2006 Jetta TDI limp mode and erratic behavior

turbodieselfanatic

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5 speed manual
My wife has an 06 Jetta TDI 5 speed manual with approximately 130,000 miles. Last week it went into limp mode for the first time and dramatically less power but it would reset by shutting it off and restarting. Check Engine Light finally illuminated and code P0299 was retrieved (low boost). I wasn't too worried about that, and I was waiting on the cable for Ross-techs vag software to diagnose. Well today it seems to have gone into permanant limp mode, it is no long resetting with a restart and the turbo is not heard working at all. The engine sounds like it is misfiring and sounds like it is under a strain all the time. I checked to make sure that the vnt could move by taking a screwdriver and moving the rod up and down on the turbo and it was free and easy to move. The only thing that worries me is the new engine sound, that sounds like a misfire. I am probably gonna have to take it to the dealer to get this checked out, because my wife really needs the car to go to work and I am really busy with work and don't have a whole lot of time to mess with it. I would pull the turbo and clean the vanes but it seems to be free. I have also checked for cracked or broken vacuum lines, but haven't found any yet. Are there any suggestions that anyone would have, or someone around Lexington or Louisville KY that has the software and knows how to use it well to diagnose. I work on a lot of engines, diesel and gas, but am new to the vw systems and would love to learn.

turbodieselfanatic

TDI
I will try and contact him. I took it to the dealer this morning and they are already over $300 in diagnosis work. They are claiming it is a worn cam, lifters, timing belt and also they think the water pump should be replaced. The total they gave me was $3521. I am really not wanting to put this kind of money into the car, at 129,000 miles. It doesn't seem like the cam would be the problem to me, seems more like an injector problem, due to the engine smoking light grey while traveling down the road. Any ideas?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Read here a bit and you will see the cam is a known about issue for some. Contact the link above and get it away from the dealer.

Windjammer

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 & Mk5
turbodieselfanatic said:
I will try and contact him. I took it to the dealer this morning and they are already over $300 in diagnosis work. They are claiming it is a worn cam, lifters, timing belt and also they think the water pump should be replaced. The total they gave me was $3521. I am really not wanting to put this kind of money into the car, at 129,000 miles. It doesn't seem like the cam would be the problem to me, seems more like an injector problem, due to the engine smoking light grey while traveling down the road. Any ideas?
The cam drives the injectors. If you didn't do the timing belt at 100,000 miles, then yes it's overdue. Also, no maybes on the water pump or the rollers. Get the car to paramedick & don't let the dealer do the work. It sounds to me like your car needs a couple thousands dollars worth of work & it'll be like new again. You're car is just getting broke-in at 129,000.

turbodieselfanatic

TDI
Yeah after doing some research, it seems like cams are a common problem for these cars. That seems like a design flaw to me, I have seen old sbc 350s go over 300,000 on the stock cam before having to be replaced.

I believe the car needs a new flywheel as well, sometimes when it is setting in heavy traffic it will shake the whole car a little, until you give it some throttle or put it in gear and take off.

Does it seem right that the cam also caused the low boost condition that lead to limp mode the week before, it would run great for the first bit of any trip, but if you hit a hill that put a load on the car, it would go into limp mode and have no power.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
When the cam/followers go, the car starts running badly from what I have read. It may or may not of set the code. Fix the DMF as well, if it grenades it can take the tranny or engine parts with it. They are very expensive too.