Race pipe with anti shutter

miatamike203

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 jetta Tdi
Race pipe with anti shudder

So i work for a company that lets me use all there equipment and machines. Ive been contemplating building a race pipe with a working like factory anti shutter valve. I would be more willing to design and build for most TDI models as long as i can get my hands on an egr to measure so i can build a model in solidworks.
Here is some stuff i built in solidworks and then made.

Here is a cylinder head i modded for a friend lemons miata. We took .045 off the head and i opened the combustion chambers so that the valves would be de-shrouded. car picked up 36whp and 23wtq.

Last edited:

miatamike203

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 jetta Tdi
Nice work!
Is that a grizzly bench mill I see?
No its a prototrak trak k3 emx with x,y CNC. We also have 2 cnc lathes and 2 enclosed 3 axis cnc mills. The for welding we have a 400amp tig, 2 lathe tigs, 5 CNC laser welders and 2 60Kv electron beam welders.

chaoscreature

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Special Edition
I was way off! I saw the green and the spindle stop and got excited that someone could do that kind of work on a little grizzly. I have a little grizzly G0705 in my garage.
What do you guys do? That's awesome they let you use their equipment!

miatamike203

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 jetta Tdi
I was way off! I saw the green and the spindle stop and got excited that someone could do that kind of work on a little grizzly. I have a little grizzly G0705 in my garage.
What do you guys do? That's awesome they let you use their equipment!
We make fluid level, flow, pressure and temp measuring instruments. We also do a lot of specialty welding for a ton of companies. Some jobs we weld diaphragms that are .005" to a .500"-.750" thick mount.

http://www.solutionswithinnovation.com/ here's our website.

Hyde7278

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GL
I have a EGR valve if you want it. I'm in MI but will be in CT (Stratford) the weekend of the 10th. PM me if you want it. It's for a ALH motor.

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
I have EGR piping and the valve and such that I've removed from my '03 ALH that you can use for measurements. Let me know, I'm in NY.

miatamike203

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 jetta Tdi
I have EGR piping and the valve and such that I've removed from my '03 ALH that you can use for measurements. Let me know, I'm in NY.
Thanks but Hyde is going to be the next town over from me in a bit so ill be set with that. Once i get a few made for the ALH and people seem interested i might be inclined to make them for other years as well. Im going to try tonight to get some of it made up in solidworks and have a 3D model i can post up of what i have so far.

I mostly need the parts just so i can get the dimensions for the flange. I have a CMM at work i can use so i can get everything perfect so that the flange is a factory fit even use the factory seal not a POS paper gasket.

miatamike203

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 jetta Tdi
So here is what i have so far, the placement of the ASV butterfly is most likely not 100% correct. It will be changed so that it will work with the factory vacuum actuator once i have a factory EGR to get proper measurements from. This unit is 50mm in OD so it will work with factory intercooler piping.

kiwibru

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2-door, 2k Silver. Red RTDI now gone but not forgotten!
Subscribed...this is an interesting project. Hope you pull it out of the hat and offer them at a cost efficient price!

Machineman

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 RS4 Titanium 3.0TDI & 2013 Touareg TDI & B6 S4 BHW Swap Biturbo
my solution is a making an adapter to mount a bhw asv to a pd130/150 intake manifold

suscribed

miatamike203

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 jetta Tdi
Subscribed...this is an interesting project. Hope you pull it out of the hat and offer them at a cost efficient price!
Im going to try and keep cost down as much as possible and i will be able to offer anodizing as we. Im looking at about a 50-80 price at the moment on everything. Also planning to making the shaft and butterfly out of 17-4 with the H900 heat treat. This will keep the parts corrosion resistant but super strong.

my solution is a making an adapter to mount a bhw asv to a pd130/150 intake manifold

suscribed
If i can get my hands on a BHW ASV i could probably make something to make it bolt up.

Why not just cut off the OEM pipe connector (to get rid of the clips) and weld a straight coupler?
Would require me to start collecting parts for cores vs me just making everything in house but it is still an option. If i wanted to i could even remove all the guts from a factory EGR then weld it up and machine it all smooth.

Cha2ga

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 JSW
I'm running a EGR with the diaphragm cut off and a 1/8npt tapped fitting for boost gauge in the plunger shaft hole. The bottom hole for the egr pipe is fitted with a press fit plug installed with green loctite.

I love your idea as it would be much cleaner but would like a way to attach a 1/8 OD tubing for a boost gauge.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Very cool. I'd take one for sure. Would be nice one for a BEW manifold but that would have to be a weld on unit. Not a big deal for me or others.

miatamike203

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 jetta Tdi
I'm running a EGR with the diaphragm cut off and a 1/8npt tapped fitting for boost gauge in the plunger shaft hole. The bottom hole for the egr pipe is fitted with a press fit plug installed with green loctite.

I love your idea as it would be much cleaner but would like a way to attach a 1/8 OD tubing for a boost gauge.
Very nice, I am planning on having an 1/8" NPT bung either on the pipe its self or on the flange.

Very cool. I'd take one for sure. Would be nice one for a BEW manifold but that would have to be a weld on unit. Not a big deal for me or others.
How come it would have to be a weld on unit?

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Very nice, I am planning on having an 1/8" NPT bung either on the pipe its self or on the flange.

How come it would have to be a weld on unit?
Stock BEW intakes, the EGR portion is one piece, unlike the PD150 where its bolted on. For me, my buddy does welding so that's an easier route then buying a PD150 intake.

Might not be feasible, just throwing it out there, ;)

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
This is a valid project and I'm sure that there will be many on this forum that will
want one when you are in production.
I recommend making a PD130/150 version first. This is a very common upgrade
and most who do opt for a race pipe instead of buying an EGR/ASV as well. I'm in!

miatamike203

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 jetta Tdi
This is a valid project and I'm sure that there will be many on this forum that will
want one when you are in production.
I recommend making a PD130/150 version first. This is a very common upgrade
and most who do opt for a race pipe instead of buying an EGR/ASV as well. I'm in!
I couldn't agree more and im working on either getting a PD150 manifold.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Do you guys really think that a 1/4" rod running dowm the middle of the pipe is causing that much restriction?

Just unplug the vac hose to the egr and bingo, EGR delete!
Dont get me wrong, i love the machine work, but this is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

jptbay

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle, 2006 Jetta Wagon
Do you guys really think that a 1/4" rod running dowm the middle of the pipe is causing that much restriction?

Dont get me wrong, i love the machine work, but this is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.
I think this is a solution for those running a PD130/150 intake, that would like to retain an ASV.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
If this costs the same or less than a PD130 EGR/ASV, it solves a problem for me.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
I just run a pd130 EGR valve.

I bet Ryanp at darkside or Franz could get one to your door for less than $75
I can't see how a you could make one of these for less.

Last edited: