Express Card RS232 serial port for vcds

BobZ

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat tdi, 15 Passat TDI SE auto, 06 Sierra 6.6 DMax
I have a genuine Ross-Tech Key-Com and an old Sony laptop with the RS232 port. However, as old as it is and some of the issues with it - the computer gets extremely hot... I was hoping to try a 34mm Express Card RS232 adapter but I can not get it to recognize the cable. It shows as being installed in Port 4 within device manager. I know Ross-Tech does not support the adapters and I could upgrade (if I were the original owner of the cable) but that is not an option. I have seen where others have had success with drivers using the rs232 to usb. Any help is appreciated - I am running Vista. Otherwise I am stuck with the Sony which gets me by... If you prefer PM me a link to a driver or directions, that's fine too.
Thanks,
Bob

BobZ

Veteran Member
TDI
I'll take it Jef - Thanks for the help. PM me the total and I can Paypal it.

BobZ

Veteran Member
TDI
OK - now I tried a Tripp-Lite Keyspan USA-19HS in hopes that it would work. Claims to be faster than the original PC serial port and it does not recognize it under USB in VCDS 10.6.4. My Sony laptop with the serial port screen has come detached from the hinges so it is very difficult to use. Anyone have some sequence of settings to get it to work?

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Wait, does your laptop actually have PCMCIA?

PCMCIA RS232 adapters can give you a real UART.

ExpressCard RS232 adapters are just USB adapters in a fancy package, usually.

Some laptops have both ExpressCard and PCMCIA (my main, home use only, laptop does,) but most only have one or the other.

BobZ

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes - I tried the 34mm express - couldn't get it to work. The Tripp-Lite did work. I apparently installed the driver while it was attached to the computer. After a restart of the computer, it did work. I was pulling my hair out wondering why it worked for everyone but me. Thanks. I am good to go.

Last edited: