Frequently Asked Questions

RC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Two White 96 B4 Wagons
Loking for a B5 for a friend. What years are the B5's available without the newer high pressure PD injection systems, if any?

Last edited:

TDForNow

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Passat TDI GLS Wagon; 52k, '85 Quantum TD; 487k
You might want to consider selling him one of yours. Non-PD Passats were only available in NA from '95 to '97 and becoming extremely hard to find. Good luck!

sharplikestump

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Some general Question on Passats:
I currently own a 2004 TDI Jetta wagon 5 spd. and love it. However, I drove a 2004 Passat the other day...1.8T gasser, Tiptronic, AWD.(which would be great for here in the mtns of CO. We both loved the car, and would concider adding one to the stable. (NOT parting with the TDI Jetta).
Being clueless on them, I humbly come to the source of knowlege: How do these cars compare for reliability, economy, etc.? Should I even concider the 1.8T or 3.0 6 cyl. gassers? Are some equipped with transverse mounted engines, while others are not? What are the good years? (The 1.8T that I drove was a 2005). PM me if you prefer.
Thanks to all who take the time to share their knowlege.
Mike

dukku

TDI
1.9 PD-TDI AJM
The 1.8 T engine is great .It is also a very "tunable" one. The fuel consumption is about 10 liters/100 km (you make the conversion) and the torque is great. I would chose a 1.8 T.What year?...any year, just check trhe gearbox if you prefer a tiptronic. The oil must be changed every 200 000 km.(In Europe the use multitronic gearboxes too and this one requires an oil change every 60 000 km).

Last edited:

vicius_the_one

TDI
Passat 3b6
Guys, I want to remove my cluster so I attach some LED onto it butI don't know how to open cluster's case and remove needles. And mostly i wanna see how to reset needles back

vicius_the_one

TDI
Passat 3b6
Guys, I want to remove my cluster so I attach some LED onto it butI don't know how to open cluster's case and remove needles. And mostly i wanna see how to reset needles back

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
How about a FAQ concerning timing belt inpection and replacement?
I heard there is an 80k mile replacement requirement vs. the 100k in my manual, but I've not received anything from VW and I'm the original owner. I'll be at 80k this year.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
How about a FAQ concerning timing belt inpection and replacement?
I heard there is an 80k mile replacement requirement vs. the 100k in my manual, but I've not received anything from VW and I'm the original owner. I'll be at 80k this year.
You didn't have it done when you went through all the bother of the balance shaft? That is half the labor already. I had mine replaced at 57k. Yeah it was early but it is good to go about 140k. Oilhammer said the 100k interval was really doable as per timing belts he's seen. I would defer to a guru such as Oilhammer for a final word on this. What is most important if you tear it down for a TB, make sure you replace those timing belt path things such as the tensioner, waterpump and stretch bolts. Don't be foolish cheap.

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
Are you kidding? I was lucky to get VW to just do the BSM on their dime. They were not interested in complicating things in their mind. It would have been nice, but free is the best price.
I will do the whole deal when it's time though, and inspect the cam.
Did anyone here get formally notified by VW of the 80k interval?

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
Heck no. I think the 80k interval is a ruse to get them to see and hear the motor on these cars if they make it that long with the chain driven balance shaft. With that said, I will have mine done when the current belt has 85k on it. I'll have it inspected and if it needs it sooner than fine. Oilhammer told me that many 100k belts look fine. I had my timng belt etc. replaced while Oilhammer was doing the BS gear conversion.

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
Thanks. I heard that inspection of timing belts usually shows nothing to go on, there are no real tell tale signs until just before failure.
So OH or MG or other gurus, True or False?

vicius_the_one

TDI
Passat 3b6
Passat 01-05 1,9 tdi broked it's toothed belt at 179.000km(it has not been changed at 90.000km)....so you can imagine how strong it is.

scottie_boy99

TDI
2003 jetta tdi
i am looking at buying a passat tdi, anywhere from 2003 to 2005, any recommendations as to what year i should get and why? i will be possibly "chipping" it and putting a 2.5" or 3.0" straight pipe exhaust on it... is there any pollution controls on the exhaust? what are these engines rated at stock for hp and torque?..
i am also leaning towards an automatic tranny.... is that a good idea?
thanks for the advice in advance
scott
former 04 jetta owner

JerryKib

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2001, black; Passat SW, 2004, blue
i am looking at buying a passat tdi, anywhere from 2003 to 2005, any recommendations as to what year i should get and why? i will be possibly "chipping" it and putting a 2.5" or 3.0" straight pipe exhaust on it... is there any pollution controls on the exhaust? what are these engines rated at stock for hp and torque?..
scott
former 04 jetta owner
In North America, the Passat was offered with the TDI engine in 2004 and 2005 model years (and some previously in the 1990s). The 2004 - 2005 Passat TDIs only came with a 5 speed auto transmission, and were rated at 134 horsepower and 247 pounds of torque. They came with a catalytic converter in the exhaust system, but no special emmissions controls that I know of otherwise. A search will get you a bunch of info about chipping these engines. Maybe about exhaust pipes, too.

