Upper control arm question

cneagle87

TDI
2005 Passat TDI
Im approaching 220k on my 05 passat tdi. My upper control arm inner bushings are bad. How hard is it to replace just the bushings and not the entire arms? is that even recommended considering the miles on it. Im not wanting to drop a ton of money on this fix as I will be getting a new vehicle pretty soon.

Guess my question is would it be better to replace the bushings or replace the control arms but not with oem arms.

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
Im approaching 220k on my 05 passat tdi. My upper control arm inner bushings are bad. How hard is it to replace just the bushings and not the entire arms? is that even recommended considering the miles on it. Im not wanting to drop a ton of money on this fix as I will be getting a new vehicle pretty soon.
Guess my question is would it be better to replace the bushings or replace the control arms but not with oem arms.

You can replace the bushings fairly easily on all the control arms if you have or have access to a hydraulic press and associated dies to press the bushing out.
Before you do replace the bushings, you have to make sure the ball joint is tight and the boot is in good condition. If not, then you should replace the control arm.

Reputable brand bushings are available at very reasonable prices. In fact if the ball joint is in great condition, just replacing the bushing with a reputable brand like Lemförder, would probably make the original factory control arm last longer than a Chinese made Meyle, Febi, Uro and etc.

The upper bushing part number is 4B0 407 515.

Here is the Lemförder brand for 10 bucks.
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/au...-arm-bushing-front-upper-lemfoerder-4b0407515

cneagle87

TDI
2005 Passat TDI
Thank you all for the input. Could I use a puller tool with the right size socket and impact gun to push the old bushings out and put new ones in? since I don't have a hydraulic press.

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
Thank you all for the input. Could I use a puller tool with the right size socket and impact gun to push the old bushings out and put new ones in? since I don't have a hydraulic press.
Luckily I have a hydraulic press, so it was very easy for me. But here is a work around for not having a press. You can drill a hole through the side of the metal casing of the bushing and then hammer the whole thing out.

Then you can get a 8 or so inch long and 10mm diameter grade 8 threaded rod/bolt along with your sockets and associated nuts and washers to thread down bushing in.

The four upper bushings have a diameter about 46.5 mm, 40 mm thick and has about a 10mm bolt hole.

This fella shows you how you can drill it out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaioFT6GUhI

For what's it's worth... If you screw up, you an always buy a new arm. :eek:

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
That method will not work. If you try it, only the rubber portion of the bushing would get ripped out. You will still need to remove the outer metal ring/case, but perhaps using a socket or die with it might work. Also if you try to install using that method without the use of a socket or die, you'll probably end up ripping the new bushing. It's not a solid piece like in the video, there are two hole in the bushing. I am guess to allow it to flex easily when the arm goes up and down.

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
My concern would be the puller being stable with the socket when you tighten it down. It might go cockeyed, then issues start and integrity is compromised. But if you are willing, and go in thinking if you screw it up, you'll need to get a new arm. I say there is a good chance it would be fine, try it and report back, because there are probably many like you who is interested in this route also.