bmw x5 diesel info

2002tdi

Vendor
TDI
2012 jetta premier DSG
Was possibly looking at buying a mercedes gl320 cdi, but i scrolled across an 2009 x5 diesel for less money. better mpg, more hp and torque. whats everyones thoughts on them? i have never been a bmw fan. last e46 car (2002 3series) was horrible. seems like they have a lot of issues with egr. but a delete and walnut shell blasting and tune will solve that issue.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
These things are monsters with a good tune. Reliability doesn't seem too bad other than EGR/swirl valve soot accumulation and emissions components failing. We have had more problems with Mercedes than every other brand combined, and many shops don't want to touch them. The X5 is definitely a more sporty drive than the GL line as well, have seen fit/finish issues on mercedes SUVs, which I never expected from a car with that badge.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
They like to be driven. 5 mile commutes are not the appropriate use of this engine. Same engine as the 335d, but because it is such a more massive vehicle, the engine works a bit harder, and is happier for it.

Had my 2013 happily cruising down the Interstate today @ 80 mph.

2002tdi

Vendor
TDI
2012 jetta premier DSG
As with most diesels it seems the highway driving is a must. We live in rural Ohio and have a major highway (I-75) 1 mile from our house so it will see a lot of highway time. I’m just worried about the engines being problematic.

2002tdi

Vendor
TDI
2012 jetta premier DSG
These things are monsters with a good tune. Reliability doesn't seem too bad other than EGR/swirl valve soot accumulation and emissions components failing. We have had more problems with Mercedes than every other brand combined, and many shops don't want to touch them. The X5 is definitely a more sporty drive than the GL line as well, have seen fit/finish issues on mercedes SUVs, which I never expected from a car with that badge.
What kinda power does your tuning add to these? Improved mpg?

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
The 335Ds will run well into the 12s with a tune and exhaust. They'll pick up close to 200lb-ft to the wheels and mileage is improved around 10% with deletes. We have more aggressive files than what's listed.

Last edited:

dmanb2b

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta, 2011 335D
What kinda power does your tuning add to these? Improved mpg?
Stock turbos max out at around 380hp and 600ftlb, depending on the tuner. There is a NA (North America) 335d/x5d Facebook page, with many active members that you can get a ton of feedback from on these. I am very happy with the M57 engine