442JOHN

TDI
soon 1999.5 Jetts TDI
Is a 2004 Passat TDI a good car?

We just bought a 199.5 Jetta TDI amd have found 2004 Passat TDI with only 92000 miles on it for under $4000 and was wondering if this is a good car? Sound too cheap to me?

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
At $4k it's a steal but it will cost you more to make it last.

Plan on spending about $3000 to rep[lace the BSM module and VWs other typical screw-ups with this vehicle. If it has transmission problems (not over common but far from rare) another $4k could be needed. If it only neede a torque converter than you could get away with $1200 or so. But even if you had to put all that money into it, it's a pretty good deal.

CoasterMoose

Veteran Member
TDI
Owned and loved a 2005 Passat GLS TDI Wagon - Stonehenge Grey and Unchained!
Love my B5 TDI Wagon.... fuel mileage anyone??

Hi all, great forum!

I recently purchased an 05 Passat TDI Wagon, and was wondering what fuel mileage other B5 Wagon owners are getting.

My first tank of B20 fuel was 36mpg, but my last several tanks of D2 have been around 30mpg. I'm looking into whether the D2 I have been buying has too low of a cetane rating, and if I need additives.

Any feedback and advice will be appreciated. I love this car!

delaware_doug

TDI
Passat B5.5 GLS
Chain Broke, now what?

:eek:I have a '05 B5.5 w/ 142K & I believe the BSM chain broke this morning (I know, I know) what would likely be damaged besides the BSM/chain/sprokets/oil pump? I shut it off ASAP, but is it worth fixing? (I've owned it since 48K, oil/filter every 5K, all servces done, timing belt/tensioner/water pump/flush @ 105K, I just did TC replacement @ 138K & full F&R brakes/pads/rotors/fluid flush, CV boot for $3,150 in Oct. '11 Looking for advice - do I fix w/ gear driven BSM or do a whole reman engine assy? It's staring to be a "money pit"...

Julian

TDI
Passat B5 Estate 130 ( 2003 )
Power loss

Help required & apologies if i missed the subject in the FAQ list, I have a 2003 b5 Passat tdi 130, on a couple of occasions recently the car appears to have gone into what i can only describe as limp mode, it runs but is very low on power, if i stop & turn off the engine then re-start it again it returns to normal, I have checked all the obvious like vacuum pipes off etc, I know of a couple of other people that have the same problem as myself so presume it is not unique to me but more of a common problem, Can anyone shed any light on my situation please,

Cheers Julian.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Find someone with VCDS and have them scan your car. If it is going into "limp mode", there will be a fault code even if the CEL does not come on. It is, most likely, either a leak in the charge air piping, or the vacuum system.

edzha90

TDI
Does anyone know how to check if the battery is good for winter? I will move soon to country where is cold winters with proper snow etc.

I have two batteries now one in the car and one in my another car, how I can check at home which of two batteries would be the best condition?

sarad

TDI
'05 VW passat wagon
hi, im new to VWs and TDIs, I just got an 05' Passat wagon with about 124K and was wondering what are some things I might want to look out for as the miles go on.

brandoniehoff

TDI
2005 Pasaat Sedan
Hi new here. Have a 2005 passat tdi BHW engine. Before and after a fuel filter change the engine will crank, but sometimes not start. It seems to help if you hold the throttle down. Doesn't seem to be any time or temp maybe it does it more after warmed up.
I apologize if I put this in the wrong place.
Thanks!

hughc

TDI
2005 tdi passat
Hi new here. Have a 2005 passat tdi BHW engine. Before and after a fuel filter change the engine will crank, but sometimes not start. It seems to help if you hold the throttle down. Doesn't seem to be any time or temp maybe it does it more after warmed up.
I apologize if I put this in the wrong place.
Thanks!
Both times that I've replaced the fuel filter I've toggled the ignition switch 12 to 15 times before starting the engine, in an attempt to properly prime the fuel system.
In both cases the engine started up immediately and ran flawlessly.
Definitely worth a try.

SaxmanKana

Veteran Member
TDI
Dweisel's Diesel, 2000 Blue Beetle 5 speed
scott
former 04 jetta owner
I have been checking out a few on my local CL. 03-05 all PD engines? Any year better?

Thanks, Dave