ALH longevity at (x) HP output/how much reliable HP/weak points?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I'm in favor of the larger frame, thats why I talk about swaps to a minitruck.

The 4bt is just so rough and harsh and hard on transmissions from the apparent nature of it's power pulses i'd prefer something else. A highway cruiser needs highway manners to not wear me out from too much driving - the TDI is refined.
Cummins R2.8 crate motor. With all of the money you save buying the engine you can buy a sweet chevy LUV to drop it into. ;)

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
Lots of what ifs so I will put my 2 cents in. If you are looking for a truck get a truck. Towing a fuel mileage can't be together. My 05 golf towing a 2000lb mower (jd 997 diesel zero turn) got 28 mpg. Towing an enclosed dual snowmobile trailer it got about 25 mpg (light with around 1000 in it). What I am saying is even on an empty truck you aren't getting 44 mpg. So get a truck to be a truck and a car as the daily driver for the fuel mileage. My car gets 44 all day long when not towing. My Cummings dodge diesel gets around 15-19 mpg. But it can tow all day long and I don't have to worry about it blowing up. You can find a lot of cheap gas trucks and put a lot of fuel in for the price of putting a tdi in a truck only to not save you on fuel much and really not be great at towing. If you want to do it though do it. But don't justify it for the money savings or fuel savings because it isn't there.

Brother put a Cummins in a Chevy blazer just to say he did it. Not to save money or fuel. Doing the same thing to a Chevelle when time allows. Just have fun and post the build thread if you do it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

midnightoil

Veteran Member
TDI
researching for a TDI highway driver and occasional tow pig
If you are looking for a truck get a truck. Towing a fuel mileage can't be together. My 05 golf towing a 2000lb mower (jd 997 diesel zero turn) got 28 mpg.

My Cummings dodge diesel gets around 15-19 mpg. But it can tow all day long and I don't have to worry about it blowing up. If you want to do it though do it. But don't justify it for the money savings or fuel savings because it isn't there.
That's what i'm doing now, I have a Saturn for highway miles and up to 1200lbs towing, I have the Chevy pickup for more than that. I'm trying to see if there's any way to make one vehicle do the work of two but it might be futile.

The ecomodded Toyota I listed went from what was it 23mpg to 32mpg with just aeromods, I was thinking a diesel swap may very well put it closer to 40mpg highway while still having the ability to tow 5000-6000lbs. That's the unicorn i'm hunting. :p The hope of money/fuel savings is that it would show itself over the next few hundred thousand miles. I'd even been curious about biodiesel, waste oil, veggie oil fuel which would make it pay for itself in a few tens of thousands.

Another desire to do it with one vehicle is that multiple TDI vehilces make less sense than one do it all project. Like if 'waste oil fuel' actually works it pays for itself in (x) time - but not as well if I have to pay for a second swap for the second vehicle. So i'm either trying to make the compact car stretch 'up' (a Jetta towing say 3000lbs instead of my Saturn with 1200lbs, so more jobs can be done with the Jetta) or to make the pickup use stretch 'down' (better MPG so there's less compromise using the truck) and wondering if there's any point where they meet and one can do it all.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
A Crown Vic with the police package would have the brakes and chassis to safely tow 3000 lbs while keeping the aero to get decent mileage. Lots more interior and underhood space than a mini truck too.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
A Crown Vic with the police package would have the brakes and chassis to safely tow 3000 lbs while keeping the aero to get decent mileage. Lots more interior and underhood space than a mini truck too.
I would second that, mid 20's mpg, smooth cruising, good power, few problems other than cooling module on the shroud. Parts available. Ford rep told me the only reason they quit making them is the manufacturing lines wore to the point it was not cost effective to keep going.
If it weren't for the fact Police used them as a multi-purpose tool, we probably would not had to hardly work on them.

midnightoil

Veteran Member
TDI
researching for a TDI highway driver and occasional tow pig
I would second that, mid 20's mpg, smooth cruising, good power, few problems other than cooling module on the shroud. Parts available. Ford rep told me the only reason they quit making them is the manufacturing lines wore to the point it was not cost effective to keep going.
If it weren't for the fact Police used them as a multi-purpose tool, we probably would not had to hardly work on them.
Right, well now you understand why my 'silly' public brainstorming has gone in the directions it has. :^) I already have a Chevy Caprice with a 5.0L that's about the same as the crown vics. 23mpg highway is okay, i've heard of diesel swapped ones getting 31-32mpg going 75mph everywhere because they're pretty aerodynamic. Towing 5000lbs with a trailer package no big deal, it's the official rating with the tow pkg.

My extra bit of crazy was wondering whether an ALH might work in there... because part of the same swap adapters that could put an ALH into an S10 minitruck would put one to that Caprice, still a small block chevy bolt pattern afterall. Then imagine the underhood room to work on things too! :) The frontal area of a Caprice multiplied by coefficient of drag (9.54 sq ft for a 92 wagon, tho mine is a sedan) is actually a little less than an S10 (10.7 sq ft for a 92 Blazer) so I might argue it's a better tow option than an S10, plus I already have one, and so I wonder why not just shove an ALH into a Caprice if i'm just as serious about shoving one into an S10 or Tacoma? :p Or maybe do that first and work out the bugs before eventually finding a nice S10 then reusing the trans adapter and all that?

In one of the other threads I think someone opined maybe I should look at the Mercedes OM6x6 type diesels for a swap if I wanted to stick one into a Caprice or light pickup. It's just i've researched those too and they aren't really much cheaper than a VW TDI. Rebuilt ones still cost north of $5k, used ones are maybe $1200-1500 when I see TDI's for $1500 all day in the junkyards, performance upgrades are certainly no cheaper for an OM6x6 and will cost thousands to safely raise sustained power there... it's a 50% larger displacement but it's older, cruder, and seems no better.

Last edited:

skaude

TDI
7x 1.9tdi passat variant
Meanwhile at finland, unopened bottomend ahu tdi 378bhp for many years.

Kinda gets me to conclusion its all about pcp imep and emp