Need more power in my Caravelle 2.5 TDI

Avanti28

TDI
2.5 TDI
I need more power in my 98 Caravelle TDI 102hp ACV when pulling a camper trailer up the hills. I`m sure this is an returning question, and I guess many have good knowledge about this. So what do I do, and what parts do I need, and how much hp can I get from this engine ? 150 to 200hp+ would make me a happy camper. :)

Last edited:

Layerz

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A4 2.5 TDI AKE
Which engine does it have in it?

Also is that 102hp at the wheels or fly? Sounds low for such a vehicle.

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
It's 102 Bhp at the crank, yes it's very low but quite the usual for commercial vehicles ! You can get larger nozzles of full injectors from the audi a6 AEL 140 Bhp engine, volvo or transporter t4 150 Bhp as sold in Europe. With a remap, up to 180 Bhp is within reach...

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
You need to worry about getting fuel in the engine first then the boost to clear that into power ! The old k14 turbocharger will need replacing for sure and the only way to do that is either go hybrid or swap to a VNT turbocharger altogether. It's a bit more work than a simple hybrid upgrade but so much more rewarding !

Avanti28

TDI
2.5 TDI
What size is the Audi A6 and Volvo 140hp nozzles ?

The clutch is still stock, but I guess there will be a need for a stronger unit as the power comes up. Any sugestions ?

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
.216 nozzles work perfect in those, clutch should be fine if in good condition.

Avanti28

TDI
2.5 TDI
What would be the first thing to do, change the nozzles and turn up the boost ? And then a remap ? How hi can I go before I need a bigger turbo ? Is there a direct bolt on turbo to purchase ?

Last edited:

resto1975

Veteran Member
TDI
T4 1.9tdi
Your van will respond well with a good map, about 135 on standard hardware but nozzles and a turbo are the way forward if you want more. I am just building a vnt conversion for a customer should be good for a reliable 160bhp.
Look for eurovan 150bhp turbo and manifolds if you want an off the shelf option, should be reasonably easy to find in Europe just not in the UK ��

Avanti28

TDI
2.5 TDI
Is the 0.216 nozzles the recomended size ? Should I get the AHY/AXG stock injectors or just change nozzles on my ACV injectors ? Is the opening pressure the same on both ? Is the Volvo TDI 140hp injectors an option, what size are those ? If I get the 151hp turbo and manifolds, how far up in power would that take me ?

Last edited:

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
It depends a lot on condition of your engine, the turbo and wear rate on the injectors ! As a general rule, with a gt2052v turbo, t4 150 Bhp manifold and new 0.216 nozzles and a good map you should have no problem getting up to 180Bhp ! Your clutch might suffer a bit if you abuse it but it should be pretty driveable as such ! With larger Bosio race 520 nozzles and a bigger compressor you will go over 220 Bhp...

StephenGray

TDI
T4 California Exclusive 2002
OC.T. Tuning for T4

I need more power in my 98 Caravelle TDI 102hp ACV when pulling a camper trailer up the hills. I`m sure this is an returning question, and I guess many have good knowledge about this. So what do I do, and what parts do I need, and how much hp can I get from this engine ? 150 to 200hp+ would make me a happy camper. :)
Hi There.
I'm also in Norway with a rather heavy California Exclusive.
You can do a legal upgrade with a product from
http://www.oct-tuning.no/
They have places in Lillehammer, and Klepp south of Stavanger.
I have just upgraded my 102HP to about 123HP (93KW).
Its approved by Vegvesen and in the vognkort !
It cost Kr 3500, and they were very helpful.
IF insurance pointed out that they check the ECU program at major accidents, and if the contents do not correspond with the vehicle's manufacturers approved setup, then insurance may not be valid.
They gave me a temporary approval on application to drive until I got to the Vegvesen to have it approved.
Before,... i was down to 3rd gear, 60Km/t and the economy meter showing 28L/100Km for the 4 km climb out of one of the west coast fjord tunnels. (Bomlofjord).
After.. it gets 70% of the way in 5th gear and I just go down to 4th for the last bit, still able to maintain 80Km/t.
The overall measured fuel consumption went from 8.1 L/100 to 7.5L/100 in mine. I have a 2000 California executive which has the long weel base hard top and is 2.3tonnes without load.
Hope this helps.
Stephen