Emissions_Disclosure_Gen1_Automatic_Final.pdf&usg=AOvVaw0g8pS6UngZK2MZCDl6M3z1

Note: I just spent some time looking up the warranty info again and I'm surprised to see that for Gen 1 cars there is an extra 6 months and 6,000 miles of warranty for manual transmission cars. Weird.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
I got an 2014 JSW with 27k miles buyback vehicle for $15k out of the door.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW

You win. Everything costs more in the northeast. :rolleyes: But I got close to that with 6 MT, new tires, brakes all the way around and in my second choice of color. Super clean car. That nice blue on black would have been my first choice though.

OP, I haven't kept up on the current pricing trends, but the DSG's are more plentiful and the older MY cars should be had for a bit of a discount. I would think you can get OTD for $13.5k on that car even with it being CPO. Glad to see that the market didn't get flooded and collapse right after I bought mine.

captaintofuburger

TDI
03 Golf TDI | 2014 JSW
Nice car. I love the blue on black!

I think you should either be able to get them down on cost or find a better deal though since its a 2012. Though it does have low mileage and its CPO. In the spring I paid about $1K more for a 2014 CPO with 43k on the clock.

See below link for info on the emissions warranty. You get a 10 year 120k mile warranty from the in service date. Depending on how many miles you drive it may make sense to get a 2013 or 2014 for some extra warranty. The HPFP already had a 10 year/120k mile warranty before dieselgate (I think).

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=10&ved=2ahUKEwi_vrzPwMfdAhULnlkKHTgLDTwQFjAJegQIBxAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.vwdiesellookup.com%2Fpdf%2FVWCourtSettlement_Emissions_Disclosure_Gen1_Automatic_Final.pdf&usg=AOvVaw0g8pS6UngZK2MZCDl6M3z1

Note: I just spent some time looking up the warranty info again and I'm surprised to see that for Gen 1 cars there is an extra 6 months and 6,000 miles of warranty for manual transmission cars. Weird.

Yeah I'm actually waiting on a call back from the dealer to see if they still have it. A lot of their inventory is gone and has been shipped out of state. I live about 1.5 hours away from this dealer, so I wanted to call and check to make sure they had it before making the treck up tomorrow.

Based on the prices around here, it's pretty on par. 2012 is about the only thing it has against it for the price. If it was a 13 or 14 it would be gone easy. But... it's the same car, what do I care? Tags are already cheaper for it in my state.

This is really a spur of the moment buy. I'm also waiting for my bank to call me back and cut me a a check for the car loan I need. Trying to get it all done today so I can go up tomorrow.

captaintofuburger

TDI
03 Golf TDI | 2014 JSW

I put a deposit down today (refundable) because I'm still waiting for the bank to get back to me. The other cars I was looking at are all gone now. I honestly don't mind it being a 2012 at all. If anything I'm already on the cheaper side for registration and I would be insurance may be a little less bad (just guessing). My fiance has a horrible driving record, so hopefully, this will help soften the blow a bit.

Unless this car is a complete pile of garbage. All I'm seeing are positives to getting it, especially with our current financial and car situation. I mean crap, I'm dropping maybe.... 6k into my mk4 right now? 8k if I go for a new turbo. You will never take my mk4 away from me though.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Good choice there :) please do call your insurance for a quote. Its the best and safest way to go before purchasing the car. Don’t want surprise coming to you in the insurance billing for each month.

SkiBumJH

TDI
2009 JSW, sold back 11/17, 2012 Jetta Sportwagen
Florida TDI's are cheaper. No doubt.

Bought an 09 in Port Orange and my 12 in Ft, Walton.

12 w/56k white on tan in june for $12,300+ttt.

Cali, I guarantee you I shopped your car from St Augs.

Cycletroll

TDI
2013 Sportwagen manual
I just bought a grey '13 JSW 6spd manual (no sunroof) with 45k miles out of Colorado for $12500+ttl.
New tires one owner CPO and very clean. Got 51 mpg hand calc over 480mi. Home.
Im happy!

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
A well cared for TDI with reasonable miles in good condition and no damage or accident history will hold it's value. Why? In case you have not heard THEY DON'T MAKE THEM ANY MORE... and they are great cars (with some cons but well known and manageable).

I have 105K on my 2010 and it drives nice and is under warranty for another 4 years and 4K from March of this year.... Plus I got a pocket of cash and box full of parts for maintenance (oil, filters, engine and transmission).

Nothing can get 40 to 50 mpg and drives like it has a big V6, so nice....

I watch Motor Week... they do reviews of new cars.... I see nice cars, suv's and trucks... and the mileage per gallon is in the 20's!!! Ouch and none of them really do anything more or better than my JSW does... I recall the cargo area rear seats down (flat floor) is 69 cu ft of cargo area!!!! Some crossover SUV's don't have that room. Give me a break...

Last edited:

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf

QUOTE=IndigoBlueWagon;5441878]HPFP is covered under the emissions warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

A friend of mine had his HPFP take a s#it on him recently in his Mk7. VW replaced it under the CPO warranty, no questions asked, and gave him a nice GLI to have fun with in the meantime.

I'm in the process of buying a CPO myself, so the 24 month unlimited mile warranty is nice, since I'm buying this for a work vehicle (which would bring my household to 6 TDIs).