Violent Shaking on Acceleration

CrossGolf

TDI
2008 Golf Plus Dune 1.9 tdi
Since last week our car (57 plate 1.9 tdi VW Cross Golf, based on Golf Plus) has begun shaking really violently when accelerating. It isn’t felt through the steering wheel, literally the entire car is shaking and all passengers can feel it. It only happens on acceleration and as soon as I lift my foot off, it stops. If I depress the clutch, it stops immediately too. It’s mostly felt between 1800-2200 revs and will eventually even out at more than that. Worse in 4th and 5th gears.

We’ve done:
New front drive shafts both sides (Shaftec)
Fuel filter
DMF (replaced with Valeo single mass conversion kit, I know there are fors and againsts for this...)
Clutch (done with DMF)
Oil filter
Oil change
Front shocks (<5k)
New front springs (<5k)
New drop links

We’ve checked but not replaced
Engine mounts
Dog bone
Swapped the front wheels to the back

Now we’re out of ideas. Everything points to worn Inner CV Joints but the new driveshafts have made no difference. I have heard of aftermarket shafts causing this issue so would it be worth getting some second hand genuine OEM shafts or am I just throwing good money after bad?

What else could it possibly be? Grateful for any advice. Thank you.

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
I had something very similar on my alh bug some years ago. It turned out to be a bad injector. I know, different fuel system but might be worth investigating.

CrossGolf

TDI
Had the car on ramps yesterday and inspected all bushes. All look great, no play or movement whatsoever. Replaced the engine/gearbox mount (passenger side on U.K. car) and no difference. We also put the new cv joint on the original oem drive shaft and no difference there either.

We’ve got a code reader and it’s not throwing up any codes at all which I would expect it to if there was an injector issue?

I’m so confused!! :confused:

CrossGolf

TDI
Just to add... The car is running perfectly, better than ever before and I ran it up to 80mph on axle stands and it didn’t make shake until 80 and even then only a minor vibration, not the bone shaking it usually does when driving.

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
had one PD car that felt like axle vibration and it ended up being flat cam. Ran fine at idle but once loaded up the engine would misfire shaking the car. Pull the valve cover and inspect the cam.

CrossGolf

TDI
Have you checked for play in the gearbox output flange When the axles were off? I know Seat tdi gearboxes around that particular year were notorious for problems, not familiar with golf cross one.

How are the wheel bearings?

Have you looked at the back axle yet?
Checked all the bushes at the back and no movement at all there. They all look fine. Rear axle is fine too but rear shock absorbers are completely shot. Got more to replace them tonight. Wheel bearings also seem fine, no noises from them.

The camshaft thing is looking the most likely possibility at the moment, sadly. :(

The car has done 129k so could very well be the case, however I’m surprised that it’s come on so suddenly. Literally fine one day and death rattle (great analogy!) the next. I took it out for a spin this morning with a friend for their opinion and noticed it drove perfectly when cold. As soon as we got up to temperature, the shaking was back with a vengeance. Puzzling.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
When you replaced the rear dampers, did you replace the bushings/mounts for them too? I don't know if your car has them or not, but worn shock mounts will rattle too.

CrossGolf

TDI
had one PD car that felt like axle vibration and it ended up being flat cam. Ran fine at idle but once loaded up the engine would misfire shaking the car. Pull the valve cover and inspect the cam.

YOU ARE MY SAVIOUR!!!!!

Took the valve cover off and the cams are really badly worn. New camshaft it is then!

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
YOU ARE MY SAVIOUR!!!!!
Took the valve cover off and the cams are really badly worn. New camshaft it is then!
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Awe shucks...

FYI... got a youtube channel with tons of Vw diagnosis info. You should subscribe (link in signature below). When I come to the UK I want you to buy me a dinner! Might be 5-10 years from now.

Nailed

Last edited: